Trey Thomas in the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Trey Thomas in the portal

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Didn't see that one coming. Makes the Noah Shelby transfer all the more puzzling.

We now have 4 open slots, maybe 5 with Lawrence (hoping that's not the case). Looking like it'll be a vastly different team next year. I'm optimistic but we gotta nail it in the portal.

baseball1234
Commander

Re: Trey Thomas in the portal

Post by baseball1234 »

Let's call it what it is. Dumpster Fire.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:17 am Let's call it what it is. Dumpster Fire.
College baseball teams have transfers in and out. They must be dumpster fires too.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Such negativity. Appreciate his contributions, but Trey is the one guy we we can improve on in the portal.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Question for those in the know: Are these announcements happening after each person (maybe with the exception of Jordan) has their end of year interview with the coach. Timing would seem to lean that way. If so, it may reflect on how the coach views their role next year.

Staff's ability to fill the voids will nevertheless be a huge test for them.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Yes, exit interviews concluded late last week/early this week, and then players make their decisions. The exception here is Stute, who's timing seemed a bit surprising (based on postgame-quotes). Also possible guys wait to see who we bring in from the portal/additional 2023 signees to see where they stand. The challenge for that approach is being late to the transfer portal and potentially missing out on better opportunities elsewhere. So yes, generally you'll see decisions within a few days of the exit interviews concluding.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I hate to lose anyone, but I think Trey is replaceable. I just loved this team, and it is falling apart, which is NOT the fault of the coaches, in my opinion. It's just the way things are now.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

baseball1234 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:17 am Let's call it what it is. Dumpster Fire.
Settle down there. We need to see how things shake out with Lawrence, Colin Smith and Dort, but we have a chance to significantly upgrade the roster depending on who we get in the portal.

All love to Stute and Trey Thomas, but Colin Smith is an upgrade over Stute (and was eating his minutes), and Trey was a one dimensional player shooting 30% from 3PG which is ... below average to be nice.

Losing Wright hurts, but was largely expected from those in the know. We'll need to bring in someone solid to replace that productivity, but it should potentially allow Smith to move into the 3 and let us go after more of a true 4.

Let's wait a few weeks before declaring a dumpster fire. Recency bias, but Robbins and Manjon (and hell, even Ansong as a last minute grab) show the staff is capable of bringing in SEC-ready guys.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Wasn't Lewis a late-bloomer signee and the guy is an SEC quality guard straight up. We could even add another h.s. player that was overlooked to this point.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:57 am Didn't see that one coming. Makes the Noah Shelby transfer all the more puzzling.
Nah. Shelby was done and out the door. He was a top 100(ish) recruit considered a good get and probably didn't play 40 minutes the entire season.

Whether or not that usage was deserved. Whether this is on Shelby or on Stack, I think that relationship was broken and that Shelby likely felt like he wasn't even being given a chance to show what he can do. I know some will say that chance occurred in practice, and that's legit. I'm not trying to take sides.

But its so easy to see Shelby looking at the other freshman and feeling like he was just being passed over.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Nope. Just the new normal.

We still have Smith, Lewis, Dort, Manjon, and Lawrence coming back (Lawrence will return from his brief NBA fling). While I'd rather have Wright as a part of it, I can live with that starting lineup. We have 3 freshman coming in.

And we haven't yet even a clue what the portal will bring in.

I'd rather something better than we have right now ... but we are still 2 guys away from a dumpster fire.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:58 am Nope. Just the new normal.

We still have Smith, Lewis, Dort, Manjon, and Lawrence coming back (Lawrence will return from his brief NBA fling). While I'd rather have Wright as a part of it, I can live with that starting lineup. We have 3 freshman coming in.

And we haven't yet even a clue what the portal will bring in.

I'd rather something better than we have right now ... but we are still 2 guys away from a dumpster fire.
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:03 am
Settle down there. We need to see how things shake out with Lawrence, Colin Smith and Dort, but we have a chance to significantly upgrade the roster depending on who we get in the portal.

All love to Stute and Trey Thomas, but Colin Smith is an upgrade over Stute (and was eating his minutes), and Trey was a one dimensional player shooting 30% from 3PG which is ... below average to be nice.

Losing Wright hurts, but was largely expected from those in the know. We'll need to bring in someone solid to replace that productivity, but it should potentially allow Smith to move into the 3 and let us go after more of a true 4.

Let's wait a few weeks before declaring a dumpster fire. Recency bias, but Robbins and Manjon (and hell, even Ansong as a last minute grab) show the staff is capable of bringing in SEC-ready guys.
OK, but this is a mass exodus. We need ALOT of help. I hope we get it.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Currently, there are 665 players in the transfer portal, which dosen't include the players who have already committed. Last year, there were over 1000 players in the portal. Do the math, 3-5 transfers per team, and that's well over 200 teams. There were so many transfers last year, there was no D-1 chair left for a lot of players when the music stopped. Kansas St had nine players on their elite eight team who were transfers. FAU, two. San Diego St, four. This is also the first year there are no consensus top 30 players in the final four. It is also the first year there are no Mickey D's in the final four.
Let's not make this out to be " a dumpster fire" or a Stackhouse problem. It is the new world order. I look at this as an opportunity. If Lawrence stays, which i think he will ( the list of players testing the waters is significantly larger than the number who will be drafted), there is a solid core coming back. With 1-2 transfers, like a starting center , QMB is a great backup, and a forward that can shoot/rebound like the kid from Harvard, Ledlum or someone similar ( there will be at least a dozen possibilities), we have a likely tourney team.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

A freshman guard at Dayton that averaged less than 6ppg just turned pro...AND hired an agent.

So, he can't come back to college ball, thus since the kid is from Mongolia (not a joke), maybe riding the bus in the G-league is a dream come true. That's where he will end up at least for a few years.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:54 am
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:57 am Didn't see that one coming. Makes the Noah Shelby transfer all the more puzzling.
Nah. Shelby was done and out the door. He was a top 100(ish) recruit considered a good get and probably didn't play 40 minutes the entire season.

Whether or not that usage was deserved. Whether this is on Shelby or on Stack, I think that relationship was broken and that Shelby likely felt like he wasn't even being given a chance to show what he can do. I know some will say that chance occurred in practice, and that's legit. I'm not trying to take sides.

But its so easy to see Shelby looking at the other freshman and feeling like he was just being passed over.
Ahead of Shelby were two locked in starters, a fellow freshman who showed a lot more this season, and a highly regarded incoming freshman.
Shelby didn't get much playing time but nothing we saw when he was on the floor made me think he was the cream of the class. He most likely would have been the 5th guard off the bench. I can't blame him for looking elsewhere.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

alathIN wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:42 am
mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:54 am

Ahead of Shelby were two locked in starters, a fellow freshman who showed a lot more this season, and a highly regarded incoming freshman.
Shelby didn't get much playing time but nothing we saw when he was on the floor made me think he was the cream of the class. He most likely would have been the 5th guard off the bench. I can't blame him for looking elsewhere.
Well I'll be dipped. A voice of reason. On the world-wide inter-webs. That won't happen every day.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Hell, after this post season they can all go as far as I am concerned. I am done with this bunch.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I missed something. Who is the “highly regarded incoming freshman”?

And how can you transfer OUT of a school you have never been IN?
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Who's next? Mr Commodore?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 am A freshman guard at Dayton that averaged less than 6ppg just turned pro...AND hired an agent.

So, he can't come back to college ball, thus since the kid is from Mongolia (not a joke), maybe riding the bus in the G-league is a dream come true. That's where he will end up at least for a few years.
Keeping in mind that I don't know the kid you mentioned from Adam, it is possible that...

1) The G-League *IS* a dream come true. It would be paying him money. To play a game. And having just average 6 ppg in the A10 he is well aware that the NBA is a pipe dream.

2) Heck, if he is from Mongolia, he may not even have his sights on the G-League. Maybe he put his name in for the NBA draft because, hey, if someone *actually* picks him he gets a boatload of money, but really his expectation is to play in Europe ... or Asia. Where he can probably make high 5 figures or low 6 figures for playing a game.

3) Plus, for all we know, the only reason he even came to college was to get college ball on his resume. Maybe he was ill-equipped for college work and is flunking out of Dayton, sort of forcing his hand on the turning pro thing.

I think we sometimes rush to judgment on some of these kids. Especially if someone commits to the NBA draft that is obviously ill-prepared for it, there has to be more to the story we don't know.
Locked Previous topicNext topic