That Schedule Reveal was bogus ...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

That Schedule Reveal was bogus ...

Post by Versus75 »

... in my humble opinion.

They (the commentators on the SEC payroll) went to great lengths to tell us what great lengths they (the SEC) went to in crafting a perfect schedule.

And they pointed out at least 14 times that every one of the current SEC schools will play either Oklahoma or Texas next season.

But they failed to say (aka, intentionally omitted) that this is just a one-off and there is no guarantee that the format will continue.

That's just BS!

To the SEC: I believe you came up with a good format. I know you put a lot into it. But IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS SUCH A GOOD FORMAT, COMMIT TO RUN AT LEAST A FOUR-YEAR CYCLE! In that time, every team in the new 16-school SEC would have played every other team at least once Home and Away.

You're not even going to commit to a TWO-YEAR CYCLE that would assure each team plays BOTH Texas and Oklahoma in those two years. I guess it at least spares you from having to declare which teams are paired as Permanent Opponents. (I suppose this schedule points out that Vanderbilt's PO isn't Ole Miss.)

If you're thought process is: Maybe we SHOULD go to a 9-game conference schedule ... then JUST DO IT NOW! (not actually a shameless plug; I don't even care for Nike.)

P.S. What is this crap about AUTONOMOUS 5?

I never heard the term before. When I google "autonomous 5" the top results have to do with bacterial RNAs and other medical mumbo-jumbo. I had to dig deeper to find a reference to AUTONOMOUS 5 CONFERENCES as ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-12, SEC. That's what we used to call POWER 5 CONFERENCES.

Then why the INCLUSION of Central Florida as an "Autonomous 5 opponent"? And why the EXCLUSION of 2024 Vanderbilt opponent Southern Methodist? SMU is in the same conference (AAC) as UCF.

Tulane, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis are usually pretty good. Temple beat the pants off Vanderbilt a few years back. As the SEC is still considered one of the Big Dogs, maybe we need to talk about the AUTONOMOUS 6.

VUDU
Lieutenant

Re: That Schedule Reveal was bogus ...

Post by VUDU »

UCF is moving to the Big 12 along with Houston and Cincinnati.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: That Schedule Reveal was bogus ...

Post by FayetteDore »

Well, as was well reported during and prior to the recent SEC meeting in Destin, Sankey wants a 9-game schedule but there was not full support for that among the schools (especially when Lord Saban began expressing reservations after seeing that his permanent opponents would likely be Auburn, LSU and Tennessee too. Personally, I'd rather face Auburn every year than Georgia.). And so they punted, opting for the one-year, eight-game approach, eliminating divisions, and working Texas and OU in -- while, presumably, Sankey works to sway opinion toward his own.

It's the conference's version of parliamentary politics: if you don't have enough votes for your initiative, delay.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic