Austin Martin

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

geeznotagain
Admiral

Austin Martin

Post by geeznotagain »

I ran across an update on Austin a couple of days ago. He is in the Twins organization, last played in Double A, where he had a sub-par year (batted .241). He is out with an elbow injury (sprained UCL) and there is no definite timetable when he will return. He missed some of last year as well with an injury, and there is some concern in the Twins organization regarding his durability. He has slipped from being their #2 rated prospect to #12. I think Austin was one of the top hitters we've ever had at Vandy, as good as Reynolds, who as we know is now making megabucks with the Pirates. I still think Austin will make it to the Bigs. His versatility (ability to play multiple positions) has to be a plus.

Also saw a brief update on the Yanks' Spencer Jones. The review was mostly positive, just mentioned that he needed to cut down on his strike outs. I think he too will make it. Too bad, I guess, about his arm issues. If I remember correctly his upside as a pitcher was even higher than as a hitter. He is quite an athlete.