An unlikely rival for Vanderbilt in recruiting: Wisconsin

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

An unlikely rival for Vanderbilt in recruiting: Wisconsin

Post by BrentVU »

Luke Fickell, the former Cincinnati coach who took the job at Wisconsin, is off to a great start with recruiting for the Badgers. This week he got commitments from two recruits Vandy very much would like to have had...

Hank Weber of Brentwood Academy is one of the top DL recruits in the midstate. Ryan Cory, an OL from Pittsburgh, had an official visit planned for later this month to Vanderbilt. Both of them committed to the Badgers this week shortly after making on-campus visits last weekend to Madison. Cory has canceled his Vanderbilt visit. From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

“I went into that Wisconsin visit not thinking of committing as a possibility,” Cory said. “I was stern about taking the three official visits. But getting to see everything at Wisconsin, it was just so perfect. I can’t explain it, other than it felt like a perfect fit. So I decided not to take the other two visits.”

Cory said Wisconsin recruited him the hardest of any schools.

“They didn’t recruit me the longest,” he said. “They offered me only after last season, but I have not been in contact with coaches more than with them. It was constant and it wasn’t just one person. It was pretty much a chunk of their staff.”

Not sure how he's doing it, but Fickell is already getting it done at Wisconsin. He lured air-raid master Phil Longo away from North Carolina as his offensive coordinator. I think he's going to revive that program pretty quickly.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: An unlikely rival for Vanderbilt in recruiting: Wisconsin

Post by BrentVU »

P.S. It was about this time last year, in June, that I visited the Wisconsin campus. THIS TIME of year, it's a very beautiful and impressive place, right on the lake, with gorgeous weather. But recruits get caught up in that and don't think about what it's going to be like in December and January.
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Was in Wisconsin years ago and saw a t-shirt that said Wisconsin Weather: each month was listed with "$hi**y"after it except for August with "absolutely beautiful".
VUadmiral
Commander

Post by VUadmiral »

4 seasons in Wisconsin are
June
July
August
Winter
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

“I went into that Wisconsin visit not thinking of committing as a possibility,” Cory said. “I was stern about taking the three official visits. But getting to see everything at Wisconsin, it was just so perfect. I can’t explain it, other than it felt like a perfect fit. So I decided not to take the other two visits.”

Let's face it: 16- and 17-year-old high school kids don't always think rationally. WE know that he's shortchanging himself by not visiting his two other schools and jumping at the first one, without benefit of comparison. You'd hope that parents would help advise.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

I don’t know about the kid from PA, but the one from Brentwood Academy might be in the transfer portal after experiencing a year of the frozen tundra.
Locked Previous topicNext topic