OT somewhat: Wake Forest Pitching

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

OT somewhat: Wake Forest Pitching

Post by geeznotagain »

As most every poster on this board knows, Wake Forest is the Number 1 national seed. Are they really that good? What do they excel in? My older son graduated from Wake, so I have watched a few of their games this year on the ACC Network and on good old espn+. And while I don’t claim to be an expert, I have looked at their stats and read some stuff on their website, and thought some of you might find the following info interesting.

First, their offense is not too shabby. They are 20th in D1 in BA and 5th in runs scored. But pitching is where they really stand out. They lead D1 in ERA, and it’s not even close. Wake’s ERA is a sparkling 2.78. Number 2 in the country is the orange slime from Knoxville with 3.60 (Vandy is 19th at 4.27). While most of the good work on the mound comes from “homegrown” talent, they did add 3 pitchers who contributed this year by way of a 2023 transfer: 1 from Tulane, 1 from Northwestern, and 1 from Dartmouth. They also added 3 position player transfers.

On their website, Wake touts their “Wake Forest Pitching Lab”. And they describe it as a “state of the art facility [with] cutting edge technology and an expert staff helping pitchers at all levels reduce risk of injury and improve performance”. The staff includes individuals from their medical school, and on their baseball staff they have a “Director of Analytics” (Google it if you want more specifics). Perhaps much of this is hype, but the product they have helped to produce is superior. Even with a healthy Owen and Holton, I think Wake’s staff compares favorably with Vandy’s. No, they didn’t pitch in the SEC, but the ACC has some excellent teams.

Just food for thought. Make of it what you will.

commadore
Admiral

Re: OT somewhat: Wake Forest Pitching

Post by commadore »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:24 am As most every poster on this board knows, Wake Forest is the Number 1 national seed. Are they really that good? What do they excel in? My older son graduated from Wake, so I have watched a few of their games this year on the ACC Network and on good old espn+. And while I don’t claim to be an expert, I have looked at their stats and read some stuff on their website, and thought some of you might find the following info interesting.

First, their offense is not too shabby. They are 20th in D1 in BA and 5th in runs scored. But pitching is where they really stand out. They lead D1 in ERA, and it’s not even close. Wake’s ERA is a sparkling 2.78. Number 2 in the country is the orange slime from Knoxville with 3.60 (Vandy is 19th at 4.27). While most of the good work on the mound comes from “homegrown” talent, they did add 3 pitchers who contributed this year by way of a 2023 transfer: 1 from Tulane, 1 from Northwestern, and 1 from Dartmouth. They also added 3 position player transfers.

On their website, Wake touts their “Wake Forest Pitching Lab”. And they describe it as a “state of the art facility [with] cutting edge technology and an expert staff helping pitchers at all levels reduce risk of injury and improve performance”. The staff includes individuals from their medical school, and on their baseball staff they have a “Director of Analytics” (Google it if you want more specifics). Perhaps much of this is hype, but the product they have helped to produce is superior. Even with a healthy Owen and Holton, I think Wake’s staff compares favorably with Vandy’s. No, they didn’t pitch in the SEC, but the ACC has some excellent teams.

Just food for thought. Make of it what you will.
Maybe we should send some of the staff, Brown and others, over to see how to prevent pitcher injury.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

What great insight to their success!! They are one school that I never considered to ever have a top notch program and always thought Duke would eventually rival our success.I find it interesting that their 3 transfers came from private universities, much like our Duke transfer…..it’s a wonder he didn’t choose Wake, but I guess he wanted to leave the ACC. Transfers are out there and if we are going to be competitive I believe we are going to have to be more active.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:38 pm What great insight to their success!! They are one school that I never considered to ever have a top notch program and always thought Duke would eventually rival our success.I find it interesting that their 3 transfers came from private universities, much like our Duke transfer…..it’s a wonder he didn’t choose Wake, but I guess he wanted to leave the ACC. Transfers are out there and if we are going to be competitive I believe we are going to have to be more active.
Well...Penn is good in baseball right now. Let's get a few of their guys. Academics shouldn't be an issue. #7 academic school in America and all.

Five of their guys hit over .300

They had a pitcher that went 4-0 with a 2.37 era and a guy with a 1.83 era.
Locked Previous topicNext topic