Another victim of the SEC meatgrinder: Missouri coach fired

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Another victim of the SEC meatgrinder: Missouri coach fired

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Steve Bieser did a decent job at Missouri, but it's a significantly underfunded program relative to its SEC brethren and he could never get over the hump despite showing promise at times this year. (As an example, I know Mizzou flew commercial on Southwest to Nashville for its series last year with Vandy. That means a two-hour bus ride on both ends of the trip from Columbia to and from St. Louis.)

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: Another victim of the SEC meatgrinder: Missouri coach fired

Post by Doreknox »

Nothing would be sweeter than Tony Vitello returning to MO, his alma mater. TN fans would plotz.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

nm
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Wed May 31, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:56 am Steve Bieser did a decent job at Missouri, but it's a significantly underfunded program relative to its SEC brethren and he could never get over the hump despite showing promise at times this year. (As an example, I know Mizzou flew commercial on Southwest to Nashville for its series last year with Vandy. That means a two-hour bus ride on both ends of the trip from Columbia to and from St. Louis.)
This is from a very uneducated place, but do college baseball teams fly small 50 person jets when flying private for games? I would imagine those are more cost-effective given the size of baseball teams vs. a football team. And what about basketball teams? Never seemed to make much sense to fly private with so few people. But maybe that's why every athletic department needs football in order to keep them afloat.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

vandy05 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:34 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:56 am Steve Bieser did a decent job at Missouri, but it's a significantly underfunded program relative to its SEC brethren and he could never get over the hump despite showing promise at times this year. (As an example, I know Mizzou flew commercial on Southwest to Nashville for its series last year with Vandy. That means a two-hour bus ride on both ends of the trip from Columbia to and from St. Louis.)
This is from a very uneducated place, but do college baseball teams fly small 50 person jets when flying private for games? I would imagine those are more cost-effective given the size of baseball teams vs. a football team. And what about basketball teams? Never seemed to make much sense to fly private with so few people. But maybe that's why every athletic department needs football in order to keep them afloat.
It depends. The biggest reason why teams fly charter is schedule. I don't have to take players out of class to make a flight, I don't have to worry about flight delays, I don't have to worry about what time or day the team will get back. Some power conference basketball teams are still flying 50-seat regional jets (which can be uncomfortable even for us who are not 6'7"), but many are flying 70/75-seaters now or even mainline aircraft.

I know the VandyBoys have regularly flown Delta charters for some of their trips, which, yes, is a helluva lot of space on a 717, Airbus 319, or 737.

In Missouri's case in particular, given their location, a commercial flight for their team is an unnecessary burden.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 pm
vandy05 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:34 pm
It depends. The biggest reason why teams fly charter is schedule. I don't have to take players out of class to make a flight, I don't have to worry about flight delays, I don't have to worry about what time or day the team will get back. Some power conference basketball teams are still flying 50-seat regional jets (which can be uncomfortable even for us who are not 6'7"), but many are flying 70/75-seaters now or even mainline aircraft.

I know the VandyBoys have regularly flown Delta charters for some of their trips, which, yes, is a helluva lot of space on a 717, Airbus 319, or 737.

In Missouri's case in particular, given their location, a commercial flight for their team is an unnecessary burden.
Thank you for your reply.
Locked Previous topicNext topic