I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandybrad
Commander

I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

Post by vandybrad »

After playing and coaching the greatest game ever invented, at 62 years old I absolutely despise the NCAA and what they have done to college basketball. This Transfer portal and NIL are the worst things ever and will be the destruction of college basketball. The only reason a kid should leave school before the end of their junior season may be because of a coaching change. And paying for play? They were already being paid in the form of scholarships. Flame me if you want but I don't care. My opinion and I'll stick by it.

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: I Absolutely Hate the Transfer Portal and the NIL

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I completely empathize with your perspective.
To be fair, though, the NCAA is doing what the judicial system mandated they do with regards to NIL for players. It was ruled that players deserved the opportunity to capitalize on their NIL, and I do see the argument there, to be sure. But I’m also with you that they were being compensated via scholarships and other benefits not afforded to the general student body. It’s a most unfortunate turn of events for “amateur” athletics played by “student” athletes.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I'm with you. I hate it.

During the Stallings years, there were a lot of fine young men who played for Vanderbilt for 4 years (or at least 3) who my son and I got to know at the games and basketball camps and such.

I've got photos of my son with Jeff Taylor, Lance Goulborne, Festus Ezeli and John Jenkins. One year I picked my son up at basketball camp and Steve Tcheingang told me that my son was pretty good, but needed to work on blocking out. One year for his birthday I gave my son a one-on-one basketball lesson with Shan Foster (this was after Shan left pro ball).

I'm not going to pretend that I know these former players well, because I don't.

But it was cool to know that they were coming back every year, and to have some CLUE who was playing for the team, and to have them know my son's name when they saw him (which they did!)

That's what college basketball used to be like. But the days of a school -- ANY SCHOOL -- building a community like that are DONE.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I know! We got to know these players and watch them develop over 4 years (or in the case of Josh, 10 years or so). I'm still in contact with Steve Tcheingang. It was nice to have Jordan Wright, and I thought we would have QMB for another year. Vanderbilt basketball got in my blood when I moved here in 2006 (I think my first season tickets were 2007), which isn't as long as many of you. I subsequently had a kid go through graduate school at Vandy, so I felt more connected. I really have enjoyed it, although there has been a lot of heartbreak, too.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Rooting for laundry, serial pickup games…..I’m looking for true north here. Help a brother out.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The implications are bad enough for Vandy.

But just as bad is that with the exception of the tournament, college basketball is on the verge of becoming a niche regional sport. Fans will still tune in to watch March Madness and the legacy national brands, but I doubt the sport will ever be as popular outside of March as it once was.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Get yours when you can. Screw loyalty. If you’re not first you’re last. Me. Me. Me. Me. It’s what it’s all about in today’s society. Those people would argue that’s what it’s always been but only for the select few in the upper class. And now it’s time for everyone to join in and get theirs.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I predicted when NIL money was first allowed that VU had to get busy with it or get leveled in the SEC. At the time, I was worrying more about it's impact on football than basketball, which we now know is not the case. It all seems to boil down to one fact: additional upfront cash is more valuable to some players than a VU degree. I hope someone Is reminding our players that the cost of their VU degree is worth nearly $300k and that the Vanderbilt name will open doors for them in the future.

I would certainly prefer going back to the old transfer rules, or at least make students ineligible for a semester after transferring. Schools invest a ton of money in these players and have absolutely no security in the process. I do agree with them being allowed to transfer if their coach leaves or for hardship reasons. Of course, the transfer element would have a lot less impact if we weren't he only SEC program with stringent admission standards.

Not a happy diagnosis for VU here....
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 am I predicted when NIL money was first allowed that VU had to get busy with it or get leveled in the SEC. At the time, I was worrying more about it's impact on football than basketball, which we now know is not the case. It all seems to boil down to one fact: additional upfront cash is more valuable to some players than a VU degree. I hope someone Is reminding our players that the cost of their VU degree is worth nearly $300k and that the Vanderbilt name will open doors for them in the future.

I would certainly prefer going back to the old transfer rules, or at least make students ineligible for a semester after transferring. Schools invest a ton of money in these players and have absolutely no security in the process. I do agree with them being allowed to transfer if their coach leaves or for hardship reasons. Of course, the transfer element would have a lot less impact if we weren't he only SEC program with stringent admission standards.

If a school hires a coach away from another school, there is usually a buyout of the existing contract required. Why shouldn't it be the same for a player in this new universe of NIL and undisguised professionalism ? If a player is leaving for an understandable reason ( e.g. ,low liklihood of PT or family challenges), the school could accept a token $1. If Ohio State wants a kid from KY, why shouldn't they have to reimburse UK for their expenses in supporting and developing that player.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

OldDude wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:48 pm
Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 am I predicted when NIL money was first allowed that VU had to get busy with it or get leveled in the SEC. At the time, I was worrying more about it's impact on football than basketball, which we now know is not the case. It all seems to boil down to one fact: additional upfront cash is more valuable to some players than a VU degree. I hope someone Is reminding our players that the cost of their VU degree is worth nearly $300k and that the Vanderbilt name will open doors for them in the future.

If a school hires a coach away from another school, there is usually a buyout of the existing contract required. Why shouldn't it be the same for a player in this new universe of NIL and undisguised professionalism ? If a player is leaving for an understandable reason ( e.g. ,low liklihood of PT or family challenges), the school could accept a token $1. If Ohio State wants a kid from KY, why shouldn't they have to reimburse UK for their expenses in supporting and developing that player.
I believe it’s because a scholarship is good for a year at a time. The NIL is all side money. Like an endorsement. The players have gained the upper hand in a way.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I hope that our school and others in the same boat, Northwestern, Duke etc. get together to figure out how to deal in this new world. I would think that these schools would have many of the same issues that we do (maybe not Duke hoops for historical reasons). Maybe it would only be a "geeze what can we do" conversation and nothing else, but sure seems its worth a try.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Take a look at the Colorado football program. More than 40 players have entered the portal since Deion Sanders took over a few months ago.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm Take a look at the Colorado football program. More than 40 players have entered the portal since Deion Sanders took over a few months ago.
Funny, I made a snide comment about Sanders hurting Colorado and was called everything but a.white.man. Now they are all talking about how he has ruined the.program.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Obvious wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:08 pm Take a look at the Colorado football program. More than 40 players have entered the portal since Deion Sanders took over a few months ago.
There are some pretty unflattering stories about Sander's staff from players who were told to transfer. Not a lot of care or regard given towards the student athletes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic