Regional

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Bird75
Ensign

Regional

Post by Bird75 »

D1 projection has VU as the 8th and final national seed, to host all the way through. What has to happen the rest of year to stay at 8 or better.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Regional

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Bird75 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:43 pm D1 projection has VU as the 8th and final national seed, to host all the way through. What has to happen the rest of year to stay at 8 or better.
Take two of three from Arkansas.

There's an outside chance that winning one vs. the Hogs keeps us at a national seed, depending on what else happens around the country, but I know a sweep dooms us. And I don't put much emphasis on the SEC tournament as either a positive or negative.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

To win the series, coaches Corbin and Brown will have to pull a genie out of the pitching bottle. And the hitters will have to ... well, hit for a change dammit. If we lose the series we do NOT deserve a national seed. Injuries are a huge factor, but are part of the game.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

You know if we win 2-1 against Arkansas and keep the national seed… We will finish the conference on a terrible hitting slump and 6-9 SEC the last 5 weeks with a multiple mercy rule games.

In other words, we would be the exact type of national seed all of us would be screaming about if it was somebody else. Haha
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We will not be a national seed. We lost it in the 9th inning in Knoxville. We have not recovered from that sudden collapse...
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sat May 20, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:57 pm We will mot be a national seed. We lost it in the 9th inning in Knoxville. We have not recovered from that sudden collapse...
Yeah, it really seems that way doesn’t it… I never would’ve guessed that ninth-inning was a divergent point for both teams. Volunteers were 5-10 in conference and we gave them CPR. And somehow we didn’t recover.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

vu2003rpl wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:53 pm You know if we win 2-1 against Arkansas and keep the national seed… We will finish the conference on a terrible hitting slump and 6-9 SEC the last 5 weeks with a multiple mercy rule games.

In other words, we would be the exact type of national seed all of us would be screaming about if it was somebody else. Haha
But it’s predicated on the ENTIRE body of work. The committee doesn’t look at how you finish!

Sorry, I know that’s the basketball argument, but I’m still mildly bitter about the perceived snub of VU from March Madness this year. Honestly, securing a top 4 seed in the SECT should be enough to lock up a top 8 national seed. But then, finishing top 4 in both the regular season and conference tournament didn’t matter in basketball either. It would be just like the NCAA to snub VU in multiple sports using double standards for selection and seeding criteria.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:57 pm We will not be a national seed. We lost it in the 9th inning in Knoxville. We have not recovered from that sudden collapse...
May I revise my forecast? We will be national seed if we beat # 2 Arkansas again today. Go dores!
Locked Previous topicNext topic