Commissioner: Nashville a WNBA expansion possibility by 2025

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: Commissioner: Nashville a WNBA expansion possibility by 2025

Post by OldDude »

Guess they have identified the cities whose leadership is stupid enough to take on the financial obligation that inevitably goes with supporting pro sports. The WNBA has never shown a profit and has average attendance of only about 5600 per game in some of America's leading cities.

Nashville is backing a billion$+ investment in a new stadium for the Titans and is locked into deals with hockey, soccer and minor league baseball. Each of these potentially puts Nashvillians on the hook as to bond issues and tax breaks. We don't need this level of involvement with another sports team especially one who needs cash infusion from the NBA to survive.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

OldDude wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:03 pm
Guess they have identified the cities whose leadership is stupid enough to take on the financial obligation that inevitably goes with supporting pro sports.
Then Louisville must be on that list.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I don't know about the economics, but this would be great news for real basketball. Best sports decision I ever made was buying season tickets to see the Houston Comets when they won four consecutive championships.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VU1970 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:23 pm
I don't know about the economics, but this would be great news for real basketball. Best sports decision I ever made was buying season tickets to see the Houston Comets when they won four consecutive championships.
I know it is great to follow a winner, but the economics are my concern. Houston folded and couldn't succeed in an area 5 times the population of Nashville shortly after a streak of 4 consecutive league titles , seems to suggest that the WNBA isn't the most attractive entertainment. I really don't want Nashville tied to yet another sports venture especially one that seems shaky. I assume that everyone has a budget that includes a ceiling on how much they are willing / able to spend on entertainment. A WNBA team would have to find uncommited sports dollars among the population or pry dollars away from NFL, NHL, MiLB or soccer ticket bases - don't see that happening. Thanks for listening and certainly tell me if I am wrong - won't be the first time :lol: .
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

OldDude wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:00 pm
VU1970 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:23 pm
I know it is great to follow a winner, but the economics are my concern. Houston folded and couldn't succeed in an area 5 times the population of Nashville shortly after a streak of 4 consecutive league titles , seems to suggest that the WNBA isn't the most attractive entertainment. I really don't want Nashville tied to yet another sports venture especially one that seems shaky. I assume that everyone has a budget that includes a ceiling on how much they are willing / able to spend on entertainment. A WNBA team would have to find uncommited sports dollars among the population or pry dollars away from NFL, NHL, MiLB or soccer ticket bases - don't see that happening. Thanks for listening and certainly tell me if I am wrong - won't be the first time :lol: .
We may both be right (or wrong). Judging entertainment value by attendance figures or TV viewership is one way to do it. Another is to see a few games and decide for yourself whether you feel you've been entertained.
Locked Previous topicNext topic