The color guy last night

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

The color guy last night

Post by Dorewithaflare »

This guy last night was the worst of the year for me. I finally just turned the sound off.

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: The color guy last night

Post by oakparkDore »

I’ve seen various folks complaining about Devon Travis and the ACC Network crew, and they’re not wrong. So much ACC propaganda, among other things.

But I listened to our radio broadcast for the early innings and I’ll take the ACC Network over Allegretta. Bring back Joe!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I said the guy sounded like a stoned surfer dude.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

commadore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:18 am I said the guy sounded like a stoned surfer dude.
And I added...
Yep, one who knows all the cliches but is incapable of an actual original thought. I finally muted the sound, just can't listen to him anymore. "I LOVE IT!"

And I agree, Allegretta (sp?) isn't easy to listen to either.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Allegretta takes some time, but because I always listen to the radio and watch muted TV, I have grown fond of Andrew. But it did take a year! He is very knowledgeable and does far more homework than Joe ever did. But Joe was easier to listen to, for sure.
VUadmiral
Commander

Post by VUadmiral »

Joe is one of the best baseball announcers anywhere. He knows the game inside and out and his style was conducive to calling the games.

The Admiral
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The color guy last night...shouldn't be a color guy.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 am The color guy last night...shouldn't be a color guy.
I LOVE IT!
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

This is what you’re going to get when on the road, especially out of conference. The color guy is, typically, going to be some homer….I’ve come to expect it. It’s similarly that way in our SEC road goes, but not as bad.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I've got to agree with the sentiment here.

That guy last night was awful.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:06 pm This is what you’re going to get when on the road, especially out of conference. The color guy is, typically, going to be some homer….I’ve come to expect it. It’s similarly that way in our SEC road goes, but not as bad.
He was an ACC homer, no doubt. But he could've been the biggest Vandy homer ever and I still would've muted him.
Versus75
Admiral

I'm cutting the TV guys some slack ...

Post by Versus75 »

... as they were both working from home yet did their "homework" by talking to the coaches in advance and studying the teams. This must have been an ACC TV crew as the "color guy," Devon Travis, played at Florida State. Still, they both knew a lot about the 'Dores and Tim Corbin. I thought they showed Vanderbilt a lot of love.

Aside re a comment in the Louisville game thread that stated the play-by-play guy said "Weasley steals second" when it was actually Hewett: He was obviously trying to say "will easily steal second." He may have gotten tongue-tied or it may have been an audio glitch in the transmission from his den back home somewhere.

Back to Devon Travis. He had a couple good years as a second baseman for Toronto (.300 / .304 / AL Rookie of the Month in April 2015) before injuries set him back and forced him to retire.

"Travis played a final season in 2018 but could not regain his earlier productivity. Injuries not only affected his performance, but they prematurely forced him from the game. After his playing career ended, Travis returned to Florida State to complete his undergraduate career in business and marketing."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Devon_Travis

Travis stayed in the game, coached with a couple minor league teams, and is now working TV. Gotta give him credit.

But here is the kicker in my opinion: Devon Travis played on the Florida State team that knocked out Vanderbilt in the 2010 Tallahassee Super Regional. I only watched the first couple innings Tuesday then some highlight plays and the 12th inning, but I don't think he mentioned that bit of trvia.

Thanks, Devon!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Part of the problem is that I think baseball is the hardest sport (of the big three) to call from a remote location, and it's even worse for college baseball since most venues don't have more than a couple of cameras. There were times when Roy Philpott (the play by play guy) would get super excited about a ball that ended up being obviously foul, and there's no way that happens if he's at the park. Conversely, I thought his call of the Vastine catch in shallow center was way understated.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

As per usual for any ESPN broadcast, there were long periods during which the announcers ignored the game. When Espinal came in to pinch hit, nobody mentioned his name until, I believe, the count was 2-2. No graphic showed who was at bat.

Joe was among the best play-by-play guys I've ever heard. He was great in all 3 sports. The baseball games where Joe had Kevin Stallings on as his color guy were particularly memorable.
accent grave over the e
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Sadly, Joe's not coming back.

Demons not defeated.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: I'm cutting the TV guys some slack ...

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:44 am ... as they were both working from home yet did their "homework" by talking to the coaches in advance and studying the teams. This must have been an ACC TV crew as the "color guy," Devon Travis, played at Florida State. Still, they both knew a lot about the 'Dores and Tim Corbin. I thought they showed Vanderbilt a lot of love.

Aside re a comment in the Louisville game thread that stated the play-by-play guy said "Weasley steals second" when it was actually Hewett: He was obviously trying to say "will easily steal second." He may have gotten tongue-tied or it may have been an audio glitch in the transmission from his den back home somewhere.

Back to Devon Travis. He had a couple good years as a second baseman for Toronto (.300 / .304 / AL Rookie of the Month in April 2015) before injuries set him back and forced him to retire.

"Travis played a final season in 2018 but could not regain his earlier productivity. Injuries not only affected his performance, but they prematurely forced him from the game. After his playing career ended, Travis returned to Florida State to complete his undergraduate career in business and marketing."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Devon_Travis

Travis stayed in the game, coached with a couple minor league teams, and is now working TV. Gotta give him credit.

But here is the kicker in my opinion: Devon Travis played on the Florida State team that knocked out Vanderbilt in the 2010 Tallahassee Super Regional. I only watched the first couple innings Tuesday then some highlight plays and the 12th inning, but I don't think he mentioned that bit of trvia.

Thanks, Devon!
I made the "Weasley steals second" comment. Your observation makes a lot of sense, it never occurred to me in the moment. Thanks.

The color guy seemed like an okay guy, and I thought that while he was a bit of an ACC-homer, he was nonetheless fair to Vandy and Corbs. Most annoying was his habit of getting overly excited about everything...he must've enthusiastically exclaimed "I LOVE IT" 30-40 times in the 4-5 innings I didn't mute the broadcast, without saying anything of substance or analytically useful. Baseball is a long game on a steady pace. Understated announcing always trumps overstated. Reserve getting excited when something genuinely exciting happens.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 am Allegretta takes some time, but because I always listen to the radio and watch muted TV, I have grown fond of Andrew. But it did take a year! He is very knowledgeable and does far more homework than Joe ever did. But Joe was easier to listen to, for sure.
Joe and Charlie Mac were the two best radio guys VU has had. Charlie Mac's superpower was vivid description - he'd pick up on little details that helped paint the picture in your head. Joe was a dyed in the wool Vandy homer and his excitement was genuine - and, the more excited he got the more eloquent he got. He could describe great moments in VU sports in memorable original language. A Joe Fisher highlight reel is as good as sports announcing gets.

We've had a couple I really didn't care for. One had an unfortunate tendency to belabor pre-prepared dissertations while missing what was actually happening. His color guy, who was actually quite a good play-by-play announcer, often had to get him back on track. "Yes, shoe sizes are very interesting. And meanwhile, Vanderbilt just scored a touchdown."
Another guy had a really good sounding voice, but was utterly unable to combine his wonderful sounding words into a coherent sentence.

Andrew is the first one we've had who is neither great nor terrible. He has a couple of odd tics, such as extremely frequent use of "a couple of." But he does a decent job and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

alathIN wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am
charlestonalum wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 am Allegretta takes some time, but because I always listen to the radio and watch muted TV, I have grown fond of Andrew. But it did take a year! He is very knowledgeable and does far more homework than Joe ever did. But Joe was easier to listen to, for sure.
Joe and Charlie Mac were the two best radio guys VU has had. Charlie Mac's superpower was vivid description - he'd pick up on little details that helped paint the picture in your head. Joe was a dyed in the wool Vandy homer and his excitement was genuine - and, the more excited he got the more eloquent he got. He could describe great moments in VU sports in memorable original language. A Joe Fisher highlight reel is as good as sports announcing gets.

We've had a couple I really didn't care for. One had an unfortunate tendency to belabor pre-prepared dissertations while missing what was actually happening. His color guy, who was actually quite a good play-by-play announcer, often had to get him back on track. "Yes, shoe sizes are very interesting. And meanwhile, Vanderbilt just scored a touchdown."
Another guy had a really good sounding voice, but was utterly unable to combine his wonderful sounding words into a coherent sentence.

Andrew is the first one we've had who is neither great nor terrible. He has a couple of odd tics, such as extremely frequent use of "a couple of." But he does a decent job and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game.
How about Larry Munson: he was our radio guy when I was an undergrad and really was a colorful announcer and informed. Went on to make his mark at Georgia, but was a Vanderbilt great for a good while.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Andrew's biggest problem is he had to follow Joe. I think he does a good job. He's light years better than George (Book It) Plaster, who was the worst in my listening lifetime.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:51 am
alathIN wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:09 am

How about Larry Munson: he was our radio guy when I was an undergrad and really was a colorful announcer and informed. Went on to make his mark at Georgia, but was a Vanderbilt great for a good while.
not intending to diminish the excellent broadcasting that jf and cma provided, but those of us who got to enjoy munson doing vandy mbb and fb experienced the best (imho, of course).
Locked Previous topicNext topic