Tonight's announcers won't be on site

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Tonight's announcers won't be on site

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Ridiculous. Cheap move by ESPN.

And baseball is by far the hardest of the big three sports to call from the home office.

Saminator92
Seaman

Re: Tonight's announcers won't be on site

Post by Saminator92 »

At this point, ESPN is that in-law who irritates you rather often, but alas you're stuck with him.... If they would spend less time and energy on non- sports crap (sorry), then maybe they could fly people to the sites....
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

All the more reason to listen to Andrew Allegretta's radio broadcast.
In some respects baseball games (if you cannot attend them in person) are paired better with radio than television.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I suspect most of us share my love-hate relationship with all things ESPN. Love the breadth and number of games telecast by ESPN. Hate everything else about it.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Maybe it will be better.

They get too chummy while sitting in the booth together. Put a guest in there as well and the announcers tend to forget about the game.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The announcers didn't SAY they are not personally at Hawkins Field, but the Ole Miss memorabilia behind Dellucci kinda gives it away.

ESPN must spend a small fortune on equipment trucks, production personnel, etc. Another couple thousand in expenses for the guys IN FRONT OF THE CAMERAS shouldn't make much difference.

And the result would be so much better! They would be able to talk to the players and coaches; become familiar with the nuances of our ballpark, fans, etc.; and report on what the viewers don't see because there are just not enough cameras. If a big story broke (injury, play-of-the-century), announcement of a huge facilities upgrade) they would be right there to report on it.

Sigh. :cry:
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I suspect part of the ESPN thinking is that one remote broadcast team can call three, maybe four games in one day. I don't like it, but they didn't ask me. Bastards.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Levon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:03 pm I suspect most of us share my love-hate relationship with all things ESPN. Love the breadth and number of games telecast by ESPN. Hate everything else about it.
ESPN is one of the best things to happen to sports... and one of the worst. (Sorry for just rewording your post.)
Locked Previous topicNext topic