No BJ Mack, but maybe Isaac Jack

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

No BJ Mack, but maybe Isaac Jack

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

[tweet][/tweet]

Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Re: No BJ Mack, but maybe Isaac Jack

Post by Vandysmith »

It a started from freshman to sophomore and he 6' 11" .
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I saw him play in person. Don't think he is really 6-11. Maybe 6-9 but still plenty tall for the 4 spot.

Had foul trouble the night I saw him. 4 points in 10 minutes...but 4 fouls in that same 10 minutes.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:55 am [tweet][/tweet]
Ironically, his statistical profile is quite similar to QMB. Low usage, good offensive rebounder but below average on the defensive glass, ok shot blocker, high percentage inside but poor FT shooter with no three point attempts. This is not bad, but it also isn't likely another Robbins.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:49 pm
Ironically, his statistical profile is quite similar to QMB. Low usage, good offensive rebounder but below average on the defensive glass, ok shot blocker, high percentage inside but poor FT shooter with no three point attempts. This is not bad, but it also isn't likely another Robbins.
Again, we are in agreement. :o :shock:

He would do for depth at forward. Yes, he's REALLY REALLY not Robbins.

Being Canadian, his offer list was not huge. Cal-Santa Barbara was the other U.S. D-1 offer iirc.

UCSB was 27-8 last season and went to the dance.

He did have 13 points in 24 minutes vs a very good WVU team. He's an unfinished project but has potential.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

We currently have a vacant Canadian roster spot with the departure of Trey Thomas...
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:19 pm

Being Canadian, his offer list was not huge. Cal-Santa Barbara was the other U.S. D-1 offer iirc.

He did have 13 points in 24 minutes vs a very good WVU team. He's an unfinished project but has potential.
Yup - I would expect that he will have a bit of a struggle in his first year in the SEC should he come here, and then be better in his second year. I've not seen him play at all so have no idea what kind of game he has, but you cannot teach 6'-11". At the same time, I think that CJS is underselling the university and himself. He could probably land a higher ceiling player.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Personally, I take a hard pass on Mr. Jack.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:33 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:19 pm

Yup - I would expect that he will have a bit of a struggle in his first year in the SEC should he come here, and then be better in his second year. I've not seen him play at all so have no idea what kind of game he has, but you cannot teach 6'-11". At the same time, I think that CJS is underselling the university and himself. He could probably land a higher ceiling player.
Again, unless he grew since 2 months ago, I am not convinced he is 6-11. Again, I think he has potential to be a contributing role player. Maybe. As far as what we can or can't get from the portal, the image and reputation of the state we reside in took a hit recently. Bad timing on that, but unlike the previous coach who would whine about that and use it as an excuse, the current (much tougher) coach continues his work undeterred.
Last edited by MrMemorial on Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I haven’t scouted anyone in the portal. I don’t know what schemes they fit in, what strengths they might have. I reserve judgement. I’m not recruiting anyone and I’ll allow the staff to use their best judgment. Luckily I don’t have the power to pass on anyone. Players prove others wrong every year. We have a lot of openings and I’ll be satisfied if we hit on half of them. 50% success in the portal would be very good. We have 7-8 players on next years team and 5 or 6 of them will play significant minutes. So if 2 out of the 4/5 transfers are good players I think we will be just fine.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I agree, to me a hard pass. Tough these days to take on projects. We can do better hopefully. We need a center with at least the hope of scoring.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

I believe we have also reached out to Will Shaver - a UNC big man for whatever that’s worth. It came up because UVA evidently wants him too….
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Hopefully we’ll hear some good news on this front soon. It is disappointing to see our lack of success compared to a lot of other schools, Michigan just picked up its third high quality transfer.

I am a Stack supporter and he’s done a good job with transfers in the past. Nevertheless, given our guys in the portal and our lack of success thus far, I am getting a bit concerned. Here’s hoping.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:49 pm I agree, to me a hard pass. Tough these days to take on projects. We can do better hopefully. We need a center with at least the hope of scoring.
I'm going to assume that I'm the only person who posts here that saw the kid play in person. And that was around 7 weeks ago. Still don't think he's 6-11 and think if he does go to a bigger program, playing forward is in his future. Really don't see him as an SEC center. Not sure what kind of competition he faced growing up in Port Alberni, British Columbia...but probably not exactly what he would have faced growing up in....oh...let's say Memphis or Atlanta.

Yet he does seem like a good athlete and with the right coaching, could be something. Like an SEC role player.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Looks like he will be visiting campus soon:

[tweet][/tweet]
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

VU is pretty much the highest caliber of the suitors. Hopefully he’s viewed as a backup plan or is merely way undervalued. I suspect part of the issue is who VU is capable of attracting and admitting.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I saw him on a night to forget.... 4 pts / 4 fouls in 10 minutes. Even so I would be Ok with giving him a chance based on potential and raw athletic ability. Please folks... don't have a hissy fit if he joins the good guys.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

There been some night when some of our best players didn't have very good nights. So don't judge to hard on these players.Everyoe has one those...
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Gold tinted optimism here, but maybe as a freshman from Hockeyland he has some untapped potential?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Will Perdue's freshman stats were no better.
Locked Previous topicNext topic