QMB to The Citadel

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

QMB to The Citadel

Post by Foreverhopeful »

On Twitter

Will postpone finishing the Engineering Masters degree to start on MBA.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: QMB to The Citadel

Post by dore74 »

I am speechless. Why would he do this?????
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I'm at a loss. Couldn't he start on the MBA at Vandy? None of it makes sense to me.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Former coach, Conroy, is now head coach. I get to see him play! Wow, what a shocker. Ed Conroy did this.

As much as I respect The Citadel, and I do, since I grew up on the campus and my father was head of the math department and I know lots of fine men who went there including some of my good friends, this is most puzzling unless Ed Conroy somehow became a father figure for Q - and they wanted more time together. I hope it is nothing more than this.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed May 03, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

I didn’t know the Citadel even had graduate programs. Guess they do.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I think a lot can be read into the plot twist part, I think he was seriously planning on staying.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Something is seriously not right here. Lots of head shaking moves this off-season. And guys leaving who were going to have no problem getting loads of PT next year? WTH is going on?????
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Well, I didn't expect that.

Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm I'm at a loss. Couldn't he start on the MBA at Vandy? None of it makes sense to me.
Unfortunately, not without work experience.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

dore74 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:22 pm I am speechless. Why would he do this?????
It baffles me as well. According to Citadel website, MBA courses are offered "in the evenings on campus or online". This seems to mean almost totally online for him due to scheduling conflicts. Citadel's E school sounds a little less than great given all their comparisons only to schools with masters being the highest level available. QMB is a smart man and have to wonder shifting to a school that I suspect has high personal standards but rather modest academic reputation.

Attrition through the portal is very high for VU with some very odd circumstances; hope there is nothing of concern overall.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

He's pausing his engineering degree for now. He could have been finished by August with some hard work. He clearly decided he wanted to play one more year and be the main Big.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Isn’t there a military factor at The Citadel? How long must QMB serve?

And if online classes are okay for scholarship athletes, the University of Phoenix could collect a great team of transfers … then play all of their games on the road. The WAC would take them.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Versus75 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:41 am Isn’t there a military factor at The Citadel? How long must QMB serve?
Citadel undergraduates are not obligated to serve in the military, and graduate students are not subject to the same standards as undergraduate students.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

QMB not playing at VU next year is a shame.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I'm done being shocked, but I'm shocked.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I know there isn't a military OBLIGATION, but don't you still have to still put on uniforms at the Citadel and drill?

It was my experience when I was in the military that people who went to the Citadel and VMI were FAR more conservative than people who went to the military academies.

In any case, if Vanderbilt were ANY other SEC school, the athletic director would have sent out a message to the fan base addressing why pretty much the entire basketball team has transferred out.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

historybill wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:48 am I know there isn't a military OBLIGATION, but don't you still have to still put on uniforms at the Citadel and drill?

It was my experience when I was in the military that people who went to the Citadel and VMI were FAR more conservative than people who went to the military academies.

In any case, if Vanderbilt were ANY other SEC school, the athletic director would have sent out a message to the fan base addressing why pretty much the entire basketball team has transferred out.
Graduate students are non-military - only undergraduate cadets wear the uniform and faculty.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:04 pm
historybill wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:48 am I know there isn't a military OBLIGATION, but don't you still have to still put on uniforms at the Citadel and drill?

Graduate students are non-military - only undergraduate cadets wear the uniform and faculty.
I suspect Candace has spoken to athletes and Stack, but we will never be informed about these private conversations not should we be. A good AD - and she is, would deal with this. We are not part of the process.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Bowling Green State...Citadel...

Nothing against those schools but the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. That should be a warning label on the portal before an athlete enters his name. Some of the guys in there would be lucky to hear from Trevecca. It might benefit the intramural hoops somewhere when they end up with no chair when the music stops.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:18 pm Well, I didn't expect that.

Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:28 pm I'm at a loss. Couldn't he start on the MBA at Vandy? None of it makes sense to me.
Auric…I’m guessing you are referring to acceptance to Owens requires work experience. Garraud, a transfer for our women’s team, received her masters from Owens in marketing. If I am off base in my thought on your meaning, please accept my apology!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Ndorefin wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:57 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:18 pm Well, I didn't expect that.

Auric…I’m guessing you are referring to acceptance to Owens requires work experience. Garraud, a transfer for our women’s team, received her masters from Owens in marketing. If I am off base in my thought on your meaning, please accept my apology!
Oh no, not at all. Owen actually does offer a masters of marketing that is a year-long program that is open to recent graduates without work experience. It's just really difficult to gain entry to a traditional two-year MBA program at a top-tier program without work experience.
Locked Previous topicNext topic