Does this mean the season is over?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Does this mean the season is over?

Post by historybill »

Only a week ago, VU beat #6 South Carolina, solidifying its number 4 ranking.

Since that time they've lost 4 games, 3 of them in humiliating fashion, and all of them to teams that were unranked at the time.

(I'm making the brave assumption that they won't overcome the 9-0 deficit.)

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in college or pro sports. I've seen a lot of humiliating Vanderbilt sporting events over the years -- especially in football -- but I don't think I've ever seen a "highly ranked" Vanderbilt team do anything like this.

I wonder if this means that this team will pack it in for the season.

What do you all think?

vutrain
Commander

Re: Does this mean the season is over?

Post by vutrain »

historybill wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:38 pm Only a week ago, VU beat #6 South Carolina, solidifying its number 4 ranking.

Since that time they've lost 4 games, 3 of them in humiliating fashion, and all of them to teams that were unranked at the time.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in college or pro sports. I've seen a lot of humiliating Vanderbilt sporting events over the years -- especially in football -- but I don't think I've ever seen a "highly ranked" Vanderbilt team do anything like this.

What do you all think?
Well, we have always known this team was not a hitting powerhouse and the only real advantage we would have would be from the pitching side of the game. We have been lucky (like last weekend against SC) that we have been able to bring enough to the hitting side of the equation to overcome in a number of games. Unfortunately, we had those days like a week ago Friday and yesterday when nothing came together. utt's pitching staff had shown a deficiency in our hitting ability. Too many times we have left men on base. Too many times there has been a chink in our pitching and there was not enough offense to overcome.
We also may have put too much faith that a couple of early non-conference wins and getting Miss. Miss St and Ga. as early conference opponents gave us a sense of bravado we might not have needed to lean on.
Oh, and I hate utt and Tony Vitello especially his nasty attitude filtered down. Look at the Moore incident and the running of the mouth by Burk from yesterday.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

historybill wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:38 pm Only a week ago, VU beat #6 South Carolina, solidifying its number 4 ranking.

What do you all think?
There is time to recover and start playing well again. I think this is likely, particularly if Hunter Owen can return and perform the way he did in the first half of the season. Bradfield's at bats in Knoxville were an aberration, similar to his first five game in which his batting average was below .100.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I know Corbin is well aware of his teams shortcomings , but he and the staff have to be shellshocked at what’s happened this weekend. I’ve rarely seen a Corbin coached team get dismantled like this weekend. But the sad part is that this has now happened 3 times in the last 12 months. UT and LSU last year and now this weekend.
Something has changed in the past two years to cause this.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

As John Blutarsky said: “It’s not over until WE say it’s over”. He was right, except for the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor thing. Our national seed chances, however, have taken a massive blow.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

To be honest, statistically it's hard to see where our strengths are on offense.

In the 14 team league, Vanderbilt is 12th in batting average, 11th in slugging percentage, 10th in on-base percentage, 9th in hits and 12th in home runs.

However, we are number one in opposing batting average... or at least we were heading into today's debacle.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Are we recruiting with a focus on hitters and /or has hitting coaching slipped ? truly would like to hear from those with more knowledge.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

OP was "will we pack it in?"The answer is NO.
However, UK and exams coming up, but I expect us to flush this whole week and come out and scratch out a bunch of wins. This is a good team.
KudzuLeague
Captain

Post by KudzuLeague »

We've probably been overachieving and then suddenly underachieved against our hated in-state rival. It's not great at all, but it changes little about the season. Can't believe you would post such a stupid thread title. What a hyper-emotional child.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

It has been a long time since I was this disappointed with this team AND Coach....Team for mailing in their bats with a grand total of 9 runs in 3 games. Coach for not making adequate adjustments. After scoring a grand total of 4 runs in 1st 2 games, CTC makes the pivotal alignment change to put Polk at #2 and dropping Dia down to #8. How about a wholesale change:

1) EB
2) Polk
3) Maldonado
4) Schreck
5) JV
6) Austin
7) Bulger
8) Noland
9) Dia

A change certainly could not hurt this offensive production!
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

One thing that i heard the tv guy say was when Cunningham was pitching that he had walked four and hit one before the bull pen had even got up to catch the next guy up. This is this coaching staff way of doing things. Its like less give him one more batter,he might come back.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

It was a bad weekend on hostile territory where the home team has been dominant this year and had their backs against the wall after losing 4 straight games. Our guys have lost 4 in a row now also and how they respond this week will be a better indicator of how good they are as opposed to gauging by an isolated week mid schedule.
Locked Previous topicNext topic