Louisville

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Louisville

Post by Levon »

oakparkDore wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:03 am
Levon wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:41 pm
commadore wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:30 pm

I am wondering if there is something wrong with Maldo the Younger. Slight injury or something. Wasn't he 0-12 this past weekend? Maybe he just needs a day or two off.
After 6 innings I simply thought our guys were mailing in another game. Then they woke up.
Worried a little about Maldo the Elder too. He has been hit pretty hard lately...Tennessee, tonight, and one other game I can't remember off hand.

Let's go win a series vs florida.
True, Maldo the Elder has been touched a couple times of late, but the the 2 hits tonight were both hit off good pitches, as was the 9th inning game tying HR at Tenn. Sometimes good hitters hit good pitches. I'm not worried about him.
His slider is absolutely unbelievable. But any pitch is at least somewhat hittable if you know it is coming. He’s going to need to throw the fastball and cutter a bit more so they can’t just sit slider.
Great points.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Levon wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 pm Corbs pushed all the right buttons in the 12th, though I didn't understand pinch hitting Espinosa with 1 out. He's a high-risk, high-reward hitter who strikes out a lot. Why not a lefty against the right-handed pitcher, or Maldo the Younger, a much better contact hitter. That move mystified me a bit. Good news, though, it all worked out! Great win.
I'm not 100% sure of this -- I was multi-tasking, had the sound muted and was reading-- but I think TJ Mac pinch ran for Bulger earlier in the game (11th), so Espy was our catcher at the moment.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 am
Levon wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:05 pm Corbs pushed all the right buttons in the 12th, though I didn't understand pinch hitting Espinosa with 1 out. He's a high-risk, high-reward hitter who strikes out a lot. Why not a lefty against the right-handed pitcher, or Maldo the Younger, a much better contact hitter. That move mystified me a bit. Good news, though, it all worked out! Great win.
I'm not 100% sure of this -- I was multi-tasking, had the sound muted and was reading-- but I think TJ Mac pinch ran for Bulger earlier in the game (11th), so Espy was our catcher at the moment.
Geez, you are correct. I also had the sound muted and was multi-tasking, so I missed that TJ had indeed pinch run for Bulger in the 11th. I just went back and checked the play-by-play and that confirmed it. Thanks for the noggins-up, makes much more sense now knowing that Espy was already in the game, not pinch hitting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic