Tyrin Lawrence

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence

Post by Doreknox »

Vandy187187 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:08 am I wonder if Bruce Pearl will be at Tyrin's wedding with Stack.
If so, I hope Stack catches Pearl in the restroom and b-slaps him.

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I wish Stac would make a statement about all this. I'd like to know how he feels about all his best buddy players abandoning the team, the program, and him.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 am I wish Stac would make a statement about all this. I'd like to know how he feels about all his best buddy players abandoning the team, the program, and him.
I suspect - given his NBA lineage and coaching background - that Stack has a different perspective on this than old guard college coaches. Roster flux has been the way of things in the NBA, especially in the G League where he honed his coaching chops. He doesn’t strike me as the type to make excuses. He’ll just do what is necessary to elicit the best from the new roster. As fans we just have to hope it comes together. However, this situation is neither caused by nor unique to Stack. It is the new reality. Frankly, after last season, I trust Stack to manage it better than I would anyone else VU could conceivably bring in to replace him. VU is lucky to have him IMO.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

No longer a Lawrence fan....may he ride the bench at Auburn!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He also has an invite to the G League combine, according to this report...
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

This take may not be received well but I honestly have a hard time being that mad at him. He provided some great moments for us and I will always appreciate that. I personally hope at this point he does well enough at the G-League combine that that outweighs the offer at Auburn from their NIL. I can't be that mad when he literally has a kid that he wants to provide for, a kid changes things, I hope our NIL made a push to provide that assistance but again we are behind a major 8 ball compared to the rest of the SEC and especially to a school like Auburn that has a huge NIL setup. It sucks but again its hard for me to hate the guy that much when he has a kid to provide for.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:38 pm He has a baby and he wants to make money. It’s not wrong of him. I just don’t want to cheer for him. I will always support Vanderbilt and how they operate.
Didn't Dan Langhi have a wife and kid? You didn't see him bolt for $$.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:06 pm
Obvious wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:38 pm He has a baby and he wants to make money. It’s not wrong of him. I just don’t want to cheer for him. I will always support Vanderbilt and how they operate.
There wasn’t NIL in 1999.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Obvious wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:13 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:06 pm
There wasn’t NIL in 1999.
I can’t tell if you’re being serious with that post.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

He can go to the q league as far as I'm concerned. I hope the damn door didn't hit his butt on the way out.
Tired of hearing about him. He is gone. Let him eat cake.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Would he make more in the G league than in college (at Auburn or wherever). At this point, it’s a job for him (and others in similar situations). To get mad at him isn’t fair. It’s the system we currently have and he’s being rational, sorry to say.
College ball paying more that the G League. Roll that over in your mind for a while.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

CJS to Bruce…” My friends in the G league just raised you…ante up or fold.”
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

For whatever reason, Tyrin to Auburn still isn't official. Stand by.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:46 pm Damn. If he were to stay in college for 3 more years (unlikely), he would be scary good — but in someone else’s house.
You must not be a Vandy fan?
bewna6623
Seaman Recruit

Post by bewna6623 »

Be “The Man” for a year, improve your game and then chase your dream. Another year in college, not at Auburn, can make you a first round pick. Auburn is loaded at guard and you will not get spotlighted.

I hope you are speaking with our Nil Folks. Keep hope alive.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

bewna6623 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:05 pm Be “The Man” for a year, improve your game and then chase your dream. Another year in college, not at Auburn, can make you a first round pick. Auburn is loaded at guard and you will not get spotlighted.

This was my hope/thought all along. Even after the portal announcement. I wondered if he was trying to leverage as much out of a VU NIL deal as possible. Though, honestly, I have very little hope of that anymore given the recruiting approach of the past few weeks. If there were any chance of his return, I can’t see Stack still pursuing guards.

It seems highly unlikely that Ty turns pro this year. I guess I have a hard time understanding the choice to leave a coach who has clearly made him a pro prospect in his time developing at VU, where he would obviously be the offensive focal point next season if he returned. I suspect he may end up regretting his long term decision for the short term payout.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:26 pm
bewna6623 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:05 pm Be “The Man” for a year, improve your game and then chase your dream. Another year in college, not at Auburn, can make you a first round pick. Auburn is loaded at guard and you will not get spotlighted.

This was my hope/thought all along. Even after the portal announcement. I wondered if he was trying to leverage as much out of a VU NIL deal as possible. Though, honestly, I have very little hope of that anymore given the recruiting approach of the past few weeks. If there were any chance of his return, I can’t see Stack still pursuing guards.

It seems highly unlikely that Ty turns pro this year. I guess I have a hard time understanding the choice to leave a coach who has clearly made him a pro prospect in his time developing at VU, where he would obviously be the offensive focal point next season if he returned. I suspect he may end up regretting his long term decision for the short term payout.
I wouldn’t be ao confused had Stack not publicly claimed to be a father figure for Tyrin. Tyrin committed to VU with that promise from coach. And then there’s the moment when Stack got teary eyed when talked about Jordan Wright. I believe the sincerity of Stackhouse. I guess we will never what happened with Tyrin. I can understand Wright wanting to go home and play after completing his Vanderbilt degree.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Obvious wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:45 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:26 pm

I wouldn’t be ao confused had Stack not publicly claimed to be a father figure for Tyrin. Tyrin committed to VU with that promise from coach. And then there’s the moment when Stack got teary eyed when talked about Jordan Wright. I believe the sincerity of Stackhouse. I guess we will never what happened with Tyrin. I can understand Wright wanting to go home and play after completing his Vanderbilt degree.
Those that say it's about money is hog wash. We lost half our team this year young and old. So something doesn't smell right. People who played and didn't and some sparingly they all left. Why? Nobody knows, and certainly Stack won't say anything he still has a wedding to attend one day.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

i cannot speak for every dismissal but I do know that Stack suggested to at least one if not several of our guys that it might be a good idea to transfer. And also that $$ was the main reason for our highest profile departures. Yes it is a lot of turnover that goes against what we all love about college hoops but I do not believe that it is accurate to believe that there is a big anti Stack feeling among the players. If there is a question it is how Vandy can create a bigger NIL war chest so this does not happen again.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Hutch37 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am i cannot speak for every dismissal but I do know that Stack suggested to at least one if not several of our guys that it might be a good idea to transfer. And also that $$ was the main reason for our highest profile departures. Yes it is a lot of turnover that goes against what we all love about college hoops but I do not believe that it is accurate to believe that there is a big anti Stack feeling among the players. If there is a question it is how Vandy can create a bigger NIL war chest so this does not happen again.
I think the anti-Stack feeling is mostly coming from certain posters.

We are not terminally unique with respect to the transfer portal, so I don't know why we are all up in arms about it happening to us - it's happening to everybody. I don't like what the NIL/portal is doing to the college game, but to single out VU and CJS as not doing enough to keep the players seems absurd.
Locked Previous topicNext topic