Massive renovation of The Hawk announced!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Massive renovation of The Hawk announced!

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Wow. Just wow.

https://vucommodores.com/vandy-united-u ... ins-field/

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Massive renovation of The Hawk announced!

Post by VUaskew »

VUAD is walking the walk.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

They do all that and this will be the best venue in the entire country!
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Well….I am impressed with these renderings. The Hawk is going to be one beautiful ballpark after this.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Interesting! The covering over and behind the seating area appears to be some sort of glass or screen. Hope it is screen that also keep some of the sun and rain out.

Wonder if the RF building will contain a locker room for the visiting team and maybe restrooms for the outfield and 1st base stands.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I see where they are installing "partially submerged" Premium boxes behind home plate. (Wonder what they will cost per season?) That will remind me of Dodger stadium where the man in his coat and tie with the Panama Fedora hat used to stand with his jugs gun keeping up with pitches.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

That is absolutely incredible!
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... l_View.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... c=48665701

Reminds me of the Cape Town stadium feel (I hope the links work).
I wonder if the fair poles will be capped at the grandstand height as shown. Maybe the green monster seats will, in the left-center part, swivel.
This is great.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

After studying the renderings a little more as well as reading the descriptions like "Multiple private suite opportunities" and "exclusive opera style boxes", this expansion will be not only aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, most of the new seating is going to high dollar to purchase. The common fan will still be relegated to the outfield seats in terms of price. Looks like when its all said and done, there will be around 500 new seating opportunities which will push seating capacity over 4,000.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Well deserved. Name: Corbin Stadium?

A tip of the cap to our AD and Chancellor, too.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Haptown wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 am
Wonder if the RF building will contain … restrooms for the outfield and 1st base stands.
No. My understanding is that you will still have to go into Memorial to take a pee.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

DS2001 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:49 pm After studying the renderings a little more as well as reading the descriptions like "Multiple private suite opportunities" and "exclusive opera style boxes", this expansion will be not only aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, most of the new seating is going to high dollar to purchase. The common fan will still be relegated to the outfield seats in terms of price. Looks like when its all said and done, there will be around 500 new seating opportunities which will push seating capacity over 4,000.
There is no way that is only 500 more seats.
In the drawing, the Home Run Deck has roughly 180 seats.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

The current capacity is around 3800 and the article said the upper grandstand enhancements would be“PART of raising capacity by more than 10%” which is another 380 seats. I was generous and said 15% which would be 570 new seats and would up capacity to 4,370.
Unless I’m missing something, that’s how I understood the article. I hope they can raise capacity to closer to 5,000 somehow.
BDR-Dore
Chief

Post by BDR-Dore »

Last year was my first as a season ticket holder. I was surprised how sparse the crowd was for opening weekend. I thought it had to be packed for SEC games. It wasn't, except for the UT series. This year was the same. Do we really want more empty seats for regular season games? I can't wait to upgrade my Hawks Nest tix when the renovation is complete. Vandy Nation show up and show out for regionals.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

DS2001 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:03 pm The current capacity is around 3800 and the article said the upper grandstand enhancements would be“PART of raising capacity by more than 10%” which is another 380 seats. I was generous and said 15% which would be 570 new seats and would up capacity to 4,370.
Unless I’m missing something, that’s how I understood the article. I hope they can raise capacity to closer to 5,000 somehow.
It says "A new deck of seats above the existing grandstand." If you notice, the rendering shows the lower stands being extended to the foul poll, which the do not currently do. If you look at the home run deck, it has three sections of five rows, each row with 12 seats. From this it HAS to be more than 380.
Last edited by commadore on Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

BDR-dore, the age old issue with Hawkins Field is that most all of the infield seats are sold out, but people, for some reason, won’t use their tickets or give them to someone to use. It’s the most ridiculous thing that many of the infield seats sit empty weekend after weekend. It looks terrible on TV.
I don’t know what can be done about it. I guess nothing. The athletic Dept. is not going to say anything that would “offend’ a Season ticket holder.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

DS2001 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:22 pm BDR-dore, the age old issue with Hawkins Field is that most all of the infield seats are sold out, but people, for some reason, won’t use their tickets or give them to someone to use. It’s the most ridiculous thing that many of the infield seats sit empty weekend after weekend. It looks terrible on TV.
I don’t know what can be done about it. I guess nothing. The athletic Dept. is not going to say anything that would “offend’ a Season ticket holder.
After they sell all the outfield tickets they could encourage any seat holder to move any place they want to sit after 3rd inning.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:24 pm
DS2001 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:22 pm BDR-dore, the age old issue with Hawkins Field is that most all of the infield seats are sold out, but people, for some reason, won’t use their tickets or give them to someone to use. It’s the most ridiculous thing that many of the infield seats sit empty weekend after weekend. It looks terrible on TV.
After they sell all the outfield tickets they could encourage any seat holder to move any place they want to sit after 3rd inning.
Sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me. Do you know if this happens in other SEC baseball parks?
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

The issue is with Sections E and F which are the ones seen on TV with every pitch.

Those are protected throughout the game; the others are not. You just have to be ready to move when someone comes along and says, “That’s my seat.”

If I get to game late and someone is in MY seat, I usually just find another nearby… until someone else comes along and says, “You’re in my seat.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic