The color guy last night

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: The color guy last night

Post by Ndorefin »

Paul Eels did a great job in the late 60s and was a truly fine gentleman!

jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I absolutely agree. There just was nobody like Munson, and nobody I ve ever heard since who compares.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

just google "Run Lindsay"
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

I really liked Max. Didn't have the experience Joe had but was really knowledgeable and easy to listen to. Andrew - not so much.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

Holy Smokes, what a ball game! We’ve had good broadcasters in my 50-plus years of fandom, better in fact than most announcers for other (and often more prominent) athletic programs which I’ve been obliged to tune in on occasion, but Paul Eels was the one you felt like you knew and loved, at least speaking for myself. Partly because his warm personality and smile were so endearing, partly because he knew his stuff and appeared to have a genuine and deep love for Vandy, and partly because you saw and heard him every night on WSM-TV. You really DID know him, if only vicariously. It still pains me to remember his departure for Arkansas and especially his tragic and premature death.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

VirginiaDore wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:26 pm Holy Smokes, what a ball game! We’ve had good broadcasters in my 50-plus years of fandom, better in fact than most announcers for other (and often more prominent) athletic programs which I’ve been obliged to tune in on occasion, but Paul Eels was the one you felt like you knew and loved, at least speaking for myself. Partly because his warm personality and smile were so endearing, partly because he knew his stuff and appeared to have a genuine and deep love for Vandy, and partly because you saw and heard him every night on WSM-TV. You really DID know him, if only vicariously. It still pains me to remember his departure for Arkansas and especially his tragic and premature death.
agree that paul eels was really great....but munson was incomparable and some other folks agree:

https://www.al.com/bn/2008/02/greatest_ ... uthea.html. (keith jackson and lindsey nelson deserve to be higher)

and here's some munson/vu history for anyone interested (i can't find any recordings of his vu broadcasts):

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 104853183/

munson was a homer's homer, very much like john ward was for the vols.
VirginiaDore
Ensign

Post by VirginiaDore »

Read the above linked articles with interest; thanks for posting. Larry Munson’s time at Vanderbilt predated mine, so I’m in no position to compare him to Paul Eels. However, rankings that would place John Ward ahead of Eels are suspect (at best) in my view. I had the same debate with my UT-loving cousin about 1973. For reasons I can no longer remember (and now can’t even imagine), I used to listen to Ward’s broadcast of Tennessee basketball occasionally. By the time a game ended, I had heard “Bottom!”, “Write it down!”, and “You walked, 23” (or 32, or whatever; fill in your own number) so many times I was ready to throw up. Next game it was like somebody wound him up and he started all over again.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VirginiaDore wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:29 pm Read the above linked articles with interest; thanks for posting. Larry Munson’s time at Vanderbilt predated mine, so I’m in no position to compare him to Paul Eels. However, rankings that would place John Ward ahead of Eels are suspect (at best) in my view. I had the same debate with my UT-loving cousin about 1973. For reasons I can no longer remember (and now can’t even imagine), I used to listen to Ward’s broadcast of Tennessee basketball occasionally. By the time a game ended, I had heard “Bottom!”, “Write it down!”, and “You walked, 23” (or 32, or whatever; fill in your own number) so many times I was ready to throw up. Next game it was like somebody wound him up and he started all over again.
A couple of other annoying Ward-isms (to non-Vol fans like me):

1. In basketball he would yell "GIVE IT TO HIM" -- sometimes with added descriptors. Back in my day (late 60's) he'd holler "Give it to the 6'10" Canadian" (referring to Bobby Croft).
2. And in football, Vol touchdown runs would be greatly enhanced and drawn out over the last 5 yards or so. Each yard would have its own descriptive verb. Like "He hurdles to the 5, twists and turns to the 4, lunges to the 3, side-steps to the 2, etc". The final 5 yards took 20 seconds to complete.
Locked Previous topicNext topic