Interesting behavior in bottom left hand corner.

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Interesting behavior in bottom left hand corner.

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Aerial view of the crowd rushing the court.

Triggered a bit? Aw, don't go home mad. Just go home.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1623500387599761411
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcdore
Admiral

Re: Interesting behavior in bottom left hand corner.

Post by dcdore »

:lol: :lol: :lol: wah, wah, wah
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

That is pretty pathetic. But at least some of the UT staff stepped up and pushed their own players back. Who by the way were moving to "start some trouble" apparently unprovoked.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:58 pm That is pretty pathetic. But at least some of the UT staff stepped up and pushed their own players back. Who by the way were moving to "start some trouble" apparently unprovoked.
That is how it appears.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I watched the replay a few times. If you look closely, I wouldn’t necessarily say it was totally unprovoked. With both players, if you watch closely, a VU fan seems to be in their path/face saying something. I’m sure in the heat of the moment after a hard fought loss, tempers are already up and somebody mouthing off about it can be a trigger.
Seriously. Go back and watch closely, slowing down the action by dragging the timeline cursor. VU fans definitely nearly collided with and even (in the case of the first UT player who was on the floor) clearly said something.
We’ll never know for sure what was said or exactly how it went down, but I wouldn’t be too quick to judge the situation. I’m just really glad for all parties involved that cooler heads prevailed.

(And go to hell, UT!)
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

The reaction by the UT players is about what I saw from young men when I taught in public high school a few years ago. If there's violence to be had, big boys will run towards it, not away from it.

I don't know whether another steep fine is forthcoming (the fine was $250,000 the last time this happened), but at some point the athletic department might need to get serious about stopping students from running on the court/field.

The last time I went to a game at Memorial Gym a few weeks ago, my son and I joked about this. I don't think a row of mostly elderly women wearing yellow shirts is going to stop a group of mostly young men between 18 and 21 years old who are all fired up.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

Boy if the crowd mobbing the players had seen that push, it may have turned VERY ugly, fast.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

This fan was running in front of their bench taunting them. We are VU….this is totally unacceptable!! Fans have no business on the court, especially confronting and challenging the other team’s players! It’s an extremely dangerous situation and is totally uncalled for….you can’t blame the player’s reaction when this occurs!!!
:oops: :twisted: :oops:
Last edited by Ndorefin on Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Are we talking about the Vandy fan who ran on the court by the UT bench and in all liklihood said something? I hate the Vols and all of that,but what did this nut think was going to happen? Had the reverse happened in Knoxville you think the Vandy players would have extended a hand and said, "nice game,Buddy. Good luck the rest of the year"?

Good thing this wasn't in the 70's or 80's. Someone in orange probably would have bent this guy in half.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Charlie Nickens wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:47 pm Are we talking about the Vandy fan who ran on the court by the UT bench and in all liklihood said something? I hate the Vols and all of that,but what did this nut think was going to happen? Had the reverse happened in Knoxville you think the Vandy players would have extended a hand and said, "nice game,Buddy. Good luck the rest of the year"?

Good thing this wasn't in the 70's or 80's. Someone in orange probably would have bent this guy in half.
That guy was an idiot and appeared to have been knocked to the floor - hope it hurt like hell! VU security has to know to be prepared to respond for games. I remember ( i know OldDude remembering :lol: ) not that many years ago security lined up along student section in waning seconds of games; seems a no brainer.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Security was lined up in front of the student section for the last several minutes of the game. Apparently they didn’t try that hard to stop them and/or simply felt they couldn’t without causing more chaos.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

The incident in the middle of the screen seemed to be instigated by a fan jawing at one of their players as the player was exiting toward the left side. You can see him almost circling the player face to face.
UT will be fired up the next time we see them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic