Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Post by fldore »

I'm sure it's near impossible to run a program with no transfers but we shouldn't lose players at the rate we do. There will always be a kid that wants more pt, be closer to home, etc... but the fact we have so many core players leaving for equal or lesser programs points to a deeper problem.

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

fldore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:47 am I'm sure it's near impossible to run a program with no transfers but we shouldn't lose players at the rate we do. There will always be a kid that wants more pt, be closer to home, etc... but the fact we have so many core players leaving for equal or lesser programs points to a deeper problem.
I think we have come to the conclusion that it’s mostly NIL related. There are going to be large amounts of money thrown around. The question is will Vanderbilt participate and do you really want them to participate?
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

NIl but I imagine it’s not easy to play for Stackhouse. He’s an intense dude and you can’t bs him either. He was a tough player that would fight a guy if he had to. Kids seem less inclined to play for a coach like that these days. Saw it w Stallings and his Gene Keady like personality. Some kids appreciated the tough love and some kids couldn’t wait to get away from him.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Stackhouse has a good blueprint for getting to the NBA. He’s a great developer. If these kids say they want to go to the league but don’t want to work for it then it’s on them. They want to be paid like pros but they also get their feelings hurt. The real world has come to them.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in their generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until they have to get another job. Same things the athletes are doing.
Last edited by commadore on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

yes, this is an instant gratification society we live in. No one wants to work for anything.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:01 am yes, this is an instant gratification society we live in. No one wants to work for anything.
The funny part is that it’s not even a job yet. It’s a game of basketball.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Kobe, Jordan, none of those guys refused to work hard. Their work ethic was unmatched.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

commadore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in there generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until they have to get another job. Same things the athletes are doing.
Post of the day. I think many of our players were OK with the hard work- or thought they were- but if an "easier" option- or lots more $$ presents itself, they are gone.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:33 pm Sadly, I believe MrMemorial is correct.
This whole covid year/portal/NIL combination is uncharted waters. Without unlimited booster involvement...a puzzle with no answer.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

I believe Lawrence is the only one who could draw decent NIL money from another school. Wright may get some, but, he’s a grad transfer who’s going home….I don’t blame him, but I doubt NIL was the motivating factor on its own. I also believe Lawrence needs the money and has been recruited before he hit the portal…..I’d bet the house on that!
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

commadore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in their generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until they have to get another job. Same things the athletes are doing.
Absolutely true. I've been in the hiring business since 2014. Nowadays everyone even with no experience thinks they should start at $100K base salary, 30 days vacation, remote work, and guaranteed bonus on top for signing. Nobody wants to work in an office anymore they want to roll out of bed and make what people make with a decade or more of experience make. Everyone wants get rich quick and easy LOL. And I'm in sales, so commissions are all on top of that to the tune of $100-200K. Kids out of college think they should earn $200-300K and work on their couch.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:49 pm
commadore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in their generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until they have to get another job. Same things the athletes are doing.
Absolutely true. I've been in the hiring business since 2014. Nowadays everyone even with no experience thinks they should start at $100K base salary, 30 days vacation, remote work, and guaranteed bonus on top for signing. Nobody wants to work in an office anymore they want to roll out of bed and make what people make with a decade or more of experience make. Everyone wants get rich quick and easy LOL. And I'm in sales, so commissions are all on top of that to the tune of $100-200K. Kids out of college think they should earn $200-300K and work on their couch.
This isn’t just us being old fashioned. The younger generation think they deserve to make what someone 20 years ahead of them is making. They don’t understand that people have come before them and you have have to get in line.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-p ... asketball/

FWIW: This efficiency-based portal ranking has Lawrence ranked 10th and Jordan Wright at 21st. Have to figure that at least Ty is looking to cash in on NIL, and perhaps Wright, too (though for him, graduating and returning home to Baton Rouge: totally understandable!). Stute checks in at #86.

While the system takes SOS into consideration (which it 100% should, imo), VU target Anthony Dell-Orso is #324, while commit Evan Taylor isn’t on the board. I have to chuckle a bit at MFD’s Twitter take that VU fans shouldn’t be wringing their hands over the loss of Ty, and that Taylor is essentially a taller, higher-percentage shooter. Overly optimistic view.

The portal situation/roster flux sure seems dire.

(FYI, I’m not vouching for credibility of the source, just something I stumbled across.)
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I don't know- MFD has been right about a lot of things with this team and coaching staff. I'm going to use him as a lifeline for now. I need one.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:57 am
commadore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am Honestly, there is no difference in these athletes and everyone else in there generation. They want a job where they can work from home, start at $75 an hour, play with the cat and watch some tv during work hours. If someone pushes back, they quit and sit at home collecting their unemployment until they have to get another job. Same things the athletes are doing.
Post of the day. I think many of our players were OK with the hard work- or thought they were- but if an "easier" option- or lots more $$ presents itself, they are gone.
Honestly, this was an eye roll post for me (sorry commadore). People have been complaining about the lazy shiftless younger generation literally since the time of Aristotle (seriously, you can look it up and find the quotes from Aristotle).

Kids today want to work from home because, well, the technology today makes working from home something that many people can do. They want to start at a higher pay because, well, I don't want to get too political with the coffee shop still closed, but there is a perspective among some people where they feel like workers have been getting screwed over on pay for years/decades and they want what they see as fair ... and young people aren't the only ones who feel that way, they're just the ones that haven't been broken down and forced into playing the game yet.

They want to "play with the cat at home" during work hours because, well, let's just be honest, a good slice of the working world has spent the last 20 years playing solitaire or looking at ESPN.com (or things even less work appropriate) on their computers during work hours, and a good slice of the working world spent the 20 years before *that* gossiping at the water cooler instead of always being productive. The attitude isn't different, just the manifestation of it.

As relates to college sports ... everyone is different. If you'd rather be a star at Bowling Green than a bench player in the SEC that doesn't mean that you aren't willing to work hard ... it may mean that you *have* worked hard, which is how you got to the SEC in the first place and are now realizing that for what may well be the last year that you get to play basketball you might prefer to have a bigger role on a smaller stage. That's a reasonable choice. Another player might want to transfer to a better program where they'll have even less playing time, but have a chance to be in an elite 8 or beyond. Also a reasonable choice. Different people have different wants.

If the transfers are about NIL money then ... well, I can't blame them. Basketball is fun. Money is ... valuable. I think the system sucks as currently composed ... but the players are living in it. Can I honestly fault them for doing what's best for them at the expense of the long suffering VU fan? I really can't.

If it's about Stack riding guys too hard. Well, I can't blame them. Tough love is ... well, tough. That's not the attitude for everyone. And that's OK. As a fan, I admire Stack's passion. If I were a player on the team ... it might well be too much for me to handle. If my boss at work was as ... emphatic ... as I imagine Stack to be, well, yes I might consider looking for another job with a workplace environment more my style. And I wouldn't be alone, because people leave jobs to find a more compatible situation all the time. It's not a young kids these days thing, it's a people thing.

If you think it's a "kids these days" thing, you're kidding yourself. People have ALWAYS wanted to be respected, treated well, compensated well, and have wanted to look out for what is best for themselves and their families ... the only thing that has changed is the avenues of how to do it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

mathguy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm
Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:57 am
Honestly, this was an eye roll post for me (sorry commadore). People have been complaining about the lazy shiftless younger generation literally since the time of Aristotle (seriously, you can look it up and find the quotes from Aristotle).

Kids today want to work from home because, well, the technology today makes working from home something that many people can do. They want to start at a higher pay because, well, I don't want to get too political with the coffee shop still closed, but there is a perspective among some people where they feel like workers have been getting screwed over on pay for years/decades and they want what they see as fair ... and young people aren't the only ones who feel that way, they're just the ones that haven't been broken down and forced into playing the game yet.

They want to "play with the cat at home" during work hours because, well, let's just be honest, a good slice of the working world has spent the last 20 years playing solitaire or looking at ESPN.com (or things even less work appropriate) on their computers during work hours, and a good slice of the working world spent the 20 years before *that* gossiping at the water cooler instead of always being productive. The attitude isn't different, just the manifestation of it.

As relates to college sports ... everyone is different. If you'd rather be a star at Bowling Green than a bench player in the SEC that doesn't mean that you aren't willing to work hard ... it may mean that you *have* worked hard, which is how you got to the SEC in the first place and are now realizing that for what may well be the last year that you get to play basketball you might prefer to have a bigger role on a smaller stage. That's a reasonable choice. Another player might want to transfer to a better program where they'll have even less playing time, but have a chance to be in an elite 8 or beyond. Also a reasonable choice. Different people have different wants.

If the transfers are about NIL money then ... well, I can't blame them. Basketball is fun. Money is ... valuable. I think the system sucks as currently composed ... but the players are living in it. Can I honestly fault them for doing what's best for them at the expense of the long suffering VU fan? I really can't.

If it's about Stack riding guys too hard. Well, I can't blame them. Tough love is ... well, tough. That's not the attitude for everyone. And that's OK. As a fan, I admire Stack's passion. If I were a player on the team ... it might well be too much for me to handle. If my boss at work was as ... emphatic ... as I imagine Stack to be, well, yes I might consider looking for another job with a workplace environment more my style. And I wouldn't be alone, because people leave jobs to find a more compatible situation all the time. It's not a young kids these days thing, it's a people thing.

If you think it's a "kids these days" thing, you're kidding yourself. People have ALWAYS wanted to be respected, treated well, compensated well, and have wanted to look out for what is best for themselves and their families ... the only thing that has changed is the avenues of how to do it.
You know what they say. Opinions are like assholes: everyone has them. Not saying either is right or wrong, just that we believe differently.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I’m from that younger generation. It’s very entitled.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

What was Aristotle's take on NIL and the portal?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 pm

What was Aristotle's take on NIL and the portal?
"A portal to all is a portal to none."
Locked Previous topicNext topic