Update on Pistons' job search from ESPN's Woj

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Update on Pistons' job search from ESPN's Woj

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

FWIW

Michidore
Ensign

Re: Update on Pistons' job search from ESPN's Woj

Post by Michidore »

Here’s a recent article from the Detroit News:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 116037007/

It includes the following:
Pistons great Jerry Stackhouse, who currently coaches at Vanderbilt, dismissed the speculation that he was interested in the Pistons' coaching job on Thursday after responding to a fan that pleaded with him to remain at the university.

One important note, the Pistons were owned by Bill Davidson when they won all of their NBA championships. Mr. Davidson was the owner when Stack played for them. After Mr Davidson passed away, his heirs sold the team. Under the current ownership, the team has been less successful. They haven’t won a playoff game since 2008. The team doesn’t get a lot of attention locally. So the franchise is currently quite different than it once was. That would likely be a consideration for anyone considering becoming the head coach.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I think that much of the publicity of Stack being interested in the Detroit job has been writers having time on their hands, nothing to do. So, why not call attention to themselves by writing something sensational. It happens all of the time, in sports and elsewhere. It seems logical. Stack return to Detroit where he was a hero. The Detroit fans will love it. Of course, reality sets in. From all indications Detroit is looking at several assistant NBA coaches. We will never know as to whether Stack was even contacted to see his interest.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I'll also note, and this is important, Stack has shown zero awareness of optics in his tenure. His lack of a response just means there's nothing for him to say. Understanding the optics game is a great skill, but Stackhouse's obliviousness to it is actually refreshing. He's a straight shooter.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

buffy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:09 am I'll also note, and this is important, Stack has shown zero awareness of optics in his tenure. His lack of a response just means there's nothing for him to say. Understanding the optics game is a great skill, but Stackhouse's obliviousness to it is actually refreshing. He's a straight shooter.
I hear you and I also like this about Stack - but sometimes optics matter.
I would be astonished if the Pistons rumor wasn't used in recruiting/transfer shenanigans.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

alathIN wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:16 pm
buffy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:09 am I'll also note, and this is important, Stack has shown zero awareness of optics in his tenure. His lack of a response just means there's nothing for him to say. Understanding the optics game is a great skill, but Stackhouse's obliviousness to it is actually refreshing. He's a straight shooter.
I hear you and I also like this about Stack - but sometimes optics matter.
I would be astonished if the Pistons rumor wasn't used in recruiting/transfer shenanigans.
I'm confident it was, like you. There's just not much we can do about it. The portal isn't done, so we'll see.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Another factor to consider in this situation is that he assembled quite a staff after taking this job. How many of them would be hung out to dry if he left? Most of them accompanied him to VU because they believed in him and if he left, would all of them have jobs elsewhere? This is his posse and I doubt they would be happy being left out on a limb and I believe he has more consideration for their well being….let’s hope!!! AD*
Locked Previous topicNext topic