Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Post by VUaskew »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:21 pm I don’t think those comments had to do with Tyrin. They DO apply to some others who saw an easier path somewhere else, however. And it is certainly true in the workplace. I think Shelby didn’t have the patience to develop and wait his turn, for one thing.
BINGO!!!

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I’m resigned to the fact the NIL was inevitable and I don’t think it’s all bad. I wonder, after a few years, when some of these funds showered on athletes turn out to be a bad investment. Everything is new, at the present time, and the money is pouring in. Eventually some of these contributors will look more closely at their investments when their money doesn’t provide the desired result. I don’t pretend to know all of the rules and/or regulations regarding NIL payments, but the booster money paid may be gone if the athlete decides to transfer. The NCAA has little authority when it comes to most (if not all) agreements between the athletes and their NIL.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is the transfer policy. This is what is destroying the product more than anything. The universities are recruiting freshmen for one year. These players are used to being the BMOC and are quick in becoming disenchanted with their lack of playing time or whatever and are not mature enough in making decisions that are a result of their disappointment after one year of college. Make it a rule where you have to sit out a year if you choose to transfer after your freshman year.NIL is not the the motivating factor for most of these freshmen, in that if they are satisfied, they stay where they are. If they are not satisfied, they leave and most will not get significant NIL money because their first year was probably a disappointment and their numbers will reflect that.

My hope is that the NBA will be allowed to draft high schoolers who are looking for money and have a reasonable chance of making it. I am also hoping that this will settle down after a few years as COVID has been an additional factor in eligibility and has contributed to the current chaos. I also think an alternative would be for any athlete to regain his eligibility if he plays a year G-league or a comparable league and never makes an NBA roster. Some form of such a concept could be adopted if an athlete has come to the realization his skills are not as great as he thought and he wants an education while he develops. After all, he is being paid in either scenario so what makes the difference as to the source of his payments!
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

CJS has been unabashed in his commentary; he’ll play by these new rules to get what he’s looking for; logically, he encourages his players to do the same.

Tyrin isn’t hitting any nba lists yet. Have to wonder if there’s something to showing dexterity and excelling under another coach. Point being, we just don’t know what he heard when he tested the NBA waters.

That stated, if this is a stunt to get VU to pay more, I hope we don’t play along. All good if he’s looking maximize the opportunity that nil gives him by transferring.

Finally, I’m sure Tyrin heard all about the legendary cookouts Bruce hosts for recruits. That alone is worth the trip to Auburn.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I have no clue what is going on with Tyrin. But my feeling is that the longer we wait, the more likely it is that he returns. Maybe there is a hold up in money and they are trying to make it available to him? I feel after a few sec visits without signing he is getting his worth and asking for something comparable. I have had a lot of time to ponder what is going on.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Obvious wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 am I have no clue what is going on with Tyrin. But my feeling is that the longer we wait, the more likely it is that he returns. Maybe there is a hold up in money and they are trying to make it available to him? I feel after a few sec visits without signing he is getting his worth and asking for something comparable. I have had a lot of time to ponder what is going on.
I’ve actually had similar thoughts. Really hope your read is correct. He is a critical cog in next year’s team and their ability to hit the ground running. I would think he’d want to know where he stands in the pecking order and have the ability to showcase himself. He and Manjon built excellent chemistry and would be one of the strongest starting backcourts in the league.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:15 am I have no clue what is going on with Tyrin. But my feeling is that the longer we wait, the more likely it is that he returns. Maybe there is a hold up in money and they are trying to make it available to him? I feel after a few sec visits without signing he is getting his worth and asking for something comparable. I have had a lot of time to ponder what is going on.
Maybe the G-league thing is the holdup? Some g-league guys end up with a "two-way" contract witch is a step toward an NBA roster spot for real. It's not the instant good fortune on being a first round NBA pick. Those are guaranteed. Even second round picks are not. As Kennedy Chandler recently found out. He was beaten out for the 3rd string PG job for the Grizz by a 5-9/160 guy out of Richmond on a 2-way contract.
Locked Previous topicNext topic