Podcast: James Franklin talks about leaving VU & the commitment level

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Podcast: James Franklin talks about leaving VU & the commitment level

Post by BrentVU »

Several months ago Clark Lea appeared on Bronco Mendenhall's podcast "Head Coach U", and it was one of the best interviews anyone has ever done with him. In a more recent episode Mendenhall interviews James Franklin and asks him about leaving the Vanderbilt job for Penn State. Franklin gives a long-winded answer, saying "nobody wanted that [Vanderbilt] job" when he took it... and saying that all coaches are looking for a place where the commitment is on the same level with the expectations, and there aren't that many like that.

Skip to about 24:30 to hear his answer. P.S. This is a very good podcast.

https://youtu.be/CNB1YXPZg60

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Podcast: James Franklin talks about leaving VU & the commitment level

Post by FayetteDore »

Just FYI, on the version I watched at the link, the "Let's be honest, nobody wanted that job" part starts about 9 minutes in.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

Fayette I know you are Vanderbilt and UT fan which has no bearing on my statement but until franklin has publicly stated that he was wrong (or regretted) on poaching the players that Vanderbilt funded the recruitment process I have no empathy for and will not listen to his BS.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Mike, He doesn't and he won't. While i'll always appreciate the results on the field those 3 years, i also realize he personally was slime.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Maybe people's answers would stay the same, but what if the kids wanted to go with Franklin to Penn State? Maybe some would argue that he should have told them no. That's not a completely unreasonable take, but its fairly impractical and it usually doesn't work that way. My guess is that a lot of the kids want to play for a coach so they would want to follow the staff if they leave and the opportunity to play at Penn State would likely be pretty special for a lot of kids.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Maybe he owes the guys he recruited to VU and are in jail an apology for leaving them high and dry. Talk about getting out of town when the going gets tough...
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

This 60 year fan and legacy alumnus is always stunned by the vitriol directed at Franklin. He did exactly what every and any head coach does in the slimy world of college athletics- (ne professional sport minor leagues). He bolted when he got a better offer, as did his recruits.

The fact that he was able to accomplish what he did with limited talent, resources and reputation at VU is truly remarkable. And he certainly should not be blamed for the actions of the men who carried out/refused to prevent an unspeakable crime. He earned his salary-few did, including the administrators in Kirkland.

I for one will be grateful that he was here. One man's opinion.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

MikenNashville wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:38 pm Fayette I know you are Vanderbilt and UT fan which has no bearing on my statement but until franklin has publicly stated that he was wrong (or regretted) on poaching the players that Vanderbilt funded the recruitment process I have no empathy for and will not listen to his BS.
Thanks Mike but just for the record, I didn't post the podcast; I just pinpointed the Vanderbilt part. And btw, there were (and are) plenty of rising coaches who would jump at a VU coaching job. Obviously CJf was one.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
wbl
Rear Admiral

Post by wbl »

jpmando wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:49 pm This 60 year fan and legacy alumnus is always stunned by the vitriol directed at Franklin. He did exactly what every and any head coach does in the slimy world of college athletics- (ne professional sport minor leagues). He bolted when he got a better offer, as did his recruits.

The fact that he was able to accomplish what he did with limited talent, resources and reputation at VU is truly remarkable. And he certainly should not be blamed for the actions of the men who carried out/refused to prevent an unspeakable crime. He earned his salary-few did, including the administrators in Kirkland.

Indeed, sir, well done…the three years he was our coach were my three best years of Vandy football. Why?

Because every game day—with a couple exceptions—I woke up thinking we could win. Not would, could.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

jpmando wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:49 pm This 60 year fan and legacy alumnus is always stunned by the vitriol directed at Franklin. He did exactly what every and any head coach does in the slimy world of college athletics- (ne professional sport minor leagues). He bolted when he got a better offer, as did his recruits.

Couldn't agree more. Best years of VU football in a looooong time
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

By force of his will, he convinced the players they could win, they should win. And they did win. I will never forget his first year, running up and down the sidelines during the UCONN game, yelling at the players "this is not the same old Vanderbilt" over and over. I hated that he left, but I didn't hate him for leaving.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

A lot of the same personal traits that lead to success at Vanderbilt lead him to leave.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Nothing’s simple. The SEC East was down in those years which surely helped. But he had a fire and an ability to recruit that up to now have been second to none in my lifetime.
The scandal and lack of controls in that dorm, however, were horrible. I have no idea what was or wasn’t covered up. Regardless it was a huge hole in his legacy.
I’m hoping we can be equally if not more successful via Coach Lea’s approach. Time will tell
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Wild speculation: If it hadn't been for "the *scandal", and CDD had been here, with the obvious display of support, would he have stayed, if offered any job but PSU? xADDW, for all the grief thrown at him, and i have absolutely given my share of it, did offer him a 10-year $50 mil contract.

*which, i guess everyone remembers this... but for any newbies, was discovered by accident: they were looking for something else.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I doubt he would have stayed long-term. Franklin was never going to be a lifer at a place like VU. Mason could've been. Lea definitely could be. Bobby Johnson was that type of guy. But not Franklin. And I don't see that as an issue, you need that sometimes. I always have given him a pass for moving on after three pretty good years for our on the field product. What happened in that dorm was obviously despicable. I question how much control he had over that happening, but it happened.
DoreDoc
Commander

Post by DoreDoc »

I wonder if the fact that it was the Penn State job made a difference. He is from PA There are only a few marquis programs in that region to begin with and there had only been 2 head coaches at that job in the prior 49 years (Paterno for 46 of those). The opportunity to land that job has been rare. Maybe a similar offer at another program may have been a no or match it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic