2023 SF Malik Presley to announce decision Friday

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

2023 SF Malik Presley to announce decision Friday

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vanderbilt is considered the frontrunner for the 3-star prospect from Texas.

https://247sports.com/player/malik-presley-46103342/

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2023 SF Malik Presley to announce decision Friday

If he signs with Vandy, he would be the third player in this class in the swingman size range (6-6/6-7). (Not saying their games are all alike, however.)
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:49 pm If he signs with Vandy, he would be the third player in this class in the swingman size range (6-6/6-7). (Not saying their games are all alike, however.)
To save others time, his offer list includes:

Arizona State
TCU
Texas
Houston
LSU
Okie St.
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SMU
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

How big a class would this group be, seems pretty large--especially these days. Hopefully these guys will quickly get the system, the right guys can be difference makers from the get go.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If we get him won't this kick our class into the top 15?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

dore74 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:16 pm How big a class would this group be, seems pretty large--especially these days. Hopefully these guys will quickly get the system, the right guys can be difference makers from the get go.
Presley would be the fifth freshman in this class.

Assuming Lawrence returns (and no one else leaves), we would still have three scholarship positions open.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

VU will be quite young next year, it appears.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Was he not a top fifty player before he got hurt?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Surprised we are looking at yet another frosh as opposed to the portal. Though I suppose with all the guys that left, we can take these extra 2 frosh and still have room for 2 or 3 portal guys ... who will be upperclassmen ... and probably more ready to immediately contribute ... making some of next years frosh wonder if they should transfer ... wash ... rinse ... repeat.

God I hate the portal.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:09 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:49 pm If he signs with Vandy, he would be the third player in this class in the swingman size range (6-6/6-7). (Not saying their games are all alike, however.)

Arizona State
TCU
Texas
Houston
LSU
Okie St.
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SMU
Great list of offers! Let's hope he Anchors Down!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I like having a big incoming class at this point. We need one of those. A new broom sweeps clean, they say.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

If Presley signs, this class would be a pretty solid 5-man, small-ball core to build around for the future. Of course, that assumes you can get them to stay. Which seems increasingly difficult and unlikely. Wishful thinking, though.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Arizona State
TCU
Texas
Houston
LSU
Okie St.
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SMU
Thanks for this. I really place more value on offer list (opinion of other good coaches) than the journalists' "star" system.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I like this guy, but all I want is guards, real guards. Lots of them. If you feel like you can grab guards in the portal easily, then fine. If the idea is to teach swingman as freshmen something, then whatever works. At this point, I have to hope Stack sees what most see about roster management. Just may have a different way of doing it.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

His film reminds me of the 6-7 guard out of Lebanon TN that signed with Tulsa over some bigger names. Can't recall the kids name.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I think you are referring to Jarred Hall from Lebanon. I have always liked the name Malik as it seems like yesterday Malik Evans was suiting up for the Dores (95-96' actually). I recall he had a pretty good senior year and one exceptional game against LSU (I think) where he scored 30.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

buffy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:26 pm I like this guy, but all I want is guards, real guards. Lots of them. If you feel like you can grab guards in the portal easily, then fine. If the idea is to teach swingman as freshmen something, then whatever works. At this point, I have to hope Stack sees what most see about roster management. Just may have a different way of doing it.
West and Rivera-Torres in this class are both capable guards. I’d wager Stack knows Ty Lawrence’s plan for next year (most of us suspect he is returning). Manjon and Lewis will be back, barring anything unexpected. VU should be in decent shape at 1/2 and 3 spots next year.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:05 pm
buffy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:26 pm I like this guy, but all I want is guards, real guards. Lots of them. If you feel like you can grab guards in the portal easily, then fine. If the idea is to teach swingman as freshmen something, then whatever works. At this point, I have to hope Stack sees what most see about roster management. Just may have a different way of doing it.
West and Rivera-Torres in this class are both capable guards. I’d wager Stack knows Ty Lawrence’s plan for next year (most of us suspect he is returning). Manjon and Lewis will be back, barring anything unexpected. VU should be in decent shape at 1/2 and 3 spots next year.
Looks like we are replacing two wing players by adding two wing players to the freshmen class. I’m pretty content with our guards. Lawrence* and Manjon make up an excellent back court and I’m excited to see Paul Lewis next season. The biggest role to fill is a post player and preferably one with college experience.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Arizona State
TCU
Texas
Houston
LSU
Okie St.
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SMU
I too, love this offer list. I value the list of offers over the star system.

MM, from where you got this list (not sure your source) do you believe it is credible?

Didn't we once get a commit from an extremely highly rated (like high 4 or 5) recruit that had only a few offers from lower P5 and mid major programs, and he really didn't amount to much? I think it was under the clapper, but I could be wrong.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Arizona State
TCU
Texas
Houston
LSU
Okie St.
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
SMU
I too, love this offer list. I value the list of offers over the star system.

MM, from where you got this list (not sure your source) do you believe it is credible?

Didn't we once get a commit from an extremely highly rated (like high 4 or 5) recruit that had only a few offers from lower P5 and mid major programs, and he really didn't amount to much? I think it was under the clapper, but I could be wrong.
Pretty sure you mean Simi Shittu. He had plenty of offers, though in hindsight there are some notable schools on that list that reportedly did not extend an official scholarship offer.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Simis ... Interests/
Locked Previous topicNext topic