Vandy in the mix for Campbell transfer Anthony Dell'Orso

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Vandy in the mix for Campbell transfer Anthony Dell'Orso

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

He's Australian and started 22 games for the Camels this season as a freshman, and averaged 12.5 ppg on 48.7% shooting (and 32.2% from three).

He's also 6'6", which would make him the 16th player on next year's roster at that height. :?

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Vandy in the mix for Campbell transfer Anthony Dell'Orso

Post by Vandy187187 »

if that is the best we can do god help us.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:31 pm if that is the best we can do god help us.
Wake forest and Xavier are pretty strong programs…
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:54 pm He's Australian and started 22 games for the Camels this season as a freshman, and averaged 12.5 ppg on 48.7% shooting (and 32.2% from three).

He's also 6'6", which would make him the 16th player on next year's roster at that height. :?
This would be a really good get even though we have a number of players with his size. As a true freshmen he put up really nice numbers all the way around on offense, and garnered a ton of PT for Campbell.

To be fair, Campbell played a weak schedule, with the only D1 team they played being NCSU, which was his second game ever. But he was placed into the starting lineup in December and pretty much started the rest of the season, going over 20 points 5 times.

Dell'Orso shot the ball well from everywhere except from three, where he was just 32.5%, which isn't that bad, but not great. Inside the arc however, he shot 58%, which is very impressive for a non-post player. In addition, he got to the line over 100 times and made 83% of his FTA, which suggests that his three point percentage can improve to round out his already impressive offensive game. Outside of his shooting, he grabbed an impressive 21% of defensive rebounds despite being a slight 6'-6", 190 lb player. He didn't have a great assist rate and his TO rate was a little high, but given the amount of shots and possessions he used up in his playing time (almost 30 mpg) and considering he was a true freshman, these numbers are very impressive.

With Lawrence gone, I would say that getting him would have to be a priority, we need to have more scoring, and this guy would seem to fit the bill perfectly. There are risks that he struggles in the transition to the SEC, but his numbers are impressive. I hope we are able to land him.

It sucks that Lawrence left. And it stinks to have the team almost completely turned over. But this is exactly the type of player we should be going after in the portal. In my mind he and Turner are more likely to be productive next season than a true freshman like Rivera-Torres, Roberts or Presley. I think that at least one of the freshmen will be productive next season, but it is far more likely that Turner and (should we get him) Dell'Orso will be in the rotation or even starting. Production against D1 opponents, even at the mid and low major level is far more predictive than star ratings or highlight videos.

This doesn't curtail our need for a post player or two, but it would do a ton to close the gap created by Lawrence's departure.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Note that CJS is understanding that regardless of whether he likes the portal or NIL, he needs to be in the game. And he knows that he can get productive players from the portal who can come in and start immediately. He just can't rely on getting 1 per season and probably needs to grab 2 or 3 each year, which means that his recruiting and scouting is not just for HS freshmen but also for good players at all levels of D1.

Lots of people start their academic careers at a community college before going to a more prestigious university. There is no reason why basketball players can't do the same. Of the players who have graduated through the program over the last 4 seasons, most have been player who transferred to Vanderbilt (QMB, Robbins, Chatman, Ansong, and hopefully Manjon and technically QMB). While we are used to having players for 4 seasons and seeing them develop like Foster and Freije, we've also had a great tradition of impact transfers (McCaffery, Byars, Elder, etc.)

At this point I'll gladly take guys who are here for 2 or 3 seasons but want to finish their careers at Vanderbilt with a degree in hand. Give me more guys like Manjon and Robbins and let's be really active in the portal. Makes no sense to whine about the way things are and might as well take advantage of the way the landscape lays out.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:54 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:54 pm He's Australian and started 22 games for the Camels this season as a freshman, and averaged 12.5 ppg on 48.7% shooting (and 32.2% from three).

To be fair, Campbell played a weak schedule, with the only D1 team they played being NCSU, which was his second game ever.
I counted 32 games Campbell played vs D1 teams last season.

Do I need to list them all?
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

How's his kicking?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:34 pm

To be fair, Campbell played a weak schedule, with the only D1 team they played being NCSU, which was his second game ever.

He scored in double figures in 20 of those. Is a list needed?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:34 pm

I meant high major. But I think you understood what I meant from context.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Dear Lord another 6'6" guy" Seriously??
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

A few years ago Arkansas won a championship with a bunch of 6'4" guys. Why not with 6 '6"!
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

I will point out that 6’6” is arguably the perfect basketball height… think of the Chicago Bulls teams that started 4 6’6” guys and a center for multiple championships (Rodman, Harper, Jordan, Pippen, plus whoever)… I’m being a little tongue-in-cheek, but it really is the size that conceivably gives the ability to guard every position on the floor, rebound well, etc.

Give me a full roster of 6’6”-6’7” guys with the right skill sets and I’ll take it every day.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Well I guess we will win the SEC and be a final Four now with all these 6'6" players....grab a couple more!!!!
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

This guy played a ton of minutes as a freshman. He has good size. He can shoot and score. I don't care if he played for a smaller school last year. Go get him! Good luck Stack and co.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Labradore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 am I will point out that 6’6” is arguably the perfect basketball height… think of the Chicago Bulls teams that started 4 6’6” guys and a center for multiple championships (Rodman, Harper, Jordan, Pippen, plus whoever)… I’m being a little tongue-in-cheek, but it really is the size that conceivably gives the ability to guard every position on the floor, rebound well, etc.

Give me a full roster of 6’6”-6’7” guys with the right skill sets and I’ll take it every day.
Depends on who the 6'6" players are and how good they are. If we had a team with 5 Jordan Wrights starting we wouldn't have won a game and averaged 50 points a game.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Labradore wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:53 am I will point out that 6’6” is arguably the perfect basketball height… think of the Chicago Bulls teams that started 4 6’6” guys and a center for multiple championships (Rodman, Harper, Jordan, Pippen, plus whoever)… I’m being a little tongue-in-cheek, but it really is the size that conceivably gives the ability to guard every position on the floor, rebound well, etc.

Malcolm gladwell wrote about the statistical benefit of being 6’6” in his book Outliers. His research concluded that was the most significant height for a basketball player.
Silverbird73
Seaman

Post by Silverbird73 »

I love the idea of a team with multiple interchangeable parts. Not that we are equal in talent, but the 1988-89 Illinois team featuring Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, and Kendall Gill was composed of a bunch of 6’6” players that could match up with anybody. It may be my favorite college ream of all time. Versatility is key as well as buying into Stack’s system.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:35 am This guy played a ton of minutes as a freshman. He has good size. He can shoot and score. I don't care if he played for a smaller school last year. Go get him! Good luck Stack and co.
We never followed up after AJ Ogilvy (sp?) on getting more guys from Australia/New Zealand while St Mary's and Gonzaga constantly recruited that part of the world. We may have offered Dante Exum who iirc went straight pro with no college.

This might open up a (excuse the pun) "portal" to that part of the globe.

NBA players from Australia....
https://basketball.realgm.com/national/ ... ba_players
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I find it funny a year ago we were getting annoyed with all the 6’2-6’4 guards. We’re basically adding the same positions but with a few extra inches in height.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I am all for adding a 6'6" sophomore guard with that much upside and production at the college level already.
Locked Previous topicNext topic