Madison Greene named Ohio Ms. Basketball finalist

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyJim
Chief

Madison Greene named Ohio Ms. Basketball finalist

Post by VandyJim »

Not sure if this was posted already, but I found this as I was looking up Vandy's '23 incoming recruits. The article mentions Beth Ostendorf too, which brought back some good memories.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pickerington-c ... 40428.html

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Madison Greene named Ohio Ms. Basketball finalist

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:25 pm Not sure if this was posted already, but I found this as I was looking up Vandy's '23 incoming recruits. The article mentions Beth Ostendorf too, which brought back some good memories.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pickerington-c ... 40428.html
Good stuff, Jim. You got our girl Ava Jaye Black ready to commit yet? No pressure. It's just the future of our program in your hands. :mrgreen:

While you're at it, what can you tell me about Kaelyn Carroll from Tabor? Vandyfan52 told me about her, and I checked her highlights. Very good player, Seems to be some social media connections between her and Vandy.

By the way,, I have a strong feeling about Madison Greene. I think she has a chance to be a good one.

Take care. Nice to hear from you again.
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Hi Mike

I'm super excited about the five recruits coming in next season. I've been reading a lot about them and watching videos. They all bring something unique, different. We're going to be bigger and more athletic up front, and our guards will be excellent, especially if our injured players are fully healed. And Madison Greene is tremendous, so athletic. She'll fit perfectly with Coach Ralph's style.

Kaelyn Carroll from Tabor Academy ... tall, athletic, plays perimeter. Works real hard. Needs to improve outside shot. I love her. Definitely has SEC athleticism. I'm not sure how she fits in to Vandy's plans with Makurat coming. I'll keep my ears open but have not heard anything that she is considering Vandy.

OK ... Ava Black (Carroll's teammate at Tabor) ... my sense is that she'll stay in New England. No direct contact here with the player or family, just my sense and what I "hear." She is a tremendous offensive player.

Mike, I have a huge nugget of breaking news ... potentially, straight from mom's mouth to my ears. But I cannot say anything yet. I love this player, and should she end up at Vandy, she'd be the highest rated player (HoopGurlz) on the roster. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping on this one.

That's all for now. Pull for Katie Clark!!! Such an amazing person and player.
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

We are way overdue for some great news! Thx guys for your info,We have the Coach & staff - just need the warriors!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:45 pm Hi Mike

I'm super excited about the five recruits coming in next season. I've been reading a lot about them and watching videos. They all bring something unique, different. We're going to be bigger and more athletic up front, and our guards will be excellent, especially if our injured players are fully healed. And Madison Greene is tremendous, so athletic. She'll fit perfectly with Coach Ralph's style.

Kaelyn Carroll from Tabor Academy ... tall, athletic, plays perimeter. Works real hard. Needs to improve outside shot. I love her. Definitely has SEC athleticism. I'm not sure how she fits in to Vandy's plans with Makurat coming. I'll keep my ears open but have not heard anything that she is considering Vandy.

OK ... Ava Black (Carroll's teammate at Tabor) ... my sense is that she'll stay in New England. No direct contact here with the player or family, just my sense and what I "hear." She is a tremendous offensive player.

Mike, I have a huge nugget of breaking news ... potentially, straight from mom's mouth to my ears. But I cannot say anything yet. I love this player, and should she end up at Vandy, she'd be the highest rated player (HoopGurlz) on the roster. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping on this one.

That's all for now. Pull for Katie Clark!!! Such an amazing person and player.
Thanks for the feedback. If forced to remove my Commodore cloak, I'd have to admit that when I saw Ava Black got the Villanova offer, I thought that could be the perfect system and the perfect league for her. Same goes for the Ivies. I think she's athletic enough and smart enough to adapt to the SEC's Sumo Ball style, but to my limited knowledge, she seems to play a more pretty style of basketball. It's a style I very much prefer. It's why I turned away from the SEC tournament the moment Vandy was eliminated and started focusing on Belmont, Lipscomb, the Ivy League and the Big East.

You made my old heart flutter a bit with your nugget of breaking news. I wouldn't ask you to betray a confidence, but I have to admit you got me thinking and guessing. '24? '25? Transfer?... :)

I'm very interested in the present recruiting cycle. I've made the statement here on more than one occasion that, in terms of the roster, I think the true rebuild starts next season when coach Ralph will have five new players on what is presently an 11-player roster (with probable grad students/transfers to be added). Add to that the two sophomores (Jada Brown and Ryanne Allen), and you have seven of the 11 players who were recruited by Ralph. And, she did sign Sacha Washington and Iyanna Moore, though they committed to the previous staff.

I waiver between high optimism and slight concern about the incoming five-player class. As time goes on, and I think about and study them a bit more, I'm leaning more and more toward optimism. In fact, I've become downright bullish on Agata Makurat. Her shooting ability is undeniable, and her passing is elite. I'm only slightly less high on Khamil Pierre only because I don't have a clear picture on her offensive abilities. She's prolific in high school, and her athleticism no doubt sets her apart from many at that level. I suspect she will become a big piece of the puzzle for Vandy. And, as you said above, Madison Greene looks to be a guard that will fit perfectly in coach Ralph's style. Aiyana Mitchell, 6'4, moves well for her size and could prove to be our first true big in years. I'm very much wait-and-see on 6'3 Bailey Gilmore mostly because there isn't much video on her, and her offer list is not as impressive as you would hope. Still, if you're going to take a flyer on a recruit, do it on a tall, athletic kid who is a great student. She'll be an asset one way or another.

Coach Ralph is very optimistic about the future, and hearing her talk about it, I can't help but be optimistic, too. Still, I think this next recruiting class is crucial. I'm waiting for a home run commitment of the sort that can help draw more elite players to the program. Maybe your girl is the one.

Take care. Stop by and talk to us once in a while. It gets lonesome. :D
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Mike

Just saw your portal list from April 5. That's as much of a hint as I can give you. I talked to mom this week. Vandy is top 5. Schools from ACC, Big 10, and Big East are also in the picture. I lobbied hard for the opportunity to attend an awesome school like Vanderbilt ... and of course, Coach Ralph was the cherry on top! Fingers crossed. No one on the current/incoming roster has this player's skill set.
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

Did she commit somewhere else today?
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Illinois :(
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

VandyJim wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:03 amIllinois :(
Can someone explain who has committed to Illinois? Madison Greene? Am I confused?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

DoreFan49 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:47 pm
VandyJim wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:03 amIllinois :(
Can someone explain who has committed to Illinois? Madison Greene? Am I confused?
No. Sorry about that. It's a player that Jim knew was considering transferring to Vandy but he couldn't betray a confidence and say who it was while she was making up her mind. It was Shay Bollin who is transferring from Duke and chose Illinois over several other schools, including Vandy. She also considered Vandy out of high school when coach White was still here. She's 6'3 and has talent but a bothersome injury history. Hopefully she has put all that behind her and will thrive at Illinois.
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Exactly. Like most of the kids in our aau program, the Bay State Jaguars, Bollin values education. I think that's why she chose Duke originally. She left Duke because she wanted to play, actually get on the floor and contribute. Duke, like so many top schools now, is leaning to the portal to grab players for the short term. I think she saw the writing on the wall and made her decision to play elsewhere. Illinois affords her the chance to play immediately.

Vandy was not just in the mix, but was on her very short list of schools to transfer to. The family loves Coach Ralph. So while I am disappointed that Bollin did not ultimately choose Vandy, I take great optimism in knowing that Coach Ralph is so highly respected and admired that players consider Vandy not only because it is an excellent school, but also because the program is headed by her. The days are coming when Vandy will start drawing top-rated players. And honestly this incoming class is a huge step in the right direction and is going to be fun to watch, just wait and see!
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

Well is Madison Green still comming to us or not?
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

janvandy66 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:14 pm Well is Madison Green still comming to us or not?
Yes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic