The 3 incoming transfers

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

The 3 incoming transfers

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nice write up from the athletics department:
https://vucommodores.com/three-transfers/

rEvUrB
Captain

Re: The 3 incoming transfers

Post by rEvUrB »

This is a great looking group of newcomers (HS signees included). Lot of versatility. The big guys can shoot and the guards can rebound. Ven-Allen Lublin looks to be an exception to that rule but sounds like an athletic hustle player in the mold of James Siakam. Feeling optimistic.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Yes, great publicity from VU - I even got an email to visit the site from them
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I look forward to their addition to the team. Also look forward to a certain poster eating LOTS of crow.

To stay within forum rules, I won't call out his screen name. But everybody knows who that is.

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

rEvUrB wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am This is a great looking group of newcomers (HS signees included). Lot of versatility. The big guys can shoot and the guards can rebound. Ven-Allen Lublin looks to be an exception to that rule but sounds like an athletic hustle player in the mold of James Siakam. Feeling optimistic.
Taylor is a career 40% three point shooter, shooting 42% from three last season. Kamateros shot over 38% from three last season and is over 37% for his career. I wouldn't consider Taylor to be a "big guy" from a positional standpoint though he is not small, especially for a wing.

Last season we shot 33.6% as a team, thought that number went up to 34.5% in conference. Overall that made us a very average three point shooting team, though we relied heavily upon the three in our offense. The players we lost, even though some on paper were our three point shooters, shot 33.1% from three as a group. It was most of the volume, but the returners shot 35.6% from three. Hopefully this leads to better percentages overall.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:45 pm
rEvUrB wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am This is a great looking group of newcomers (HS signees included). Lot of versatility. The big guys can shoot and the guards can rebound. Ven-Allen Lublin looks to be an exception to that rule but sounds like an athletic hustle player in the mold of James Siakam. Feeling optimistic.
Taylor is a career 40% three point shooter, shooting 42% from three last season. Kamateros shot over 38% from three last season and is over 37% for his career. I wouldn't consider Taylor to be a "big guy" from a positional standpoint though he is not small, especially for a wing.

Last season we shot 33.6% as a team, thought that number went up to 34.5% in conference. Overall that made us a very average three point shooting team, though we relied heavily upon the three in our offense. The players we lost, even though some on paper were our three point shooters, shot 33.1% from three as a group. It was most of the volume, but the returners shot 35.6% from three. Hopefully this leads to better percentages overall.
I always felt like, in the small amount of basketball I watch, that if you hit the long ball, it opens up all other opportunities on offense. Sometimes defenders get airborne when closing out on a jump shooter...then the shooter can then drive right around him for a much higher percentage shot or drive and kick out to a really open three point shooter. Or so I've heard.

And with good spacing and a guy who can make his 3's from the top of key...that can open up some very good high-low options even if your low post guys doesn't have the skills of Jokic or Anthony Davis. All manors of good mismatches that favor the offense can happen. They tell me that stuff happens if the "D" has to honor the threat of the three.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:42 pm
Jason94 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:45 pm

I always felt like, in the small amount of basketball I watch, that if you hit the long ball, it opens up all other opportunities on offense. Sometimes defenders get airborne when closing out on a jump shooter...then the shooter can then drive right around him for a much higher percentage shot or drive and kick out to a really open three point shooter. Or so I've heard.

And with good spacing and a guy who can make his 3's from the top of key...that can open up some very good high-low options even if your low post guys doesn't have the skills of Jokic or Anthony Davis. All manors of good mismatches that favor the offense can happen. They tell me that stuff happens if the "D" has to honor the threat of the three.
Note that we had a really good offense last year despite being a very average (at best) shooting team. Not saying we will necessarily better, but if CJS could figure out how to make last year's team a good scoring team, imagine what he can do with a team that can actually shoot the ball (which he has not had to this point). We will have to do what we did last year in not turning the ball over, which may be difficult, but Manjon and Lawrence are back, and they were the primary ballhandlers last season and were both very good at avoiding turnovers. The transfers all did a good job with ball control last season as well.

Add that to an improved defense (which I think is very possible if not likely) and we have all the makings of a tournament team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic