Hunter Dickinson and NIL

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Hunter Dickinson and NIL

Post by vandy05 »

I just read on ESPN that he hinted that NIL was a factor in his decision to leave Michigan. Sounds like he was getting less than six figures annually from NIL. If hw is able to secure $200K a year playing at Kansas, I would basically say he would be making a mistake not to leave. That's really good money. To me it also demonstrates a bit of what is going on out there and what we're dealing with. If that was the decision facing my kid, I would advise him to leave. He also had an analogy, with which I agree, about people leaving jobs for a better salary. The landscape is what it is.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... fer-kansas

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: Hunter Dickinson and NIL

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Eh. I guess. I earned both my bachelor’s and master’s degrees at VU. Did pretty well re: accrued debt, relatively speaking. I’ve been a public school teacher my entire career (midpoint right now). I could make more money doing many other things, even within the education sector. I’m where I am because it’s where I want to be and the work is important. There’s more to life than chasing money. Just my opinion.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

But I thought the recruiting process could not include an offer of NIL money. Perhaps Self was allowed to say:

“So and So made this much. What’s His Name made that much. I can’t PROMISE you anything.”

And now, do the people paying him “less than six figures” cut him off? I hope so.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Versus75 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:04 pm But I thought the recruiting process could not include an offer of NIL money. Perhaps Self was allowed to say:

“So and So made this much. What’s His Name made that much. I can’t PROMISE you anything.”

And now, do the people paying him “less than six figures” cut him off? I hope so.
I'm sure he (or someone else) could say that.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 am Eh. I guess. I earned both my bachelor’s and master’s degrees at VU. Did pretty well re: accrued debt, relatively speaking. I’ve been a public school teacher my entire career (midpoint right now). I could make more money doing many other things, even within the education sector. I’m where I am because it’s where I want to be and the work is important. There’s more to life than chasing money. Just my opinion.
I would offer that the analogy is slightly different. Dickinson is a top-end college player with a chance to be an NBA player. He is in college to prepare for his profession. He can make an income while pursuing his desired profession (NBA basketball player). On top of that, he can do it someone where where he makes a higher income and gets at least the same level of preparation. If you can get the same level of preparation in a new experience in a new place, I see that as a positive for a college student.

I agree that there is more to life than chasing money. But chasing money is a part of life too. All he is doing is letting down a bunch of middle aged alums and fans of the school while helping himself and his family ;)
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

vandy05 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:35 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 am Eh. I guess. I earned both my bachelor’s and master’s degrees at VU. Did pretty well re: accrued debt, relatively speaking. I’ve been a public school teacher my entire career (midpoint right now). I could make more money doing many other things, even within the education sector. I’m where I am because it’s where I want to be and the work is important. There’s more to life than chasing money. Just my opinion.
I would offer that the analogy is slightly different. Dickinson is a top-end college player with a chance to be an NBA player. He is in college to prepare for his profession. He can make an income while pursuing his desired profession (NBA basketball player). On top of that, he can do it someone where where he makes a higher income and gets at least the same level of preparation. If you can get the same level of preparation in a new experience in a new place, I see that as a positive for a college student.

I agree that there is more to life than chasing money. But chasing money is a part of life too. All he is doing is letting down a bunch of middle aged alums and fans of the school while helping himself and his family ;)
Grad students in some fields - engineering is one - can earn money while working on their degrees.
If an engineering student in analogous situation made the same decision, it would be noncontroversially a smart move.
Locked Previous topicNext topic