Vandy in the mix for Campbell transfer Anthony Dell'Orso

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Vandy in the mix for Campbell transfer Anthony Dell'Orso

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:23 pm I find it funny a year ago we were getting annoyed with all the 6’2-6’4 guards. We’re basically adding the same positions but with a few extra inches in height.
Huh? I don't know what you are talking about, but I was concerned about how many point guards we had on the roster, two of whom were in the 6' range. PG's can only play at PG or at a taller position - there is nowhere down to go.

Wings OTOH can play at the 2 guard spot or can play at (and reasonably defend) the PF spot. 6'-6" guys are far more versatile than 6'-0" guys. These are not only different positions, but far more versitile players as well. Pretty big difference and not inconsistent in any way.

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:40 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:34 pm
To be fair, Campbell played a weak schedule, with the only D1 team they played being NCSU, which was his second game ever.
I counted 32 games Campbell played vs D1 teams last season.

Do I need to list them all?
I meant high major. But I think you understood what I meant from context.
[/quote]

Actually, you confused me as well. I thought he may have been coming from CampbellsVILLE University in Harrodsburg, Kentucky.

But then I looked at the schedule …
https://cuhpioneers.com/sports/mbb/schedule/2022-23

… and saw that Campbellsville played THREE Division I schools (all exhibitions): Morehead State, Bellarmine, Lipscomb.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:42 pm
Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:23 pm I find it funny a year ago we were getting annoyed with all the 6’2-6’4 guards. We’re basically adding the same positions but with a few extra inches in height.
Huh? I don't know what you are talking about, but I was concerned about how many point guards we had on the roster, two of whom were in the 6' range. PG's can only play at PG or at a taller position - there is nowhere down to go.

Wings OTOH can play at the 2 guard spot or can play at (and reasonably defend) the PF spot. 6'-6" guys are far more versatile than 6'-0" guys. These are not only different positions, but far more versitile players as well. Pretty big difference and not inconsistent in any way.
That was not directed at you. But furthermore, basketball has evolved to be positionless especially in the pro game. There is a primary point guard and a lot of movement among the 4 other players. So yes, it’s the same system but with taller players.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm

That was not directed at you. But furthermore, basketball has evolved to be positionless especially in the pro game. There is a primary point guard and a lot of movement among the 4 other players. So yes, it’s the same system but with taller players.
But I don't think it was the position so much as having players who were going to be limited defensively due to their height. Which turned out to be a very valid concern, given that our defense went from very good in 2022 to really bad in 2023. Regardless of which position you place them at, a 6'-6" player is going to be able to better defend that position than a player who stands 6'-0".
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:28 pm
Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm

But I don't think it was the position so much as having players who were going to be limited defensively due to their height. Which turned out to be a very valid concern, given that our defense went from very good in 2022 to really bad in 2023. Regardless of which position you place them at, a 6'-6" player is going to be able to better defend that position than a player who stands 6'-0".
We agree on that. I like the recruitment thus far. A 6’6” guy can give you more lineup options and we have a lot of them now.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

All I’m saying is we had multiple lineups last year with 3-4 players no taller than 6’4”
EmoryCommodore
Petty Officer

Post by EmoryCommodore »

I'm fine with a bunch of guards and wings ala Illinois of the late 80s if we plan on running uptempo and pressing.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

247 shows he enrolled at Campbell, yesterday, which is quite confusing! It also shows he committed to Campbell and signed with them yesterday. I believe 247 is as confused as I am unless he decided to stay put???
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:13 pm 247 shows he enrolled at Campbell, yesterday, which is quite confusing! It also shows he committed to Campbell and signed with them yesterday. I believe 247 is as confused as I am unless he decided to stay put???
Must have been a top player then.....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

That is what it says. 2022.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:13 pm 247 shows he enrolled at Campbell, yesterday, which is quite confusing! It also shows he committed to Campbell and signed with them yesterday. I believe 247 is as confused as I am unless he decided to stay put???

This is what I was referring to….it says April 26, 2023!

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

FWIW there's nothing in his Twitter feed or in his Twitter bio that would indicate he has decided to return to Campbell. He still has his transfer portal announcement up as a pinned tweet, although he does note in it that he would still be open to the idea of returning to the Camels.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Wow....so we are battling Campbell for his services..
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

This whole thing is...baffling. If I was a young man, and an academic top 20 school (any of them) offered me a scholarship AND a spot on their D1 basketball team, I would jump at it. He could very well start for us next year. I'm sure Campbell is a nice school but I can't imagine it would hold a candle to Vanderbilt or Nashville.

It seems we can't give a $70k per year education away.
Last edited by Doreknox on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Would like to have an adult beverage with Coach Stack and get his take on this whole mess. I imagine this must be beating the heck out of him. Moreover, how does he see the world of college hoops and VU hoops in particular dealing with all this going forward.
He's a guy that calls it as he sees it. Maybe the Hustler or Tennessean can get an interview with him. Realize that in a public venue he would be limited in what he could say, but really is time for him go public with something.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

He’s not going to tell Aria (Tennessean) anything. She’s not a favorite….
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

They do seem to have a mutual disdain going, but time heals all...
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Labradore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 am I will point out that 6’6” is arguably the perfect basketball height… think of the Chicago Bulls teams that started 4 6’6” guys and a center for multiple championships (Rodman, Harper, Jordan, Pippen, plus whoever)… I’m being a little tongue-in-cheek, but it really is the size that conceivably gives the ability to guard every position on the floor, rebound well, etc.

Give me a full roster of 6’6”-6’7” guys with the right skill sets and I’ll take it every day.
Um sorry, but Pippen and Rodman were both 6’8” and very long. Plus Rodman was extremely strong and one of the greatest rebounders in history. And the center for that team was Luc Longley, who was huge by NBA standards. That was not a small team.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

So did he go back to Campbell or is he coming to Vanderbilt (or elsewhere).
Locked Previous topicNext topic