OT: Kentucky's Will Levis

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

OT: Kentucky's Will Levis

Post by commadore »

All the experts and announcers were convinced this kid would go in the first round. Some even said in the first two or three. I am sorry, I never saw it. Has good size, has a good arm, but compared to Young, Stroud, and the Florida QB he was a ways back. Now today all the sports stories, to paraphrase a Yahoo article, are saying he had to face the indignity of sitting in the green room but not getting drafted. No sympathy. He will get drafted today, sign a contract that will givee him more money than 95% of the people will have at retirement, and if he is as good as the "experts" said, he will sign a bigger one in 4-5 years.
Time to sack up, bud.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Kentucky's Will Levis

Post by Go Vandy! »

The teams saw what we did. He was pretty average last season. He lost to Andy!
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

Anthony Richardson was extraordinarily inconsistent (and injury prone) during his time at Uf… selecting him 4th overall strikes me as insanity.

All QB selections are a gamble, but I would be willing to bet Levis is more likely to be a successful nfl quarterback than Richardson.

Stroud would have been my number one pick.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I watch football in the fall, but don't follow the draft and the combine.

I'm shocked and amused that two quarterbacks who were outplayed by MIKE WRIGHT and who lost to a Vanderbilt team that had lost TWENTY SIX CONSECUTIVE SEC GAMES would go so high in the NFL draft.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Yeah, I agree with you all.

Jay Cutler, who in the grand scheme of things was a fairly mediocre NFL quarterback, was a legit stud at Vandy. He took a couple of really bad Vandy teams and made them competitive. Levis at UK was ... fine. He threw a lot of interceptions. Wasn't a scrambler. Started for a good UK team one year and a very mediocre team for one year. I'm not sure what made him a darling of some draft prognosticators.

Richardson ... I can see why he went high in the sense that he has high end upside and elite QBs are both the most important and the hardest to find ingredient n building a great team. So even though he isn't really good enough to be the #4 pick, you have teams willing to gamble with him at #4. He could so easily be a bust.

Levis ... I just don't see it at all.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Titans were just waiting for him to fall to 33.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Cutler could have been outstanding had he ever played for a good team. After Denver, he never had even a poor front line. As a result he was no better than he was.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

While I agree with the sentiment here - I don’t necessarily agree with the negativity. Both Levis and Richardson present uncertainties.

Levis is a very good player - with very good skills. He also lacks some skills - which means he requires a fit. Give him a good line and receivers and coach Jim that he doesn’t have to do it himself and he can be all-pro. Force him to run for his life and take chances and he will be a bust. Fit is often beyond a player’s control.

Richardson, to me, is a much bigger gamble. He has raw athleticism - but really showed me little with touch or field management. Of course, he really had a bad game against us.

One thing about SEC qbs is they have played against the best. I always shake my head when teams risk it all to get some qb who lit it up against nobody and struggled when playing real defenses. BYU’s Wilson being that most recent example.

Young is a stud in every respect except height (which is not unimportant.) Stroud is also a stud. Both should do well. It will be intriguing to see where Stetson Bennett goes. I’m
guessing Atlanta. There is something to say for intangibles.

Next year Caleb Williams will dominate - I think Spencer Rattler will too. We will face Rattler.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

I think Levis’ problems could be largely corrected w good coaching, not to mention better health and surrounding cast.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

roanoke wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:36 am While I agree with the sentiment here - I don’t necessarily agree with the negativity. Both Levis and Richardson present uncertainties.

Levis is a very good player - with very good skills. He also lacks some skills - which means he requires a fit. Give him a good line and receivers and coach Jim that he doesn’t have to do it himself and he can be all-pro. Force him to run for his life and take chances and he will be a bust. Fit is often beyond a player’s control.

Richardson, to me, is a much bigger gamble. He has raw athleticism - but really showed me little with touch or field management. Of course, he really had a bad game against us.

One thing about SEC qbs is they have played against the best. I always shake my head when teams risk it all to get some qb who lit it up against nobody and struggled when playing real defenses. BYU’s Wilson being that most recent example.

Young is a stud in every respect except height (which is not unimportant.) Stroud is also a stud. Both should do well. It will be intriguing to see where Stetson Bennett goes. I’m
guessing Atlanta. There is something to say for intangibles.

Next year Caleb Williams will dominate - I think Spencer Rattler will too. We will face Rattler.
Outstanding post. 100% agree
Locked Previous topicNext topic