FLA #3

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

FLA #3

Post by Levon »

Easy 1-2-3 top of 1st. And then Carter walks the leadoff man in bottom 1st...not a good start.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: FLA #3

Post by Levon »

Followed by a 2-run bomb. I'm no defeatist by any means...but I suspect this game is already over. This season is on the brink.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Is the talent disparity that great? Are we that much worse offensively than Florida?
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Assuming this plays out, Vanderbilt is 4-8 in the SEC, and 1-8 on the road in the SEC, since starting 13-2.

I would say that I've never seen anything like this in a long time, but then again, it's been only a few months since the Titans pulled off the biggest collapse in NFL history.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

A single, 2 walks and a terrific defensive play by Diaz at 3rd later, and Corbs yanks Carter with the bases loaded and 1 out for Cunningham. I'm of a mind to bring in Maldo the Elder here to keep the game from getting completely out of reach.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

historybill wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:21 pm Assuming this plays out, Vanderbilt is 4-8 in the SEC, and 1-8 on the road in the SEC, since starting 13-2.

I would say that I've never seen anything like this in a long time, but then again, it's been only a few months since the Titans pulled off the biggest collapse in NFL history.
The Titans were living on borrowed time. They had a bunch of undeserved wins the last 1.5 seasons.

Now, back to college baseball. I'd rate our chance of making it to Omaha at 1%. Making a super-regional at 23%
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Another terrific play by Diaz gets a 2nd out, run scores. Without Diaz this inning, 4 or 5 runs would have scored and there would still be no outs. Swinging K on a pitch out of the strike zone ends the inning with only 3 runs scored. Could've been soooooo much worse. Vandy's team body language right now is one of defeat. Pretty gloomy...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Gee guys, we have 2 starting pitchers out and a couple injured and we got a home stand with a chance to make some real hay. We are not done, but we have to play a hell of a lot bettervand we can. As for this game too early to call it.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:33 pm Gee guys, we have 2 starting pitchers out and a couple injured and we got a home stand with a chance to make some real hay. We are not done, but we have to play a hellnof a lot bettervand we can. As for this game too early to call it.
No doubt, and I think the season is certainly salvageable, but this team is in a bad funk right now. Maldo the Younger just whiffed on a fastball square in the middle of the strike zone, a hitter's dream pitch; Polk did the same. Austin K'ed on a pitch far high and outside. Just in a funk.

The good news is that postseason baseball is about momentum and riding hot pitchers. Anything can happen once the playoffs start. Plus, there is no dominant team this year, it's wide open for Omaha. I'm on board for however things may turn out
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Strong 2nd for Cunny, maybe the spark for better offensive production going forward. Let's hope.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:33 pm Gee guys, we have 2 starting pitchers out and a couple injured and we got a home stand with a chance to make some real hay. We are not done, but we have to play a hell of a lot bettervand we can. As for this game too early to call it.
If my post results in a meal of raw crow, then I will gladly consume it.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Levon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:44 pm Strong 2nd for Cunny, maybe the spark for better offensive production going forward. Let's hope.
Nope...not yet, anyway. To bottom 3rd.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Our leadoff hitters are not selective or strategic.

It’s a real problem. And tactics lie at the feet of a batting coach.

We have been absolutely horrible at getting leadoff guys on base this weekend.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Poor Maldo the Younger just looks lost at the plate lately. Kinda reminds me of Noland for so much of last year. He's a good hitter, but, to repeat from earlier, just in a funk. Add to that, 2 soft oppo-way line drives this inning, from Schreck & Noland, with all kinds of base hit potential...both right at the 3B for easy outs. Sometimes a funk covers everything. Sigh...
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Does Corbs have his “unacceptable” speech recorded, or does he have to come up with new material each time?
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Levon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm Poor Maldo the Younger just looks lost at the plate lately. Kinda reminds me of Noland for so much of last year. He's a good hitter, but, to repeat from earlier, just in a funk. Add to that, 2 soft oppo-way line drives this inning, from Schreck & Noland, with all kinds of base hit potential...both right at the 3B for easy outs. Sometimes a funk covers everything. Sigh...
Meanwhile, seemingly everything Florida hits finds a hole. Just uncanny.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

t0174
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Sure looked like Castine tagged the lead foot...probably won't be overturned.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Levon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm Sure looked like Vastine tagged the lead foot...probably won't be overturned.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

We can't hit the ball if it was served up on a T
Locked Previous topicNext topic