Vandy-Tennessee game 2

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

blackgold61
Lieutenant

Re: Vandy-Tennessee game 2

Post by blackgold61 »

I missed it. What did Moore do?

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

blackgold61 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:34 pm I missed it. What did Moore do?
Moore rushed from his position in right field (I think) and yelling went chest to chest with our player standing on first: umpire had to separate him. Moore will say he was justified because our player returning to first base did push the first basement so he could safely get back to the bag. However, Moore ran in about 20 yards screaming etc at our guy who stood like a statue. They tossed Moore which elicited the predictable response from Vitello who threw his own tantrum while the fans went wild. The VU players stayed in their dugout and Corbin was stoic at third base probably wondering how in the world we lose to these thugs. So that's the way I saw it - others may want to comment, but Moore won't play tomorrow by rule, I believe.
Our radio announcer, Andrew, said, : "and this is why I am glad I am employed by Vanderbilt and not Tennessee." As it all unfolded it was clear that there are 2 different cultures on display and I am proud to be a fan of Vanderbilt, too. Andrew also wondered aloud on the radio: "why would they want to do this to fire up VU?" Remember the end of the men's basketball game with Arkansas: this was a good bit like that. There will not be a Vanderbilt player who doesn't want to make a statement with good play tomorrow...
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:20 pm
blackgold61 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:34 pm I missed it. What did Moore do?
Moore rushed from his position in right field (I think) and yelling went chest to chest with our player standing on first: umpire had to separate him. Moore will say he was justified because our player returning to first base did push the first basement so he could safely get back to the bag. However, Moore ran in about 20 yards screaming etc at our guy who stood like a statue. They tossed Moore which elicited the predictable response from Vitello who threw his own tantrum while the fans went wild. The VU players stayed in their dugout and Corbin was stoic at third base probably wondering how in the world we lose to these thugs. So that's the way I saw it - others may want to comment, but Moore won't play tomorrow by rule, I believe.
Our radio announcer, Andrew, said, : "and this is why I am glad I am employed by Vanderbilt and not Tennessee." As it all unfolded it was clear that there are 2 different cultures on display and I am proud to be a fan of Vanderbilt, too. Andrew also wondered aloud on the radio: "why would they want to do this to fire up VU?" Remember the end of the men's basketball game with Arkansas: this was a good bit like that. There will not be a Vanderbilt player who doesn't want to make a statement with good play tomorrow...
Thanks for the explanation, I missed the game too.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Moore plays 2nd base and was trying to field a pop-up in short right field. Troy LaNeve was on first when McKenzie hit the fly ball and LaNeve was between 1st and 2nd …. He was running back to first when the ball was caught. ut’s pitcher was covering 1st and LaNeve’s momentum caused him to bump into the pitcher who was standing on first base. That was when Moore charged him from short right field….totally unnecessary as there was obviously no harm intended. Even Vitello said it was the wrong thing to do.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

And Moore nearly clipped the ump while flailing his arms!

Earlier, UT batter sticks his arm in front of a pitch.

Before that, Maui kept turning his butt into a pitch trying to get hit.

Yesterday a batter-runner punched at the ball in Parker Noland’s glove. Thought that deserved an ejection.

UThugs is an accurate term.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

What did Moore do?

I turned it off in the 5th….
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

roanoke wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:25 pm What did Moore do?

Ndorefin has the straight account.

The longer, earlier post has a lot of extraneous comment that rockets past the normal spectrum of rivalry hatred and into the realm of the pathological.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

And here's the Gentry Estes version in the Tennessean:

UT sophomore Christian Moore was ejected in the game’s final moments when he ran over and confronted Vanderbilt base-runner Troy LaNeve. In returning to first base to avoid a double play, LaNeve ran into Vols pitcher Chase Dollander, who was covering the base.
Moore’s ejection meant that he’ll miss Sunday’s game. Vitello argued it with umpires on the field, but he took a more conciliatory tone after the game.
“There was contact (with LaNeve and Dollander),” Vitello said. “It wasn't incidental, but it was two guys playing baseball, man. I'll acknowledge the fact that C-Mo has got a lot of passion. I'd rather have guys with passion than without. And also will acknowledge the fact that he's got his teammate's back. I think that was the intent of what he was doing.
“But I also think the situation — with all due respect to the team we played — (with) the scoreboard, it wasn't necessary.”
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

FayetteDore wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:44 pm

The longer, earlier post has a lot of extraneous comment that rockets past the normal spectrum of rivalry hatred and into the realm of the pathological.
Pathological? This is a sports site, right,?
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:56 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:44 pm

Pathological?
This is a sports site, right,?
Fortunately, for most of us it is. But defending the indefensible (UUT baseball team) sometimes leads to ad hominem attacks.
Last edited by nyyankeeDore on Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

four game suspension. On the post game interview on tv, Vitello made it our that LaNeve is a hulk and his pitcher was pushed. Dollander was unintentionally blocking the base path side of the first base in covering the base, impending LaNeve access to return to bag. Complete overreaction by UT player
Locked Previous topicNext topic