Big trouble for Alabama's Brandon Miller from January incident

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

katmai
Rear Admiral

Re: Big trouble for Alabama's Brandon Miller from January incident

Post by katmai »

When Oates said that they were aware of Miller's involvement, I wonder if that was just the basketball staff or if that included the AD. I like how Oates said Miller hadn't been in trouble before, I guess except for his involvement in this murder.

Playing Devil's Advocate, if Miller cooperated with police, and his story is that he thought Miles needed the gun for protection, not to settle a stupid argument over a girl, then maybe he wouldn't be criminally liable for the situation. But my guess is that the woman's family is going to see if he is civilly liable, as he is about to be a rich man if this doesn't damage his draft stock.

Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

An important detail is that Brandon Miller’s car blocked the woman’s Jeep in at the scene so she couldn’t leave.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Obvious wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:35 am An important detail is that Brandon Miller’s car blocked the woman’s Jeep in at the scene so she couldn’t leave.
the case for "accessory" builds....??
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

docdore wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:13 am
Obvious wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:35 am An important detail is that Brandon Miller’s car blocked the woman’s Jeep in at the scene so she couldn’t leave.
the case for "accessory" builds....??
He might never be punished and Alabama might win it all but they will never have anyone’s respect.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Paging the NCAA...please do what the SEC refuses to do.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

If they kick him out of school it will be after the season....right after the last game in the NCAA Tournament!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

He won’t even be in school after the season.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

NateSY wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 pm
commadore wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm Local Montgomery news just did an interview with a cop in Tuscaloosa. He said there was no law under which they could charge Miller. I am an attorney and think if I was a DA I could find something to charge him with.
I’m definitely not an attorney, but I feel like any rational person who had a friend they knew was out drinking, ask them to bring them a gun, would know that the intent was to use that gun. Which I presume would be enough grounds to charge him as an accessory wouldn’t it?
I'm not very privy to all the facts and I'm a gun rights opponent (for the most part), but there's a reason well beyond the reach of Alabama Athletics that they didn't charge him: There are circumstances under which it would have been both legal and defensible for him to do it.

A few facts: Miller was not in the SUV or anywhere near it at the time of the shooting. Miles texted him to get his gun and Davis and Miles drove to pick it up. They later encountered the other vehicle. As for Miles and Davis, Miles claims he got the gun for self-defense and Davis that he shot it in self-defense. You may or may not believe those claims, but shots were fired and people were wounded in both directions. (Davis, the shooter, was himself wounded in the arm.) We don't actually know who fired first, just that occupants of both vehicle fired at the other and there were eight shots exchanged.

So maybe everyone should take a step back and consider that a) like it or not, America does allow handgun ownership, b) it is legal to defend yourself with a handgun, c) Miller was not involved in the shooting and he gave the gun to its legal owner--who didn't shoot anybody with it, d) this has not yet gone to trial, and e) we are still a country who's legal system is based on the presumption of innocence. Miles has been dismissed from the team. Miller is likely guilty of bad judgment but I don't think the lack of charges against him indicate favouritism by the police. As they said, he didn't commit a crime that they could charge him with. So maybe we should all settle down a bit before jumping to conclusions about something so terrible.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm
Nashmann wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:38 pm Did he have a license to carry/transport that gun? If he hadn't brought that gun would the young lady still be alive? Seems like he would be an accessory to the crime...
But-but-but...2nd Amendment...Alabama and all...gun rights...
Haven't been able to find any article that says the gun was owned legally. Any idea?
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

baseball1234 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:01 am
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm
Nashmann wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:38 pm Did he have a license to carry/transport that gun? If he hadn't brought that gun would the young lady still be alive? Seems like he would be an accessory to the crime...
But-but-but...2nd Amendment...Alabama and all...gun rights...
Haven't been able to find any article that says the gun was owned legally. Any idea?
I haven't seen anything, but it is not difficult for an adult to legally purchase a gun.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

TwoSaints wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:17 am
commadore wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm Local Montgomery news just did an interview with a cop in Tuscaloosa. He said there was no law under which they could charge Miller. I am an attorney and think if I was a DA I could find something to charge him with.
I’m definitely not an attorney, but I feel like any rational person who had a friend they knew was out drinking, ask them to bring them a gun, would know that the intent was to use that gun. Which I presume would be enough grounds to charge him as an accessory wouldn’t it?
I'm not very privy to all the facts and I'm a gun rights opponent (for the most part), but there's a reason well beyond the reach of Alabama Athletics that they didn't charge him: There are circumstances under which it would have been both legal and defensible for him to do it.

A few facts: Miller was not in the SUV or anywhere near it at the time of the shooting. Miles texted him to get his gun and Davis and Miles drove to pick it up. They later encountered the other vehicle. As for Miles and Davis, Miles claims he got the gun for self-defense and Davis that he shot it in self-defense. You may or may not believe those claims, but shots were fired and people were wounded in both directions. (Davis, the shooter, was himself wounded in the arm.) We don't actually know who fired first, just that occupants of both vehicle fired at the other and there were eight shots exchanged.

So maybe everyone should take a step back and consider that a) like it or not, America does allow handgun ownership, b) it is legal to defend yourself with a handgun, c) Miller was not involved in the shooting and he gave the gun to its legal owner--who didn't shoot anybody with it, d) this has not yet gone to trial, and e) we are still a country who's legal system is based on the presumption of innocence. Miles has been dismissed from the team. Miller is likely guilty of bad judgment but I don't think the lack of charges against him indicate favouritism by the police. As they said, he didn't commit a crime that they could charge him with. So maybe we should all settle down a bit before jumping to conclusions about something so terrible.
All I'm saying is that it was worth at least a 1 game suspension while they figured it all out, and that would have helped us immensely. I hate to think what Vanderbilt would have done in this situation. He would have been suspended and then kicked off the team. As a program, I think you have to set a standard. If you're on an athletic team at the university, you have to hold yourself and your teammates to a higher standard.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

It's an ethical and moral issue vs. a legal one for most of us.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MemorialMagic wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:36 am

All I'm saying is that it was worth at least a 1 game suspension while they figured it all out, and that would have helped us immensely. I hate to think what Vanderbilt would have done in this situation. He would have been suspended and then kicked off the team. As a program, I think you have to set a standard. If you're on an athletic team at the university, you have to hold yourself and your teammates to a higher standard.
Stallings dismissed Eric McClellan for stealing a belt from Nordstrom.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Miller's legal problems won't begin until fall, when he's making an NBA salary and gets hit with a massive civil lawsuit from the victim's family.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Regardless of what you think of the Ameican justice system, Miller does have the presumption of innocence and nothing I have read states he is even going to be charged. The entire situation seems like it could have easily been avoided. The way the story is portrayed these Alabama athletes are very arrogant and entitled which is definitely a factor in the way these unfortunate events played out.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

If there was a perceived need for a gun, couldn't the players have just walked away and gone home? Were they being held at gunpoint or some other deadly weapon while the gun was being delivered? Seems like there was time to just leave. Or would walking away violate your perception of an alpha male? I read somewhere that it happened at 1:30 in the morning (correct me if I'm wrong).
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

These thugs are in college, in semi rural Alabama.

Why the hell are they driving around with loaded handguns in the first place?

I agree... EVERY SEC SCHOOL NEEDS TO STRIP SEARCH EVERY UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA athlete before all games.
Locked Previous topicNext topic