Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence reportedly entering the transfer portal

Post by Vandy187187 »

This is comical. For all the "developing" and "strong relationships" sure seems like lots of key close players with major team roles leaving Stack this year.

shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:40 am Right now I am done with this team and Stack......something is wrong that Stack can't keep players. SOMETHING!!! I am sure I will feel different by Fall but so pissed right now.
It's called we are not up to par in the NIL world as some of these other programs, Clark Lea has a great culture and we lost a stud RB to Kentucky and have lost other players as well. In Basketball across the board the Portal/NIL hunting is worse for all programs. Stack has flaws but its also hard to blame him totally when he isn't playing with the same deck of cards as the rest of the league.
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

Team? It felt like a team to me I guess I was tricked by the sudden winning. ? It’s never going to feel the same to me now.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:40 am Right now I am done with this team and Stack......something is wrong that Stack can't keep players. SOMETHING!!! I am sure I will feel different by Fall but so pissed right now.
I'm mad about this, transfer portal has turn this into no fun if you have a new team each year, wondering what will happen, the fan should quiet going to the games.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

A little encouragement from MFD:

"Everybody needs to relax.. we lost a couple dudes who don’t play, two 6’5 power forwards, an engineer who played basketball on the side & got a better shooting Tyrin in the portal already… just let the roster fill out"
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:11 am A little encouragement from MFD:

"Everybody needs to relax.. we lost a couple dudes who don’t play, two 6’5 power forwards, an engineer who played basketball on the side & got a better shooting Tyrin in the portal already… just let the roster fill out"
I mean…all well and good I suppose. But Lawrence has proven he can compete against SEC talent. Last season he became a player who could almost single-handedly break down SEC defenses when needed on occasion. At this time, VU will not have a player like Ty next year. This is a huge, frustrating loss.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

OldDude wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:16 am This is most likely about the money
I see a few possibilities.

Option 1: It's all about the money. Other schools can potentially offer more NIL money than we can.

Option 2: It's about perception. Vandy has never been to a final 4. Vandy has not been to the elite 8 in over 50 years (thanks Jeff Green). Shoot. Vandy has not been to the sweet 16 in the memory of any current college basketball player (unless Josh Henderson got his extra year approved again). If the people don't think that we're a place they can win (and by extension, a place they can showcase for the pros, be it NBA or overseas) then ... well ... there are some athletes that won't want to be here.

And that kinda sucks.

I had completely assumed he would get some info from the NBA and come back. Apparently not.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:22 am
OldDude wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:16 am This is most likely about the money
I see a few possibilities.

Option 1: It's all about the money. Other schools can potentially offer more NIL money than we can.

Option 2: It's about perception. Vandy has never been to a final 4. Vandy has not been to the elite 8 in over 50 years (thanks Jeff Green). Shoot. Vandy has not been to the sweet 16 in the memory of any current college basketball player (unless Josh Henderson got his extra year approved again). If the people don't think that we're a place they can win (and by extension, a place they can showcase for the pros, be it NBA or overseas) then ... well ... there are some athletes that won't want to be here.

And that kinda sucks.

I had completely assumed he would get some info from the NBA and come back. Apparently not.
I see your points, but VU has been on a solid run of putting players in the NBA lately, and much of that seems due to Stackhouse and staff’s ability to develop players. Ty leaving is a kick in the teeth because he is largely the player he is today thanks to the time and resources devoted to him by this staff. Commitment in college athletics means next to nothing nowadays.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:34 am And the portal is still open for another three weeks. We may not be done yet.
At least it's not as bad as it could be, but it could get worse. Got it.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:11 am A little encouragement from MFD:

A better shooting Tyrin? — optimistic BS.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I think this is on Stack, too, but I also think NIL money has entered into the decision for some of our departures. Possibly grades, too.

If I am not mistaken, our basketball team has now had as many players to transfer out as has our football team. Lea is building a culture; Stack seems to be building an exit ramp.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I don't put it on Stack. I think it is a Vanderbilt issue- maybe just who we are. I also think basketball is very different from football in that it is easier to be showcased in your college game.
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Would be so interesting to know what Stack's conversations with these kids are like. I believe he truly does want what's best for them and their families and he's also (it seems) confident in his ability to coach and develop winners. It wouldn't surprise me if his attitude was, "I want you on this team, but you don't owe me anything. You need to go where you think you need to go. We're going to be fine regardless." Which, to a young person could be perceived as, "I guess Stack doesn't care one way or the other."

The potential NIL $$ at other schools just makes it that much easier.

Pure speculation!
got moxie?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 am Well, the hell with them all. They don't want us, then don't let the door hit you on the way out. I am sick of these spoiled kids who make a commitment and then drop their school and team like a hot potato.

College sports is quickly headed, for me at least, the way of the NBA, NFL, and MLB. Lots more to do in life than fret over these losers.
I don't like it, but Lawrence does not have independent means and he has a child to support. If someone offered him six figure NIL money he'd almost be irresponsible not to take it.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Big money for athletes and VU are not a good match. Could be the end of schools like ours competing in big time college sports if that is what the model is (very quickly) evolving to. From what I've read in other posts and elsewhere, it does seem that that players like Tyrin get approached by other team's coaches or surrogates a fair amount

For kids from families with limited means the NILs may be their only way to an assured big pay day. For instance, how much can Tyrin count on making in the pros (NBA or otherwise) so a large NIL could have real importance for him. I absolutely respect the kids doing what they need to do. Fair is fair and they are the major, major reason college sports is such a big business.

For fans at schools like ours, however, the future is becoming bleak. We may be closer to the Magnolia League or something like it than we think.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

I felt a bit odd having the conversation my family had with his family. I would of never asked what my mom asked about is Tyrin going in the Portal. I think she was trying to navigate this new world, and trying to be a bit funny. I wished she wouldn't of asked it, but the family was very nice and quickly pointed out there would not be any discussion about the Portal. They loved Coach Stack, and Vandy, and they wanted him to graduate.

I realize it would of been really weird for them to say, well he is hoping to go pro most of all, but still leaving the portal open as an option. I guess it was just one of those moments if you weren't there, it might be more difficult to understand. I'm pretty good at reading people, and the way my mom asked this caught me off guard, so I can only imagine how much more it caught his family off guard. Then again, maybe that was the correct answer that day, but things have changed since this time...

NIL, Stack, Vanderbilt, tampering ? Maybe some of all of these are the answer to what is happening. I sure do understand the feeling of frustration from a fan base that feels oftentimes we can't catch a break.

Without making this about the wrong thing, I heard a discussion more in general about the future of the NCAA recently. The consensus of the group was that what little power the NCAA is hanging onto, it is probably not going to last much longer. The NCAA seems to know that whenever the Power 5 Commissioners decide to work together, some version of the Power 5 is going to move out on their own. I've heard this conversation for a few years now, but the last point they made was it is no longer "if", but "when"!
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandy187187 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 am This is comical. For all the "developing" and "strong relationships" sure seems like lots of key close players with major team roles leaving Stack this year.
And his top assistant coach
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Obvious wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:10 pm
Vandy187187 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 am This is comical. For all the "developing" and "strong relationships" sure seems like lots of key close players with major team roles leaving Stack this year.
And his top assistant coach
Yeah...nothing to see here. People are running away from this program like the gym is on fire.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Excuse me, who the hell is MFD?
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

MFD=Mathew Fisher Davis. I find his tweets interesting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic