Commit Connor Cobb’s team DQ’d after no hitter

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Commit Connor Cobb’s team DQ’d after no hitter

Post by UltimateVUFan »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/vande ... no-hitter/

I understand the reason for the rule. But sometimes common sense is in order. One pitch over the 120 PC limit? Let their season play out.

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Commit Connor Cobb’s team DQ’d after no hitter

Post by Minoadoc »

now he can rest up and get ready to anchor down
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Sucks for the kid and team. Coach should've been following it closer. That said, the word on the street is that the info about pitch count violation came from a coach who was not participating in the game. His team was already in the championship game and was scouting to see who he'd have to play. Apparently he didn't want to face Cobb's school in the final so he contacted the losing team's coach and shared the info. You can guess what happened next. Otherwise, nobody knew it had happened. Basically this other coach used the info to pick who he'd get to play for the championship. I have no idea how it worked out, but if this coach won after all that - that feels a little scuzzy.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Also odd the rule does not allow the pitcher to finish the current batter when he hits the pitch count limit.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

BILTMORE wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:16 pm Sucks for the kid and team. Coach should've been following it closer. That said, the word on the street is that the info about pitch count violation came from a coach who was not participating in the game. His team was already in the championship game and was scouting to see who he'd have to play. Apparently he didn't want to face Cobb's school in the final so he contacted the losing team's coach and shared the info. You can guess what happened next. Otherwise, nobody knew it had happened. Basically this other coach used the info to pick who he'd get to play for the championship. I have no idea how it worked out, but if this coach won after all that - that feels a little scuzzy.
If true that is a LOT scuzzy
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BILTMORE wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:16 pm Sucks for the kid and team. Coach should've been following it closer. That said, the word on the street is that the info about pitch count violation came from a coach who was not participating in the game. His team was already in the championship game and was scouting to see who he'd have to play. Apparently he didn't want to face Cobb's school in the final so he contacted the losing team's coach and shared the info. You can guess what happened next. Otherwise, nobody knew it had happened. Basically this other coach used the info to pick who he'd get to play for the championship. I have no idea how it worked out, but if this coach won after all that - that feels a little scuzzy.
FWIW, the Main Street Media story referred to in the Saturday Down South story said that the Ensworth coach self-reported and that TSSAA confirmed it. (Of course, that doesn't preclude that the self report occurred AFTER the other coach brought it to his attention.)

From the Main Street article: Some time afterward, it was discovered that Cobb, a junior, had thrown 121 pitches, one more than the maximum 120.
The TSSAA confirmed that Ensworth coach Jason Maxwell self-reported the violation of 121 pitches Thursday morning to TSSAA assistant executive director Gene Menees, who oversees baseball. The TSSAA penalty for a first-time pitch count violation is a forfeit, a $50 fine and a one-game suspension for the team’s head coach.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

A. Rules are there for a purpose; they are not made to be broken.

B. If you let 121 pitches go, then why not 121 or 122?

C. The article said that the rule initially allowed a pitcher to finish with a batter when the pitch count reached 120, but that was changed a couple years later.

D. The coaches know the rules and should abide by them.

E. I do wonder why the Official Scorekeeper was not tracking the pitch count for the record, perhaps telling both coaches the count after each inning.

F. How was that not caught during the game? It would seem that the umpire would be alerted and say, “That pitcher is done for the day.”

G. Gene Meneese of the TSSAA is a former Vanderbilt player and has likely been in this position a long time. I would wager that these things get shored up in the rules before next season.

Finally (H?), why are they letting high school players throw 120 pitches in a game (plus warmups and throws to bases) when most MLB starting pitchers don’t even reach 100?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Versus75 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:36 am A. Rules are there for a purpose; they are not made to be broken.

B. If you let 121 pitches go, then why not 121 or 122?

C. The article said that the rule initially allowed a pitcher to finish with a batter when the pitch count reached 120, but that was changed a couple years later.

D. The coaches know the rules and should abide by them.

E. I do wonder why the Official Scorekeeper was not tracking the pitch count for the record, perhaps telling both coaches the count after each inning.

F. How was that not caught during the game? It would seem that the umpire would be alerted and say, “That pitcher is done for the day.”

G. Gene Meneese of the TSSAA is a former Vanderbilt player and has likely been in this position a long time. I would wager that these things get shored up in the rules before next season.

Finally (H?), why are they letting high school players throw 120 pitches in a game (plus warmups and throws to bases) when most MLB starting pitchers don’t even reach 100?
For what it is worth, agree on all counts.
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

Here is the link to the TSSA baseball pitch count policy as of 20/21. In tournament play, the pitch count is a big deal. Guessing that the excitement of having a no-hitter going caused the coach to not keep on top of this.

https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/t ... Policy.pdf
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Anyone know if we are recruiting him as a pitcher or as an infielder? I assume pitcher? I recall few if any 2-way players in the Corbin era. Spencer Jones might have if he didn’t injure his arm.
Locked Previous topicNext topic