Some Tyrin news

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Some Tyrin news

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Some Tyrin news

And some more:
Tyrin Lawrence and Olivier Nkamhoua particularly piqued college coaches’ interest this weekend because they’re also in the NCAA transfer portal. Lawrence played well in his first game as a slashing guard capable of knocking down perimeter shots, but struggled when given more on-ball opportunities on Sunday.

“I try to tell [college coaches] I’m going to try to focus on the draft first and then school second, so trying to keep them at bay while focusing on what I really want to do, which is the draft,” Lawrence says. “For me to stay in, I would need some type of guarantee [from an NBA team], I don’t just want to go out on hope. So hopefully I can get that, but if not, I wouldn’t mind going back to school.”

Lawrence listed Auburn (where he has visited), Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, Memphis and Texas as some of the schools in hottest pursuit, with a return to Vanderbilt also on the table.

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/05/15/g-lea ... -takeaways
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

The list of interested teams keeps getting longer…
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:19 pm And some more:
Tyrin Lawrence and Olivier Nkamhoua particularly piqued college coaches’ interest this weekend because they’re also in the NCAA transfer portal. Lawrence played well in his first game as a slashing guard capable of knocking down perimeter shots, but struggled when given more on-ball opportunities on Sunday.

“I try to tell [college coaches] I’m going to try to focus on the draft first and then school second, so trying to keep them at bay while focusing on what I really want to do, which is the draft,” Lawrence says. “For me to stay in, I would need some type of guarantee [from an NBA team], I don’t just want to go out on hope. So hopefully I can get that, but if not, I wouldn’t mind going back to school.”

Lawrence listed Auburn (where he has visited), Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, Memphis and Texas as some of the schools in hottest pursuit, with a return to Vanderbilt also on the table.

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/05/15/g-lea ... -takeaways
Quality of education does not appear to be a current top priority for Mr. Lawrence. Would absolutely stink if he ended up at any of the first three schools.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Obvious wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:06 pm The list of interested teams keeps getting longer…
The later it gets in transfer season, the longer the list will become.

I think there's a decent chance we won't know what his decision is until after the NBA deadline to withdraw from the draft (June 1).
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Honestly, this is hard to take. This school and staff has put a lot into Tyrin, and he treats us this way? Free education at a top 20 university for one. Lots of hours working with him to develop his skills. Got him a lot of air time and plenty of promotional work by the Vandy marketing department. And while our NIL department isn't as aggressive, I'm certain there is some sort of compensation for him on the table.

For him to treat us this way is just extremely disappointing and honestly just crass. If I were Stack, it would be awfully hard to stomach. I'm sure he'd love to find a transfer in the portal that was his equal or better so he could tell him to take a hike. Unfortunately, instead, he finds himself in a pickle and has no leverage.

And before you say "oh but if it was you, you would take a massive pay raise?" The answer is yes if I had no view of what the future may hold (which is what most people face in the working world). This is different in my opinion. He has limited time here. He has a view on the future. Here is an institution that has put a lot of time, money, and effort into making him better. They may be offering you less money for the next year or two, but they were there with you when you were nothing and helped to build you up to where you are today, and they are also committed to building you up further to launch you into an even bigger pay raise in the next 1 to 2 years. In a situation like that. I'd stay. Wouldn't be a question for me. I'd feel guilty leaving. Loyalty means something.

I worked for a company - I had some major medical stuff go on. I was out of commission for 9 months. They kept me on full salary the entire time. I returned to work. I had a couple of opportunities to leave for more money in the ensuing years. I didn't take them because I felt a sense of obligation. I eventually moved on, but there is something to be said for someone who stands by you when things ain't exactly going great. At least there used to be.

I'm sure there are many people out there who would say I was foolish not to take more money. I guess that's the world we live in. Very, very sad to me.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

They don't give a damm about education any more just take the money and run, college sports is going the way of pros with all of this NIL stuff and other going on. The NCAA has sold their soul to this and thats it. The players come and go so fast that it is no fun being a fan for a team anymore.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I'm with you MM. There is no loyalty nowadays. We can argue it's a generational thing all day long, which I believe it is.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

So you're saying if there was NIL + transfer portal 50 years ago, no one would have taken advantage of it? There were "$100 handshakes" in the 50s, decades before it was legal.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 pm So you're saying if there was NIL + transfer portal 50 years ago, no one would have taken advantage of it? There were "$100 handshakes" in the 50s, decades before it was legal.
There would not have been an NIL back then. Yes, $50 handshakes, but NIL would have been taboo.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Loyalty's great when it runs both ways. But when coaches can run off players as soon as they find someone they think is better, it's hard to blame the players for moving on when they find a better deal.

And I'm not sure you can say "free education." Legit SEC athletes have rare talent, they work their butts off, and they generate economic value for the league and the schools well beyond the cost of their education.

Look, I don't like it either. But college sports has been a ruthless big business as long as we've all been watching. We're not upset that it's become a ruthless big business. We liked it when it was a ruthless big business and the players were indentured. Now we're upset because the players have the power to be as ruthless as everyone else in the business. It's not as if this is some new era of wickedness. We were fine with the wickedness when we had more control over the players.

Also, we're very quick to deplore Lawrence leaving. But I don't seem to remember anyone throwing up their arms when Chatman, Robbins, or Manjon transferred in. Or anyone saying we don't want that big man from Michigan to come to Vanderbilt because it's such a travesty. By your standards, the transfers in are just as morally degenerate as Lawrence is for transferring out.
Last edited by alathIN on Wed May 17, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:37 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:54 pm So you're saying if there was NIL + transfer portal 50 years ago, no one would have taken advantage of it? There were "$100 handshakes" in the 50s, decades before it was legal.
There would not have been an NIL back then. Yes, $50 handshakes, but NIL would have been taboo.
$50 handshakes? $100?
I went to VU in the 80's and what I was hearing from other schools was more like cars and brown paper bags full of cash.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

alathIN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:56 am Loyalty's great when it runs both ways. But when coaches can run off players as soon as they find someone they think is better, it's hard to blame the players for moving on when they find a better deal.

And I'm not sure you can say "free education." Legit SEC athletes have rare talent, they work their butts off, and they generate economic value for the league and the schools well beyond the cost of their education.

Look, I don't like it either. But college sports has been a ruthless big business as long as we've all been watching. We're not upset that it's become a ruthless big business. We liked it when it was a ruthless big business and the players were indentured. Now we're upset because the players have the power to be as ruthless as everyone else in the business. It's not as if this is some new era of wickedness. We were fine with the wickedness when we had more control over the players.

Also, we're very quick to deplore Lawrence leaving. But I don't seem to remember anyone throwing up their arms when Chatman, Robbins, or Manjon transferred in. Or anyone saying we don't want that big man from Michigan to come to Vanderbilt because it's such a travesty. By your standards, the transfers in are just as morally degenerate as Lawrence is for transferring out.
We want the loyalty, but the school didn't pay any of the player's for their video game income, jersey sales, and a whole host of other things for decades! The schools were warned over and over for so long, and conferences just kept padding pockets while not including the players. Yes they got an education, and I like most thought for so long that was plenty, but it wasn't close to equal sharing. I'd love to play NCAA sports video games with the players names and abilities again, but now we understand the difference of they never shared those dollars with the actual players. Hiding behind amateurism while the conferences, schools, and NCAA shared billions was a terrible joke!
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

alathIN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:56 am Loyalty's great when it runs both ways. But when coaches can run off players as soon as they find someone they think is better, it's hard to blame the players for moving on when they find a better deal.

1) i am sure that there are that there are coaches that "run" players off. The ones i follow usually have the " talk" at season's end, which a coach would be upfront about the players' future playing time (Trey Thomas) That's my impression of CJS. And technically, the scholarships are renewable on a annual basis
2) Players transfer for many reasons, playing time, move closer to home, step up in competition, a fresh start, coaching change, previous relationship with coaching staff, etc. I believe Robbins came here because one of CJS asst coaches was his relative. Chatman was a fifth year grad student, step up in competition and chance to compete for PT. Manjon, probably a step up in completion, position open to replace Pippen, play for NBA coach
3) I don't see any of that with Tyrin. Maybe it is NIL. And that is tough for me to handle since if he comes back to any school, he is probably a year from definitely trying the pros. And if that is case, maybe there should be opportunity for him to take out some insurance policy for one year, if that is still done
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

ymtn64 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:56 am

We want the loyalty, but the school didn't pay any of the player's for their video game income, jersey sales, and a whole host of other things for decades! The schools were warned over and over for so long, and conferences just kept padding pockets while not including the players. Yes they got an education, and I like most thought for so long that was plenty, but it wasn't close to equal sharing. I'd love to play NCAA sports video games with the players names and abilities again, but now we understand the difference of they never shared those dollars with the actual players. Hiding behind amateurism while the conferences, schools, and NCAA shared billions was a terrible joke!
Both of these posts nail it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Oh, did the schools make money off the video games?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Look I want Tyrin back - absolutely no reservations about that. Even beyond that though, this NIL crap is the crap future we face and VU has to find a way to deal with that. It is hard for me to fathom that Vandy , even fully accepting the academic priority of most wealthy supporters, cannot find a way to reasonably compete in the NIL world . Tyrin might be a good place to start both for our athletic reputation and the reputation of the university as a whole ( I don't believe that participation in NIL will destroy our academic prestige).
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

alathIN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:03 am
commadore wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:37 pm
$50 handshakes? $100?
I went to VU in the 80's and what I was hearing from other schools was more like cars and brown paper bags full of cash.
The point i was trying to make is pay-for-play is nothing new. The NCAA has made billions off players for decades, & it was illegal to give a student-athlete a ride across campus (i think) in this century.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Who's Tyrin?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

commadore wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:09 pm

Oh, did the schools make money off the video games?
They didn't get the direct checks. The money went to the NCAA who distributes money to schools. Players, as part of their national letter of intent, agreed to sign away their marketing rights to the NCAA (at least how it used to work). They were all in on it to have the player sign away their NIL rights and then make money off of them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic