Ze’Rik Onyema

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Ze’Rik Onyema

Post by doubledore9603 »

Good looking project transfer from UTEP

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Ze’Rik Onyema

Post by Jason94 »

doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:15 pm Good looking project transfer from UTEP

Interesting prospect - has size at 6'-8", 230, so he would be immediately in the mix for PT. UTEP is in CUSA, so they played a number of tough teams, including twice against UAB, N. Texas and FAU and a early season matchup against Texas.

He made a lot of his interior shots, which is a good sign that he is likely a post player. He was moderately involved in the offense but didn't play every minute but the sample size was large enough to suggest that he has some skill inside. He is a poor FT shooter and it foul prone, which probably explains why he started most every game but only played around 19 mpg. He is a fairly good rebounder, not great but better than most of what we have. He does get some shot blocks as well but isn't Robbins (few are). He was a little turnover prone, though this season represented a vast improvement over previous years.

This seems like a pretty fair gamble. Somewhat similar rate numbers to Jack, but earned against much tougher competition overall, and with a much higher involvement in the offense. I still think that CJS could probably do better (but he definitely could do worse) and that in no way should he be "done" should someone like Onyema decide to transfer here.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

and... drumroll please...

C-USA Commissioner's Honor Roll (2021)
C-USA Commissioner's Academic Medalist (2021)
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

By the way, per rumors, he might visit Texas depending on what Disu and the other tall guy does.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Are we that desperate? Sounds like weak prospect.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Disu is going back to Texas.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm Are we that desperate? Sounds like weak prospect.
If he’s being recruited by Texas, he can’t be that weak of a prospect.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:15 pm
Nashmann wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm Are we that desperate? Sounds like weak prospect.
Yeah, you know, those "weak" final four teams.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:17 pm
He's being recruited by a final four team as well as Texas? Which one? That seems promising if we can get him, thought the competition will be difficult. Is he from Texas? Might not want to go to Tennessee if he has ties to Texas and play there.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:38 pm

He's being recruited by a final four team as well as Texas? Which one? That seems promising if we can get him, thought the competition will be difficult. Is he from Texas? Might not want to go to Tennessee if he has ties to Texas and play there.
All time numbers for Texas basketball:

NCAA tourney - 37 times
Final 32 - 20 times
Sweet sixteen - 11 times
Final eight - 8 times
Final four - 3 times

Plus his school UTEP obviously won a huge national title over UK when it was called Texas Western. You saw the move Glory Road?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-165Tp4hlIs
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:18 pm

NCAA tourney - 37 times
Final 32 - 20 times
Sweet sixteen - 11 times
Final eight - 8 times
Final four - 3 times

Plus his school UTEP obviously won a huge national title over UK when it was called Texas Western. You saw the move Glory Road?

Wait, so he is not being recruited by one of this year's final four teams? You are calling Texas a final four team because they went to one 20 years ago? That is odd. I guess we are a final 8 team then? Was Oneyama even out of daipers the last time Texas was in the final four? That is about the oddest way to characterize Texas. If he isn't tied to Texas (the state) we might have a pretty good shot at him.

Never saw glory road but heard of it. I doubt most kids care about things that happened 40 years before they were born however. Heck, the movie is 17 years old.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

His Twitter profile indicates he’s from Nigeria. I don’t think the state of texas will be a deciding factor. I don’t like to look at previous stats all that much. Stackhouse is a proven developer.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:55 am His Twitter profile indicates he’s from Nigeria. I don’t think the state of texas will be a deciding factor. I don’t like to look at previous stats all that much. Stackhouse is a proven developer.
I would guess that Onyema came into UTEP very raw, and only picked up basketball due to his height. But his highlight videos show someone who is very athletic, and his stats represent a big jump from the previous seasons.

It is likely he is a bit of a project, but one who has upside and may be starting to figure things out. Recall the last project from Nigeria that we had turned out pretty well.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Darius Coulibaly?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Festus was from Nigeria
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Steve and siakim both came from Cameroon and were very good but the time they left
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:18 pm

NCAA tourney - 37 times
Final 32 - 20 times
Sweet sixteen - 11 times
Final eight - 8 times
Final four - 3 times

Weak sauce. h0404
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Great to watch Rupp get put in his place.

Not all 100% as it happened in real life but close enough. Hollywood likes to embellish.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:31 pm I thought it was a pretty good movie. Great to watch Rupp get put in his place.

Not all 100% as it happened in real life but close enough. Hollywood likes to embellish.
Even though they didn’t win it all, they had a hell of a team. Rupp’s Runts were 27-2 that year, and had Riley and Dampier. This was my freshman year at Vandy, and they breezed through the SEC schedule. Taking nothing away from the Texas Western team, who was the better team that night, I think the Cats might have come out the winner in a best of 3 playoff. We’ll never know.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:55 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:31 pm I thought it was a pretty good movie. Great to watch Rupp get put in his place.

Even though they didn’t win it all, they had a hell of a team. Rupp’s Runts were 27-2 that year, and had Riley and Dampier. This was my freshman year at Vandy, and they breezed through the SEC schedule. Taking nothing away from the Texas Western team, who was the better team that night, I think the Cats might have come out the winner in a best of 3 playoff. We’ll never know.
Pat Riley said TWC was the better team period. Maybe he was just being a good sport, but he did say it.

TWC played #4 Iowa, #7 Cincinnati, #3 Kansas, and #1 ranked UK that season and beat all of them. Pretty convincing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic