Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Post by dore74 »

Is this a rumor or is it out there on Twitter or another medium?

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Vandysmith wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:54 am We need three more players now, since Tyrin has left?
Yes. We will add West, Roberts, Lang, Rivera-Torres, Presley and Taylor as a transfer, and will still need to add 3 more players to fill up our scholarships unless we give scholarships to walkons. The only returning scholarship players at the moment are Manjon, Smith, Lewis and Dort. And Lewis and Dort combined to miss 32 games last season. That represents 27% of the total minutes played from 22-23. Last season it was 51%, even following the losses of Pippen and Chatman. The previous season it was 47% following the losses of Disu and Evans. Even after the disaster year of 2019 we returned almost 40% of the minutes in 2020.

We went very quickly from a team that looked like one that was poised to making the tournament to one that is in a major rebuild. CJS will need to pull a couple of portal rabbits out of his hat if we are to have any aspirations for making the tournament. These runs the last two seasons have been nice, but we obviously haven't made it over the hump.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

dore74 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:00 am Is this a rumor or is it out there on Twitter or another medium?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 145747007/

It may be a rumor, but it is being picked up by mainstream news outlets.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

dore74 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:00 am Is this a rumor or is it out there on Twitter or another medium?
Robbie Weinstein, Vandy's 247 Sports reporter, confirmed it yesterday.
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

Seems obvious to me that some colleges are gonna flood the NIL market w money and some aren’t. This is capitalism at its finest. I wouldn’t bet on Vanderbilt spending what it’ll take to be competitive. I’m gonna expect this every season from now until they reform this system a bit.

Even if there’s no tampering, all it takes is a player you think you’re better than getting a much more lucrative deal that your getting to push you into the portal.

Everyone’s a mercenary now.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

It wouldn’t surprise me if he went to Georgia. Close to home and unlimited athletic resources.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Do we have a man basketball visitor?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Maybe it’s just me, but all these academic juniors leaving one year shy of a VU degree just seems shortsighted. I know that to some extent the quality of a degree is limited by your career goals. If you don’t plan to continue in academia in pursuit of an advanced degree, then a degree from another SEC institution might benefit you in terms of a larger alumni network. But from a shear rankings standpoint, putting in 3 years at a top 15 college only to vacate that work with a year to go…
Oh well. What do I know?

Also: I’m holding out hope on the approximately 1% chance that Lawrence is simply leveraging the portal for a VU NIL deal. But I’m not holding my breath.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 am Maybe it’s just me, but all these academic juniors leaving one year shy of a VU degree just seems shortsighted. I know that to some extent the quality of a degree is limited by your career goals. If you don’t plan to continue in academia in pursuit of an advanced degree, then a degree from another SEC institution might benefit you in terms of a larger alumni network. But from a shear rankings standpoint, putting in 3 years at a top 15 college only to vacate that work with a year to go…
Oh well. What do I know?

Also: I’m holding out hope on the approximately 1% chance that Lawrence is simply leveraging the portal for a VU NIL deal. But I’m not holding my breath.
I agree with this about 80-85% of the way. But the one thing that sticks in my mind is if a kid can get $50K for an NIL deal at VU and he can get $300K (numbers completely made up) for an NIL deal somewhere else, that amount of money this early in life is substantial. You can go out and buy a house and pretty much create a self-funded pension forever. Combined with social security you'll never be an impoverished old person. I'm a personal finance junkie so I'm always thinking in those terms. But the impact of having that much money (invested wisely) that young can help you overcome a UGA vs. VU degree discrepancy.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 am Maybe it’s just me, but all these academic juniors leaving one year shy of a VU degree just seems shortsighted. I know that to some extent the quality of a degree is limited by your career goals. If you don’t plan to continue in academia in pursuit of an advanced degree, then a degree from another SEC institution might benefit you in terms of a larger alumni network. But from a shear rankings standpoint, putting in 3 years at a top 15 college only to vacate that work with a year to go…
Oh well. What do I know?

I asked about a month ago how hard the academics at VU are. Perhaps with an instant transfer the players are more inclined to go somewhere “easier”. Could be this plus money being offered.

Here’s another Stackhouse nba rumor to entertain some of you. Toronto fired their head coach which is where Stackhouse got his NBA start I believe. Or was it Memphis?
rEvUrB
Captain

Post by rEvUrB »

Obvious wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:23 pm
Oh well. What do I know?

I asked about a month ago how hard the academics at VU are. Perhaps with an instant transfer the players are more inclined to go somewhere “easier”. Could be this plus money being offered.

Here’s another Stackhouse nba rumor to entertain some of you. Toronto fired their head coach which is where Stackhouse got his NBA start I believe. Or was it Memphis?
Stackhouse started in Philly. You thinking of Vince Carter?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Obvious wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:23 pm
Oh well. What do I know?

Sorry about that. I meant to say his coaching start. Stack came to Vandy after coaching the raptors g league affiliate. So Toronto is familiar with his style. Of course there have been unconfirmed rumors that Stack was interested. I haven’t read anything credible yet. It’s so hard to know what’s going on with anything these days.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:22 pm
Oh well. What do I know?

I agree with this about 80-85% of the way. But the one thing that sticks in my mind is if a kid can get $50K for an NIL deal at VU and he can get $300K (numbers completely made up) for an NIL deal somewhere else, that amount of money this early in life is substantial. You can go out and buy a house and pretty much create a self-funded pension forever. Combined with social security you'll never be an impoverished old person. I'm a personal finance junkie so I'm always thinking in those terms. But the impact of having that much money (invested wisely) that young can help you overcome a UGA vs. VU degree discrepancy.
There is some merit to your argument about the money though it is hard to find much housing available for $300K in almost any large city. Also the IRS is going to take their share of that $300K. The place I really disagree is placing the slightest faith that youngsters this age are going to handle that money wisely especially to invest any significant portion.

I really would like to see Lawrence back but, even acknowledging my gold tinted glasses, I think he is making a mistake. At VU he will be central perhaps even top dog to the offense and be able to showcase and develop his skills in the eyes of NBA scouts. If he does go to GA he likely will be major player but no more visible than here; at more talented programs he could find himself just a trusted reserve. Having said this, I think you are probably right about NIL $.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I also think he is making a mistake- unless there is some serious $$ involved. Stackhouse gets some attention because, well, he's Jerry Stackhouse. As a result, our team and our players get noticed- more so if we are winning, of course. Tyrin would have been a huge fish in this pond.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

What are some dollar amounts that you all are hearing coming from the NIL?
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

This is certainly not most of the players, but there are several earning in the $500,000 a year range now. A few earn around 1 million, and at least one, maybe a couple more earn above that. I've tried to get a better feel for the "average" NIL deal for basketball, but so far I don't think there is enough information available to generate those #s. I'm sure many on here can find more than I have come up with.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I see that Bronnie James value is estimated up to 8 million off the NIL. Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers has made 1.4 million. I would assume incoming Arch Manning will make much more. This is bigger money than I thought. I don’t see Vanderbilt participating nearly as much as these other schools.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:50 pm It's hard to know who or what to blame. Heck, every one of these transfers could represent unique individual circumstances. Malik Dia and Noah Shelby obviously didn't leave for NIL opportunities at Belmont and Rice, respectively. Neither did QMB or Trey Thomas, and I kind of doubt Myles Stute left for bountiful NIL opportunities at South Carolina. Maybe Jordan Wright just wanted to be at home for his extra Covid year of eligibility.

We just don't know.

Regardless, my primary concern is that (a) we currently show little ability to retain players for a full four years (I still view Jordan Wright's departure as an aberration because of the extra Covid year, which will cease to be a factor in a year) and (b) I don't think we can compete for transfers nearly as well as we can for high school talent for a variety of reasons, including NIL and admissions policies. That doesn't mean I don't think players like Robbins, Manjon, and Evan Taylor aren't solid pickups. I just don't think we can field a whole team of them.
Yea I agree there could be good reasons (NIL, closer to home, different degree, etc...) for each and everyone. But maybe there is something else going on. All just speculation. But what we do know is we seem to hemorrhage core players every year. It is possible there is something going on with Stack that turns a lot of players off and that is driving this loss each year. But lets assume the players love him yet are leaving for better opportunity. Wouldn't that indicate we are recruiting the wrong type of players? If NIL is the main reason kids are leaving maybe we start recruiting kids where money isn't nearly as big of an issue. I'm sure we've all seen the stats on what percentage of high school kids think they are going to the NBA. If we are recruiting kids that are doing what they think is best for their NBA potential, maybe instead we should recruit kids that want the education first. I've said this in another thread but just because kids can transfer doesn't mean they have to. If they want the Vandy education, like the school, like the coach, etc... why leave? Sure focusing on kids that would stay 4 years could drastically shrink our recruiting pool, but I also think this could be a benefit longterm. As all our competitors are constantly turning over their roster year after year, if we continued to roll out an experienced team that has been playing in the same system for years, that would be a huge advantage, even if the raw talent of our players would be less. I think there are ways to adapt and build a good program even in this era. But it requires recruiting a different type of kid.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

fldore wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:09 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:50 pm It's hard to know who or what to blame. Heck, every one of these transfers could represent unique individual circumstances. Malik Dia and Noah Shelby obviously didn't leave for NIL opportunities at Belmont and Rice, respectively. Neither did QMB or Trey Thomas, and I kind of doubt Myles Stute left for bountiful NIL opportunities at South Carolina. Maybe Jordan Wright just wanted to be at home for his extra Covid year of eligibility.

We just don't know.

Regardless, my primary concern is that (a) we currently show little ability to retain players for a full four years (I still view Jordan Wright's departure as an aberration because of the extra Covid year, which will cease to be a factor in a year) and (b) I don't think we can compete for transfers nearly as well as we can for high school talent for a variety of reasons, including NIL and admissions policies. That doesn't mean I don't think players like Robbins, Manjon, and Evan Taylor aren't solid pickups. I just don't think we can field a whole team of them.
Yea I agree there could be good reasons (NIL, closer to home, different degree, etc...) for each and everyone. But maybe there is something else going on. All just speculation. But what we do know is we seem to hemorrhage core players every year. It is possible there is something going on with Stack that turns a lot of players off and that is driving this loss each year. But lets assume the players love him yet are leaving for better opportunity. Wouldn't that indicate we are recruiting the wrong type of players? If NIL is the main reason kids are leaving maybe we start recruiting kids where money isn't nearly as big of an issue. I'm sure we've all seen the stats on what percentage of high school kids think they are going to the NBA. If we are recruiting kids that are doing what they think is best for their NBA potential, maybe instead we should recruit kids that want the education first. I've said this in another thread but just because kids can transfer doesn't mean they have to. If they want the Vandy education, like the school, like the coach, etc... why leave? Sure focusing on kids that would stay 4 years could drastically shrink our recruiting pool, but I also think this could be a benefit longterm. As all our competitors are constantly turning over their roster year after year, if we continued to roll out an experienced team that has been playing in the same system for years, that would be a huge advantage, even if the raw talent of our players would be less. I think there are ways to adapt and build a good program even in this era. But it requires recruiting a different type of kid.
Even the Ivy League is losing guys to the portal. Maybe not even education can keep them in school. Maybe there is no answer.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Sadly, I believe MrMemorial is correct.
Locked Previous topicNext topic