Reportedly visiting: Arkansas transfer Derrian Ford

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Reportedly visiting: Arkansas transfer Derrian Ford

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Dean's list student from southern Arkansas. 6-3 205 lb. guard. Only played in 21 games for 80 minutes this season and scored only 15 points.

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: Reportedly visiting: Arkansas transfer Derrian Ford

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Would likely be a solid addition in light of Lawrence’s departure. Physical player. Oh, and he’s a lefty!
May have played limited minutes, but many high level programs are pursuing him in the portal.

https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/hog ... rn-alabama
EmoryCommodore
Petty Officer

Post by EmoryCommodore »

When did we vote Arkansas our most hated team?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

EmoryCommodore wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 pm When did we vote Arkansas our most hated team?
I know, right? People will write anything.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

His other offers coming out of high school:

Alabama
Auburn
Baylor
Florida
Houston
Kansas
Kansas State
LSU
Miss. St.
Okie St.
Ole Miss
TCU
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:26 pm Dean's list student from southern Arkansas. 6-3 205 lb. guard. Only played in 21 games for 80 minutes this season and scored only 15 points.
Sounds like he can replace Shelby no problem...
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

If you don't get to play you don't score.
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

EmoryCommodore wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 pm When did we vote Arkansas our most hated team?
I'm guessing this refers to an awful twitter feed called "Big Game Boomer" that specializes in creating highly inaccurate lists of things like biggest rivalries/best stadiums/worst stadiums in college sports. A few months ago it listed Arkansas as Vandy fans' most hated schools. When challenged on this Boomer's response was "baseball". As far as I know, there was no vote involved.
accent grave over the e
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

egbertsouse wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:24 am
I'm guessing this refers to an awful twitter feed called "Big Game Boomer" that specializes in creating highly inaccurate lists of things like biggest rivalries/best stadiums/worst stadiums in college sports. A few months ago it listed Arkansas as Vandy fans' most hated schools. When challenged on this Boomer's response was "baseball". As far as I know, there was no vote involved.
This vote was probably sham, but we did have a very spirited basketball game against Arkansas this past season.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:26 pm Dean's list student from southern Arkansas. 6-3 205 lb. guard. Only played in 21 games for 80 minutes this season and scored only 15 points.
He didn't play enough for me to get a good feel from his numbers, but he was highly rated out of HS and had a long list of good programs going after him. Not sure why he didn't play so much at Arkansas especially with Smith being injured for a lot of the season, and I would assume that he isn't a point guard and is a wing guard.

I would think he has a little bit of an advantage over some of the freshmen we are bringing in, but I'm not sure how much. He could be great, but so could Rivera-Torres, Presley or Roberts, who all will be competing for time at the wing spot. I'm assuming that Taylor will lock down one of the wing spots as well and that this to provide depth at the position but that we are going to be starting someone who really doesn't have any experience at wing.

From a roster management standpoint - I'm a bit lukewarm on Ford, only because we already have a lot of talented, but unproven wings on the roster and they won't all be able to play. While adding Ford certainly doesn't preclude the addition of big man, his position certainly isn't a priority and if it is, Ford isn't the player we would be looking for to fill the need.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

The comments on the tweet from Arkansas folks were very positive and seem to indicate that he will be a big contributor somewhere else and is a great kid. We can hope....
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Looks like a good addition on paper. We should all accept that we’re going to have a mass exodus of players after every season now. We have room for him this season. Clearly we still need to sign a solid post player with experience. I would prefer a better than solid player but right now we have no experience in the post.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Yep. Continuity is no longer a thing. With the right attitude and approach we may find niches in the framework of the NIL/Portal world. Our coach has high end horsepower. We'll see what he figures out.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

buffy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 pm Yep. Continuity is no longer a thing. With the right attitude and approach we may find niches in the framework of the NIL/Portal world. Our coach has high end horsepower. We'll see what he figures out.
His original offer list speaks volumes.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:54 pm
buffy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:35 pm Yep. Continuity is no longer a thing. With the right attitude and approach we may find niches in the framework of the NIL/Portal world. Our coach has high end horsepower. We'll see what he figures out.
His physique ain’t too shabby either. Wish I were anywhere near that cut! :lol:
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:53 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:54 pm
His physique ain’t too shabby either. Wish I were anywhere near that cut! :lol:
You can only be 20 years old once. :cry: I miss the "rock star" hair I had back in the day too. :roll:
Locked Previous topicNext topic