Scumbag Alabama fans kinda ruined my day

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Scumbag Alabama fans kinda ruined my day

Post by historybill »

This guy was sitting right beside me.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alaba ... 2Q1T030FEY

Fellows, I grew up in Alabama and rooted for them before I went to Vanderbilt, and I've sort of rooted for them when they aren't playing against Vanderbilt all these years.

But I will never, ever root for Alabama again.

By the way, the "bitch didn't have it coming."

She was murdered, and the accessory to the murder is the star of the Alabama basketball team, and Alabama fans think it is FUNNY.

GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Re: Scumbag Alabama fans kinda ruined my day

Post by GoheenFan88 »

People like this guy have something seriously wrong with them.

I can’t believe they didn’t have someone remove him during that game.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

It would be horrible for college basketball if they become national champs. The squad has that Urban Meyer U of Florida taint to it—sadly, never really hurt any of those involved.

Big time college sports really has an ugly under belly.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

historybill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:37 pm This guy was sitting right beside me.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alaba ... 2Q1T030FEY

Fellows, I grew up in Alabama and rooted for them before I went to Vanderbilt, and I've sort of rooted for them when they aren't playing against Vanderbilt all these years.

But I will never, ever root for Alabama again.

By the way, the "bitch didn't have it coming."

She was murdered, and the accessory to the murder is the star of the Alabama basketball team, and Alabama fans think it is FUNNY.
Were you the vandy fan that defended this journalist?
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Yes. I told the guy to just let "the kid" do his job. I sort of did that because I'm old enough to probably be the dad of the reporter.

I also told him that I grew up an Alabama fan, that I used to fly in the Navy, and that I used to be a reporter, and I told him to calm down. Then I shook his hand, and he left.

I'll be honest... I knew he was obnoxious, and I knew that he was belittling the murder thing, but I didn't know what the back of his shirt said. Had I known that I wouldn't have shaken his hand.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

By the way, that's the first time I've sat in a group of fans from another SEC school in about 5 years.

Not sure if I want to do that ever again.

To be honest, most of the 'Bama fans in the section were calm, normal people. But there were some strange ones.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

historybill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 pm Yes. I told the guy to just let "the kid" do his job. I sort of did that because I'm old enough to probably be the dad of the reporter.

I also told him that I grew up an Alabama fan, that I used to fly in the Navy, and that I used to be a reporter, and I told him to calm down. Then I shook his hand, and he left.

I'll be honest... I knew he was obnoxious, and I knew that he was belittling the murder thing, but I didn't know what the back of his shirt said. Had I known that I wouldn't have shaken his hand.
It’s amazing how team allegiance can be more important than murder.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Saw years ago a quote/thought:

We know he's a thug, but he's OUR thug.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Truth be known, this is the REAL reason I'm ready for Vanderbilt to leave the SEC.

I honest to God don't want to mingle with some of the fans of other schools.

I mean... there's a reason I left Alabama in 1983.

That's definitely the last time I take my family to the SEC tournament; that's for sure.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

historybill wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:22 pm Truth be known, this is the REAL reason I'm ready for Vanderbilt to leave the SEC.

I honest to God don't want to mingle with some of the fans of other schools.

I mean... there's a reason I left Alabama in 1983.

That's definitely the last time I take my family to the SEC tournament; that's for sure.
I’ve had somewhat unavoidable run-ins with vols fans back in the day. It was hard for them losing to us in football at Neyland. I don’t want to attend other sec arenas.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

It reflects horribly on the sec that these clowns were not elected today.
The warning about tomorrow is like the cops posting where they Saturday night drunk driving traps are in advance.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

I was there today, and I saw this dude in the concourse. I had no clue about the back of a shirt. I just rolled my eyes at the GOATS on the front.

Another thing - I was bummed they weren’t serving alcohol at Bridgestone… Hard to watch that Vandy game without it. But thankful they weren’t serving it given how some Bama fans were acting.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

vu2003rpl wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:08 pm I was there today, and I saw this dude in the concourse. I had no clue about the back of a shirt. I just rolled my eyes at the GOATS on the front.

Another thing - I was bummed they weren’t serving alcohol at Bridgestone… Hard to watch that Vandy game without it. But thankful they weren’t serving it given how some Bama fans were acting.
Actually rereading the article… I guess multiple people have this T-shirt? So I’m not sure if it was this guy or not.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Here's the al.com article, which shows the back of the t-shirts more clearly: https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/20 ... -game.html

My only comment is, there are good and bad people everywhere and there are definitely great people in Alabama. I know several. A state and a university shouldn't be totally judged on the actions of a few, many of whom never sat foot in a classroom there. BUT, that school and state seem to have more than their share of rednecks, and the decision not to sanction Miller in any way -- and the celebration of that fact by many of their fans -- reflect very very poorly on the place.

Good for you HistoryBill for standing up!
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

And of course they sing their utterly classless "We just beat the hell outta you" cheer, to emphasize the OP's point.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic