Is Stute's defense worth it?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Mrcommodore
Rear Admiral

Is Stute's defense worth it?

Post by Mrcommodore »

Stute went 1/11 last night including 1/8 from 3. If he had shot just in the 30-40% range that would have added about 8 points, and we would have had our foots on LSU's throat instead of having them linger til almost the end.

I don't know what has happened to his shot, but his shots aren't going down and end the possession. My question is, is his defense worth having him in? Or alternatively should he just be told not to shoot 3s?

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Re: Is Stute's defense worth it?

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Is Thomas's?????? worth it. Ron Shay said he expected Stute and thomas to come back strong in the second half.Has he saw us play all season?
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I think some of it is just getting in a rhythm with the larger backdrop at Bridgestone. I am hopeful they both go off tonight.
Bird75
Ensign

Post by Bird75 »

I’ve been critical of both Thomas and Stute all year. For whatever reason, neither can shout at a high percentage. Yes they may have A have, but few and far between.
At the game last night, Stute and Thomas cannot play D against quicker players, they’re a liability. Smith comes off bench and it’s instant offense and energy.
Maybe coincidence, Stute comes back in, takes bad shot, and LSU closes the gap. His looks are not good and seems like he’s forcing the issue to score. He’s down and no energy when he’s in and not making shots and no energy when he’s on the bench.

I hope they can provide something tonight. We will need everyone to win at Kentucky tonight. Kidding of course, bugbit will be a lot of Blue in stands
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Something tells me it’s worth it. We are 9-1 over the last 10 games. The coach of the year has figured out a successful rotation.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:05 am Something tells me it’s worth it. We are 9-1 over the last 10 games. The coach of the year has figured out a successful rotation.
This. If we are winning, then yes, it's worth it.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:23 am
Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:05 am Something tells me it’s worth it. We are 9-1 over the last 10 games. The coach of the year has figured out a successful rotation.
I feel like I haven’t seen a few of these posters as often over the past month and change. Could be mistaken, though.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I had plumb gave up on Jordan. Thank goodness Coach didn't listen to me. My gut tells me to sit back and watch.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am
I feel like I haven’t seen a few of these posters as often over the past month and change. Could be mistaken, though.
??

I've been posting ... not as often as some, but I've been around...
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am

??

I've been posting ... not as often as some, but I've been around...
Not referring to you at all. More those who seem often to posts only if they have a gripe.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Mrcommodore wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:35 am Stute went 1/11 last night including 1/8 from 3. If he had shot just in the 30-40% range that would have added about 8 points, and we would have had our foots on LSU's throat instead of having them linger til almost the end.

I don't know what has happened to his shot, but his shots aren't going down and end the possession. My question is, is his defense worth having him in? Or alternatively should he just be told not to shoot 3s?
Something tells me it is worth it: co-coach of the year is the something.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

I have never been a fan of rather one-dimensional players who hang outside and launch 3s, especially when we've always needed size inside. "Live by the three, die by the three" is not much to rely on. For those who remember D-Sheb, he was 7'2" and just launched 3s, with minimal rebounding for a guy his size. Frustrating. The majority of our team shoots 3s in the 30-something percent range, so we could park anybody outside and just keep shooting, why do Thomas and (especially) Stute at 6'7" get that luxury? There's got to be more to a player's game imho.

Of course we trust Stack so for now that's what we're going with.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Troubadore wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:07 pm I have never been a fan of rather one-dimensional players who hang outside and launch 3s, especially when we've always needed size inside. "Live by the three, die by the three" is not much to rely on. For those who remember D-Sheb, he was 7'2" and just launched 3s, with minimal rebounding for a guy his size. Frustrating. The majority of our team shoots 3s in the 30-something percent range, so we could park anybody outside and just keep shooting, why do Thomas and (especially) Stute at 6'7" get that luxury? There's got to be more to a player's game imho.

Of course we trust Stack so for now that's what we're going with.
CJS had done a really great job working around the holes in our roster. His development of Lawrence, Robbins and Manjon is really amazing, and we're starting to see development of the freshmen who have been playing consistently. Stute is not solely a three point shooter, though on offense he is. He is a decent defender who is actually a pretty good defensive rebounder. He isn't a monster on the boards, but his rebounding rate exceeds that of Dia and QMB. Thomas OTOH, plays because there simply isn't enough depth at the position and CJS doesn't trust Shelby to do what he wants. I'd say a large part of why we've struggled to put teams away this season is because we have not played the type of defense that was present last season. Thomas shouldn't get all of the blame and it isn't his fault that the starting point guard is equally vertically challenged, but it is difficult to have a great defensive team when you play two guards who are barely 6' even with shoes on. I suspect that for the remaining games we have it will become even more difficult to play smaller lineups in the backcourt without the presence of a top shotblocker manning the paint. But without Robbins Stute is playing exclusively in the post and we are left with Manjon, Lawrence, Wright, Lewis and Thomas to cover the PG and wing positions. That is 120 minutes available to 4 players and even if the former three play 90 minutes between them, it is very likely that Thomas ends up playing at least 20 minutes as Lewis is mainly playing backup PG.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stute has got to look for better shots!! Not 10 feet behind the 3pt line. His defense has helped some. Thomas should play no more than 15 minutes unless red hot.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

buffy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:57 pm I had plumb gave up on Jordan. Thank goodness Coach didn't listen to me. My gut tells me to sit back and watch.
If you've ever had back problems you can empathize with the "paralyzed one day, totally fine another" randomness.
Locked Previous topicNext topic