Jason Rivera-Torres commits to Vandy

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Jason Rivera-Torres commits to Vandy

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Obvious
Captain

Re: Jason Rivera-Torres to announce tomorrow

Post by Obvious »

I actually appreciate this kid taking his time. Maybe he’s thinking beyond where to go to school for one year.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Obvious wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:41 pm I actually appreciate this kid taking his time. Maybe he’s thinking beyond where to go to school for one year.
I liked the interview where he said he wanted to go where he could stay for four years.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

We need a guy with a really long name like Matthew Fisher Davis or Quentin Millora Brown.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Mentioned this in the previous topic on Rivera-Torres: I have a good feeling about this one. It hasn’t been updated in quite some time, but VU is the only school listed as “Warm” on his 247 page. This kid seems like a solid player judging from stats, film, recruiting analyst opinions, and length for his position. It’s quite possible the vacancies at guard due to the unanticipated transfer of Thomas and expected departure of Shelby are a result of knowing they’ll be buried behind incoming players.
Here’s hoping we hear some good news tomorrow!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:57 pm Mentioned this in the previous topic on Rivera-Torres: I have a good feeling about this one. It hasn’t been updated in quite some time, but VU is the only school listed as “Warm” on his 247 page. This kid seems like a solid player judging from stats, film, recruiting analyst opinions, and length for his position. It’s quite possible the vacancies at guard due to the unanticipated transfer of Thomas and expected departure of Shelby are a result of knowing they’ll be buried behind incoming players.
A 6-6 guard who can shoot the ball? What's not to like?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:49 pm We need a guy with a really long name like Matthew Fisher Davis or Quentin Millora Brown.
Or David Przbyzyzewszybysbzski?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:59 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:57 pm Mentioned this in the previous topic on Rivera-Torres: I have a good feeling about this one. It hasn’t been updated in quite some time, but VU is the only school listed as “Warm” on his 247 page. This kid seems like a solid player judging from stats, film, recruiting analyst opinions, and length for his position. It’s quite possible the vacancies at guard due to the unanticipated transfer of Thomas and expected departure of Shelby are a result of knowing they’ll be buried behind incoming players.
Well, we did have a 6'-2" guard who could shoot the ball and that didn't turn out quite so well. I'd lower your expectations based on what happened last year. Great if he comes, but if we get anything from him immediately I'll be pleasently surprised. Of the 5 freshmen we had last season we got immediate contributions from one of them, rotation minutes from a second, and the rest didn't really get consistent PT, and two have already left the program. Past history suggests that at least one of the incoming freshmen will not make it to their sophomore year.

This kid could be something, but where CJS has really made hay is with his transfers. Robbins, Chatman and Manjon in the last two seasons have been not only starters, but in the case of Robbins and Manjon, All-SEC type players. Even the afterthought players like Mann and Ansong at least were in the rotation.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:03 am
Well, we did have a 6'-2" guard who could shoot the ball and that didn't turn out quite so well. I'd lower your expectations based on what happened last year. Great if he comes, but if we get anything from him immediately I'll be pleasently surprised. Of the 5 freshmen we had last season we got immediate contributions from one of them, rotation minutes from a second, and the rest didn't really get consistent PT, and two have already left the program. Past history suggests that at least one of the incoming freshmen will not make it to their sophomore year.

This kid could be something, but where CJS has really made hay is with his transfers. Robbins, Chatman and Manjon in the last two seasons have been not only starters, but in the case of Robbins and Manjon, All-SEC type players. Even the afterthought players like Mann and Ansong at least were in the rotation.
No, he's the next Jerry West. The NBA will replace the current logo with one of Rivera-Torres.

{sarcasm alert}

(then again West never hit a single 3-pointer)
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Thank you for the wonderful news!
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

YES!!!!!
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Welcome aboard Jason!!! You will not regret the decision you have made!!!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Rivera-Torres is also an actor in the Apple TV show "Swagger": https://www.imdb.com/name/nm13078059/

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2023 ... and-court/
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

WELCOME aboard - he has to reruit his coach now.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:24 am
Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:03 am

No, he's the next Jerry West. The NBA will replace the current logo with one of Rivera-Torres.

{sarcasm alert}

Appreciate the alert, sometimes it is hard to tell, since you were comparing Dia to Obi Toppin and Kyle Anderson at this time last year. I'm glad he's joined us as it shows that CJS is doing work for the program and not distracted by the rumors, but am not expecting the next Shan Foster (though I would be ecstatic if he turned out to be something like that). CJS does appear to run pretty complex schemes that some players who are new to the college game can take time to learn. Those who catch on more quickly (like Smith) can thrive, but not eveyone can, despite being very highly rated coming in (like Shelby). This is perhaps why transfers have had more immediate success in CJS' system than true freshmen.
(then again West never hit a single 3-pointer)
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Jason Rivera-Torres commits to Vandy

Post by Ndorefin »

The most impressive fact about this young man is that he grew from 6’6” at the beginning of the article to 6’7” at the end. He must have noticed we need help in the post….maybe he’ll be 6’11” when he reaches campus!!
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Great news. Welcome aboard
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Awesome news!
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Ndorefin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:28 am The most impressive fact about this young man is that he grew from 6’6” at the beginning of the article to 6’7” at the end. He must have noticed we need help in the post….maybe he’ll be 6’11” when he reaches campus!!
Ha! Now that’s funny.
Locked Previous topicNext topic