Tyrin Lawrence

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

Post by geeznotagain »

bewna6623 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:05 pm Be “The Man” for a year, improve your game and then chase your dream. Another year in college, not at Auburn, can make you a first round pick. Auburn is loaded at guard and you will not get spotlighted.

I hope you are speaking with our Nil Folks. Keep hope alive.
I know from a reliable source that one of our NIL folks lives in the Pacific Northwest, and his name is Bigfoot. That's the only info that the private investigator I hired has been able to come up with.

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VUaskew wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 am
Hutch37 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am i cannot speak for every dismissal but I do know that Stack suggested to at least one if not several of our guys that it might be a good idea to transfer. And also that $$ was the main reason for our highest profile departures. Yes it is a lot of turnover that goes against what we all love about college hoops but I do not believe that it is accurate to believe that there is a big anti Stack feeling among the players. If there is a question it is how Vandy can create a bigger NIL war chest so this does not happen again.
I think the anti-Stack feeling is mostly coming from certain posters.

We are not terminally unique with respect to the transfer portal, so I don't know why we are all up in arms about it happening to us - it's happening to everybody. I don't like what the NIL/portal is doing to the college game, but to single out VU and CJS as not doing enough to keep the players seems absurd.
While I think CJS has done a really good job in developing players, even in this new paradigm the number of transfers has exceeded the overall NCAA D1 average, and this has been true over the last three seasons. And it is true that of the last three freshmen classes, we only have Dort, Smith and Lewis remaining with the team. I'm hoping that his talent identification processes are improving and will rely more heavily on the portal, mainly because we have been so unsuccessful in developing our freshmen into the upperclassmen that should be carrying the team each season.

So while 187 may have misidentified the actual problem (players liking CJS), he is not incorrect in pointing out a symptom of it (a lot of transfers). Which is the talent evaluation our HS players has been quite poor by this staff, and that results in a lot of them transferring when they cannot handle either the level of play in the SEC or the system that CJS runs. If CJS doesn't address this head on, it definitely limits his ability to have success (make the tournament). It is a cop out to suggest that there is nothing he can do about it either.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Hutch37 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am i cannot speak for every dismissal but I do know that Stack suggested to at least one if not several of our guys that it might be a good idea to transfer. And also that $$ was the main reason for our highest profile departures. Yes it is a lot of turnover that goes against what we all love about college hoops but I do not believe that it is accurate to believe that there is a big anti Stack feeling among the players. If there is a question it is how Vandy can create a bigger NIL war chest so this does not happen again.
Exactly, Hutch. We need to focus on the core issue that makes us more vulnerable.

I would also love for the university to see if VU can develop , through hybridization of current course offerings, a sports management major.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

OldDude wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:43 am
Exactly, Hutch. We need to focus on the core issue that makes us more vulnerable.

I would also love for the university to see if VU can develop , through hybridization of current course offerings, a sports management major.
I’m almost positive that VU has developed a “build-your-own major” in recent years — an interdisciplinary studies type approach that allows students to customize a major within certain guidelines. Of course, the coursework must exist for the proposed sport’s management track to work. I think this is part of why many VU athletes seemed to gravitate towards HOD for a long time; it’s the closest one can get. I think it makes sense for such a program to exist, as many athletes are passionate about their sport, and you don’t have to play professionally to stay involved in some professional capacity that you enjoy. But that might take convincing Kirkland that it isn’t a somehow “less than” major…
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Im hearing there’s still some possibility that Tyrin will return. The portal closes soon, May 12.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

that would be incredible if we got him back- I think it is fair to question our success in picking the right guys for the program but i also thought it important to curb some of the players don't like Stack commentary because it just does not seem to be true at all. Not sure how we find those willing to sit and learn and be developed in the "i want it now "current culture. I really think CJS is an excellent developer of talent but that takes time.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Well, for the good of the team I hope he does come back, but even if he averages 50 a game, he will never be my favorite player because of this crap he has pulled. Having said that, I'm sure he will loose sleep over it.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

commadore wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:51 pm Well, for the good of the team I hope he does come back, but even if he averages 50 a game, he will never be my favorite player because of this crap he has pulled. Having said that, I'm sure he will loose sleep over it.
If he comes back and only averages 30 per game, all is forgiven. I would love to see him back regardless , he seemed not only a good player but a good person.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

VUaskew wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 am
I think the anti-Stack feeling is mostly coming from certain posters.

We are not terminally unique with respect to the transfer portal, so I don't know why we are all up in arms about it happening to us - it's happening to everybody. I don't like what the NIL/portal is doing to the college game, but to single out VU and CJS as not doing enough to keep the players seems absurd.
We've experienced turnover as if we had a coaching change and no coach announced. We have lost entire classes multiple years. We have lost our best players early to the G league or another SEC school, etc. I don't know how you can sugar coat the fact that we are arguably going into next year with less talent, experience, and hope than at any time as a VU fan sans 1 or 2 years.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Come on back, Tyrin. Anchor Down!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:07 pm
commadore wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:51 pm Well, for the good of the team I hope he does come back, but even if he averages 50 a game, he will never be my favorite player because of this crap he has pulled. Having said that, I'm sure he will loose sleep over it.
If he comes back and only averages 30 per game, all is forgiven. I would love to see him back regardless , he seemed not only a good player but a good person.
I am a loyalist. I committed to Vanderbilt in 1964 when I was 8 years old. It is my team. Was my dream to go there and I felt honored to represent the black and gold, if just as a student screaming his fool head off on the first or second row. Anyone who is not for us, is against us. Anyone who was for us, but changes, is a Benedict Arnold in my mind. Call me old fashioned, call me a fool, and I am sure some of you will, but that is how I feel. Black and gold blood.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Vandy187187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pmI don't know how you can sugar coat the fact that we are arguably going into next year with less talent, experience, and hope than at any time as a VU fan sans 1 or 2 years.
I don't have time for a long post, but I don't need to "sugar coat" that because I flat out reject the premise.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Vandy187187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm I don't know how you can sugar coat the fact that we are arguably going into next year with less talent, experience, and hope than at any time as a VU fan sans 1 or 2 years.
You're welcome to take this position, but I just don't buy it. I see a badass coach learning to adjust to the conditions in front of him. Conditions he didn't create. I see a guy that could have dumped us at any time. The guy has all the money he needs to drink Pina Coladas at a beach for the rest of his time on Earth. But he straight-up steps right into the mess of college basketball created by greedy monsters. I've critiqued his roster management. And they're legitimate observations. But, my goodness, what more do you want from the guy. Regardless of the roster he puts together, each team ends up better than the last. If this next year's team sucks, I'm not about to fire him. Why? Because the portal allows you to address problems quickly. It's the wild west. If you have a guy that can coach, you're a lucky break in the portal away from greatness. We have a guy that can coach. The portal destroys continuity and fan investment in individual players, but oh boy, does it create opportunity.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:46 pm
OldDude wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:07 pm
I am a loyalist. I committed to Vanderbilt in 1964 when I was 8 years old. It is my team. Was my dream to go there and I felt honored to represent the black and gold, if just as a student screaming his fool head off on the first or second row. Anyone who is not for us, is against us. Anyone who was for us, but changes, is a Benedict Arnold in my mind. Call me old fashioned, call me a fool, and I am sure some of you will, but that is how I feel. Black and gold blood.
Personally, I think you are being harsh. Can you imagine what the NBA would look like if every player was an unrestricted free agent at the end of every year, and there was no salary cap? That's basically where the NCAA is now.

I can't fault a guy for taking a long look at what his options are. And if he takes a long look and then decides to come back to us after all ... hey, that's us winning.

I was mad when Al Horford left the Celtics to go to the Sixers. I was glad when he rejoined the Celtics. Just the way of the world. The NCAA shouldn't be like that. It didn't used to be like that. It is like that today. Sigh.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Obvious wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:52 pm Im hearing there’s still some possibility that Tyrin will return. The portal closes soon, May 12.
He didn’t get an invite to the combine so he ain’t going pro…
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

utahozzie wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:36 pm
Obvious wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:52 pm Im hearing there’s still some possibility that Tyrin will return. The portal closes soon, May 12.
He didn’t get an invite to the combine so he ain’t going pro…
He got an invite to the nba g league combine. The G league has increased in popularity over the past decade and has been a successful pipeline to the nba.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

It occurs to me that you probably have to enter yourself in the portal to negotiate if you're negotiating NIL. What an odd world we live in.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

buffy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:14 am
Vandy187187 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:03 pm I don't know how you can sugar coat the fact that we are arguably going into next year with less talent, experience, and hope than at any time as a VU fan sans 1 or 2 years.
You're welcome to take this position, but I just don't buy it. I see a badass coach learning to adjust to the conditions in front of him. Conditions he didn't create. I see a guy that could have dumped us at any time. The guy has all the money he needs to drink Pina Coladas at a beach for the rest of his time on Earth. But he straight-up steps right into the mess of college basketball created by greedy monsters. I've critiqued his roster management. And they're legitimate observations. But, my goodness, what more do you want from the guy. Regardless of the roster he puts together, each team ends up better than the last. If this next year's team sucks, I'm not about to fire him. Why? Because the portal allows you to address problems quickly. It's the wild west. If you have a guy that can coach, you're a lucky break in the portal away from greatness. We have a guy that can coach. The portal destroys continuity and fan investment in individual players, but oh boy, does it create opportunity.
So, since is going to be the situation every year, how many more years would you give Stack to get to the NCAAs? I'm seriously asking. And "almost" making it doesn't count IMO (I may be in the minority on that).
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 am
So, since is going to be the situation every year, how many more years would you give Stack to get to the NCAAs? I'm seriously asking. And "almost" making it doesn't count IMO (I may be in the minority on that).
Seems to me that NIL and the portal make it much more difficult to evaluate a coach's performance. True, he has some control over roster retention (team chemistry, properly allocating playing time), but I assume he has ZERO control over NIL. If he gets outbid for a player, is he accountable for that? The Syracuse coach (whose name I can't spell) accused Miami (and others) of "buying a team" this year. Does anyone doubt that is true? If you're coaching with a pauper's purse, what ya gonna do? NOTE: I'm assuming the coach has zero control over the amount of the NIL $ available and how those $ are used. That may not be true. Wish I knew.
Last edited by geeznotagain on Wed May 10, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:45 am So, since is going to be the situation every year, how many more years would you give Stack to get to the NCAAs? I'm seriously asking. And "almost" making it doesn't count IMO (I may be in the minority on that).
He literally was awarded SEC Coach of Year this year by the coaches. Do you think they were just trying to be nice? Maybe they saw this as an opportunity for an affirmative action selection? Or, perhaps our guy can flat out coach. Give me two years in a row of obvious decline and I'll need a deep explanation. But all we've gotten is better.

I am curious what the committee would have done if Liam was still playing for us.
Locked Previous topicNext topic