Thursday pitchers

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Thursday pitchers

Post by commadore »

So in the post game Corbs said that Futrell would NOT be pitching today. So will it Moore? Cunningham? I feel that is Pretty much giving in unless Owen is going to start. Comments?

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thursday pitchers

Post by charlestonalum »

commadore wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:35 am So in the post game Corbs said that Futrell would NOT be pitching today. So will it Moore? Cunningham? I feel that is Pretty much giving in unless Owen is going to start. Comments?
It is not "giving in," it is filling Florida with doubt, uncertainty and inhibiting their planning. It is actually called good coaching.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Last night’s win was huge. We beat a ranked team on a big streak - and this should cement a top-8 seed. It reinforces us as a top 4 in the SEC despite the late swoon - and every one close behind us has lost… Aub, Vols, SC…

With pitching banged up, and Futrell coming off 100+ pitches, I hope we start Cunningham. Horn has been hot lately - but I suspect he’s earned some rest too…? There is certainly no need to start Owen or Futrell today.

Tomorrow I hope Owen is healthy enough to throw 3 or 4 innings. Florida is very good. I see no reason to throw him immediately into a gator pit today - we need his arm sound and his confidence high in the regional.

We are now playing with house money. We won’t burn regional arms - but we may keep them fresh.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I'm thinking Cunningham on a short hook with Greyson and Graysen and Horn in the wings. Maybe if we can eek one out vs that Gator bunch, then Futrell or Owen with Maldo closing in the next, Ginther as the set-up man.

I would love to see Ginther get a start to be honest. We really are having to ration pitchers.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Ginther is the wild card here. He had a very strong start last outing. But he’s such a good setup man - I’d hate to mess that up. On the other hand, Ginther is a lefty and Florida’s challenges with lefties are well documented.

He’s certainly proven he is capable if called upon.

I might add, Boki’s performance last night was critical. He threw strikes and kept guys off the bases - exactly what the doctor ordered. If Owen and Holton can’t go in the regional, I think Boki passed his audition to start a game. Reilly, a little inexplicably, is a great mid innings guy - but starting messes him up. Still, sterling outing and a critically important piece of the puzzle.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

I'd also love to see Ginther here. Love the way he looks right now. Could be wrong, but that's who I'd go with.

I'd give my right arm to have a "Mason Hickman"-type available right now. Or a Richie Goodenow.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

Is there a reason at this point to use arms now, rather than waiting for the NCAA tournament to begin? What do we gain if we win any more games in the SECT? SV#
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

KudzuLeague wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:00 am Is there a reason at this point to use arms now, rather than waiting for the NCAA tournament to begin? What do we gain if we win any more games in the SECT? SV#
experience and learning to win in pressurized situations - that is what I hitters need - agree that the pitchers do not need to be stressed. If we could perfect clutch hitting and gain confidence it would do us a world of good for the NCAA.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:55 am I'd also love to see Ginther here. Love the way he looks right now. Could be wrong, but that's who I'd go with.

I'd give my right arm to have a "Mason Hickman"-type available right now. Or a Richie Goodenow.
Mason Hickman was perhaps my all-time favorite Vandy pitcher. Nothing spectacular, just rock-steady. His game-3 win over Michigan is my favorite pitching performance by a Vandy pitcher. First 3 Michigan hitters got hits, he's down 1-0 with runners on 1st & 3rd and hasn't thrown a good pitch yet. He proceeded to shut them down for the next 6 innings or so (I don't recall exactly how long), while the bats went to work and completly broke Michigan's spirit. Loved that guy!
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

I am thinking it may just be Hunter Owen. If he is healthy enough to go Corbs will want him to get early game so he will be rested for next week. h0414
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Other than $ and maybe a second chance (once in a while) for an underperforming team I don’t get the reason for the conference baseball tournaments—and in particular their double elimination aspect. The post season NCAA tournament is a sufficient challenge. After the gauntlet of a 30 game SEC season, and mid-week games to boot, what good comes from it.

I get it that double elimination is suited to baseball’s single game fickleness. But based on this pitching conversation—and I’m sure others on other team’s boards—is playing in five games at this point in the season a cost efficient thing to do if winning it all in Omaha with a healthy squad is the goal?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I would be surprised if we see Futrell in this tourney. If we lose to UF, he could pitch a few innings Friday, but if we win, we won’t play until Saturday and that’s kind of late while looking forward to the NCAAs. From here I don’t see any of our starters going long unless they are pitching a shutout….no sense in wearing out arms.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

dore74 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:33 am Other than $ and maybe a second chance (once in a while) for an underperforming team I don’t get the reason for the conference baseball tournaments—and in particular their double elimination aspect. The post season NCAA tournament is a sufficient challenge. After the gauntlet of a 30 game SEC season, and mid-week games to boot, what good comes from it.

I get it that double elimination is suited to baseball’s single game fickleness. But based on this pitching conversation—and I’m sure others on other team’s boards—is playing in five games at this point in the season a cost efficient thing to do if winning it all in Omaha with a healthy squad is the goal?
If it really is true that not only are all the SEC teams already locked into the tournament, but their PLACES are already locked in, then I guess this is just fodder to fill space on the SEC network -- and fodder that practically no students are attending.

At least it's after school is in session, I suppose.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The more I've thought about it, the more I'd like to see the SEC go to single elimination.

I'm not optimistic, however.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm The more I've thought about it, the more I'd like to see the SEC go to single elimination.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'd like to see Mr.Memorial go to Maui for a long weekend with Sofía Vergara.

cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

These double elimination tournaments after the first day are at end of season to get our teams READY for the NCAA.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

cjdore wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm These double elimination tournaments after the first day are at end of season to get our teams READY for the NCAA.
So true. No amount of regular season games can equip a player for postseason intensity.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

House money! Love it.

roanoke wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:57 am Last night’s win was huge. We beat a ranked team on a big streak - and this should cement a top-8 seed. It reinforces us as a top 4 in the SEC despite the late swoon - and every one close behind us has lost… Aub, Vols, SC…

With pitching banged up, and Futrell coming off 100+ pitches, I hope we start Cunningham. Horn has been hot lately - but I suspect he’s earned some rest too…? There is certainly no need to start Owen or Futrell today.

Tomorrow I hope Owen is healthy enough to throw 3 or 4 innings. Florida is very good. I see no reason to throw him immediately into a gator pit today - we need his arm sound and his confidence high in the regional.

We are now playing with house money. We won’t burn regional arms - but we may keep them fresh.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

The ONLY $ I'd bet on tonight's game is house money. I am afraid the Gators have our number this year.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

When the announcer said "and nobody up in the Vanderbilt bullpen" when the bases were loaded...bad omen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic