Tyrin Lawrence

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

Post by mathguy »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:06 pm For clarification, I hope Stack is here a decade from now. I hope he has made 7,8 NCAAT appearances, and a couple Sweet 16s. Depending on how close we are to the tourney next spring MIGHT buy him another year. But if he has 0 invites thru 6 (possibly 5), i would be ready to move on. And i can't keep from wondering why his name has been attached to so many NBA vacancies. Maybe he has no interest, but maybe-
I a word, it's all about context. Stackhouse has been our coach for 4 years. Every year there has been a certain amount of doom and gloom and low expectations. And while we have yet to make the NCAA tourney, every year of Stack's tenure we have been better than we were the year before.

It is frustrating the big breakthrough hasn't happened yet, but ... there are some good things going on here. Unless this coming season is an unmitigated disaster, I don't see a way we get rid of Stack before year 6. I suppose it's possibly two more empty years could make me change my tune but ... well, I prefer to think Stack is too good for that to happen.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I agree that Conroy was the big draw for him. I think he wanted one more year to try to be The Man for a team. He is such a fine young man and student, and the degrees will be there for him. I think he intended to stay at Vanderbilt, but something swayed him, clearly, and I bet it was the chance to not be in the shadow of someone like Liam.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Jason94 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:22 am
I don't know if anybody on this board read Moneyball or saw the movie. But at this stage of the portal and NIL, I find it quite difficult to believe that every coach understands where value exists, and that it simply is a given that the teams with the most NIL will win the tournament every season. UK flamed out in the 2nd round and there probably aren't 5 programs with more NIL set aside for basketball.
I may be slightly hijacking here, but I think this is a very important point. I suggested something similar about our recruiting a few months ago.

In my post, I mentioned that Vandy has traditionally be a home for great shooters, but I feel like it's been a while, maybe since MFD and LaChance, that we've really had an elite shooter on the team. I guess you could say Nesmith, but he wasn't an elite shooter as a frosh and his sophomore campaign was cut way short. For sure we have recently bemoaned the fact that we haven't been a killer shooting team for several years. I wondered if this was a Moneyball thing - in the '80s/'90s the most prized recruits were elite athletes, and the best shooters, stereotypically, were knocked down several pegs for their athletic limitations and we swooped them up. Nowadays, in the post Steph Curry era, there is no debating the elite value of shooters, and so maybe we can just no longer get the same kind of player we used to.

Like you, I opined, what is the new inefficiency? What is the overlooked skill that elite programs are under-recruiting?

I hadn't yet thought of that in terms of the portal. Do more teams look for frosh transfers that they can keep and mold for 3 years, allowing a 1 year transfer to be easier to recruit? Is there a bias towards players whose teams won in a small conference versus guys who put up big stats against that weaker competition? Whenever one thing becomes prized, something else gets pushed to the side to make room for it.

I'm a long time A's fan ... let me tell you, they have reinvented Moneyball several times. The original revolution was to prize OBP ... then it became a draft strategy of specifically avoiding HS players (especially hitters) as they were to hard to project ... then for a time they built a team based on exceptional team defense ... then they had a team that made the playoffs with almost no everyday players - they platooned at something like 7 positions.

So yeah ... there does have to be something for us to capitalize on.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:55 pm
commadore wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:39 am

They could make 20% on that endowment and not a penny would or could go into the NIL. That money has to come from outsiders who want name, image, likeness from the players.
Think you are right about the school directly funding NIL (though I think personally that is idiotic given the mere existence of NIL). VU may have to start thinking less like VU and more like Big State U. It would be so easy to go to the big money donors and suggest that instead of giving Xhundred thousand toward the endowment this year , they give a portion of that amount to the endowment and remainder to the collective. Using Jason's analogy of coming up with $1 million, I would argue that is money well spent /invested as a successful program would generate that much in increased revenues from ticket sales, concessions and paraphenalia royalties.
[/quote]

Agree with the theory, but think the world will end before VU would agree to that.
Versus75
Admiral

Back to the Tyrin Lawrence saga

Post by Versus75 »

I don’t see him making the NBA unless he can seriously upgrade his 3-point shot.

And I don’t think he will be at Auburn or wherever for three years. Tyrin played only 7 games of 25 in his freshman season (less than 30%) and suffered a season-ending injury in practice.

Did we ever hear that Vanderbilt applied for a Medical Hardship Redshirt season? Can his new team apply retroactively?

A lot of question marks already and then what happens if he doesn’t start for the new school?

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/20 ... dshirt.htm
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

“SG Tyrin Lawrence, Vanderbilt

Tyrin Lawrence went all in on the NBA Draft process, and the word from Las Vegas – where he trained and worked out – was that he opened some eyes. Lawrence took a major step last season, averaging 13.1 points while shooting 50.2 percent from the field. He has been invited to participate in the G-League Combine. Lawrence is a scoring guard with some smoothness to his game, length, and pop. Auburn, Memphis, Georgia, and a return to Vanderbilt are all talked about here.

The 6-foot-4 Lawrence is the No. 56 player in the 2023 On3 Transfer Portal Ranking.”
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

June 1 is the deadline to withdraw from the draft, FYI.
Locked Previous topicNext topic