Pitching question

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Pitching question

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

With injuries to #1 and #2 starters, would we be better off quickly exiting the SEC tournament? And hope to get at least one back for the NCAA regional? Maybe rest the bullpen to get a serviceable bullpen game ready for the regional?

This would be a solid choice for Omaha if the rotation were intact.

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Pitching question

Post by Versus75 »

V-New Except that an early exit (0-2) in the tournament could end our hopes for a National Seed. Believe we need to get at least one win.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

This is a hard one.

I believe, having gone 19-11 in the toughest division in college baseball, and getting a bye/4th seed in the conference tournament, we are assured of a national seed. However, we did swoon over the last month, and some experts dropped us pretty mercilessly - without even acknowledging our good explanation: losing starting pitchers who are expected back.

I definitely don’t want to wear out our staff in Hoover. At the same time, getting run ruled twice might result in losing the top-8 seed.

My thought would be this: if Owen is healthy, throw him four innings with Reilly behind him. If we have to start a non-weekend starter in game two, I’d throw Bryce Cunningham with Horn behind him. Ginther did well as a starter, but he’s so valuable as a setup man - I wouldn’t want to over throw him.

I think it would be advisable for us to win a game. Not urgent, but advisable. We would be better off not playing five games with our staff banged up. But a national seed is nothing to trifle with. Finally, if Owen is ok, giving him a few innings will be useful. So would throwing Horn or Cunningham as a starter - to help them get their sea legs. I also think it would help Reilly to come in from the pen where he excels after a few rough starts. So, we should focus on staying/getting sharp and stay on strict pitch counts.

Futrell threw over a 100 pitches on Friday. I wouldn’t mind either giving him a week off, or keeping him to 50 pitches if there is a game 3. Another bright note, Hlibocki seems to be rounding into form at just the right time. I would not be surprised to see him start game 3 if we rest Futrell.

You can win a Super-Regional with 2 sharp starters. If Holton gets another few weeks off - hopefully he’ll be able to contribute too. I like our staff - but at this time of year, guys who are not throwing strikes are a liability. If we get back Owen, and he is sharp, I am optimistic.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

roanoke wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:40 am This is a hard one.

I believe, having gone 19-11 in the toughest division in college baseball, and getting a bye/4th seed in the conference tournament, we are assured of a national seed. However, we did swoon over the last month, and some experts dropped us pretty mercilessly - without even acknowledging our good explanation: losing starting pitchers who are expected back.

How certain are you of the "expected back" part?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We are in double elimination with #4 and that means at least 2 games. Always good to sharpen the comoetitive edge so hope to win while working on things to fine tune before NCAA is in order, but keeping pitch count down.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

geeznotagain wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Coach was quoted as saying Owen could pitch at Hoover and is close to coming back.

He also said Holton would not pitch at Hoover.

But he isn’t “shut down “ and it’s three weeks to a super-regional…. so I guess I’m saying “there’s a chance…”
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

If unproven arms are gonna have to pitch meaningful stressful games down the stretch for this team I think it would benefit said arms to pitch as much In Hoover as possible. I don’t think 0-2 helps with development of a guy like horn or whoever.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

roanoke wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:48 pm
geeznotagain wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Coach was quoted as saying Owen could pitch at Hoover and is close to coming back.

He also said Holton would not pitch at Hoover.

But he isn’t “shut down “ and it’s three weeks to a super-regional…. so I guess I’m saying “there’s a chance…”
You knew this was going to end up in the thread....

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Throw anybody we have and the young guns. Save the arms for a run to Omaha
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I personally think that if VU goes two and barbecue in Hoover, it won't affect our chances of being a national seed one bit. I don't think conference tournament performance hurts a team. It can help a bubble squad but otherwise won't hurt a team like Vandy with a strong resume.

That being said, the only thing that would bother me about Hoover would be two uncompetitive contests. We've shown a dangerous propensity to get way down early in games.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

It seems I recall USC or LSU taking the “rest normal starter pitchers” approach in the SEC tourney to prepare for the NCAAs
Locked Previous topicNext topic