Recruiting Ranking

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Recruiting Ranking

Post by Nashmann »

First let me say we signed some very good players. Some exciting RB's. However...we are still ranked 14th in SEC....

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: Recruiting Ranking

Post by cc11316 »

Yep, it's going to be hard to gain ground on the rest of the SEC with this kind of stat. For example, according to 247 Ole Miss is #13 in the SEC but their recruiting is ranked 37th overall with just 12 recruits (however 7 are 4* recruits). By comparison, Vandy is currently 50th overall with 20 total recruits (1 4* recruit).
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Rankings matter somewhat. No argument there. So in our case, it comes down to how well we project that 3* talent. I think most people in here felt like the first real class proved to be legit. I suspect this one will also. One or two more of these classes and we'll be competitive in most games. On paper, there's no way on God's green earth we should have won 2 SEC games. WE'RE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I think Coach Lea and Vanderbilt are recruiting high school students as honorably and as aggressively as can be done, given the landscape of college football today and the responsibility of representing Vanderbilt as the institution it is. It is easy to go with the herd and most everyone does. I'm grateful for those people in life who try to do the right thing and make it work, regardless of how difficult it is. I'll always pull for those people and what they represent.

Do I wish the rankings were better? Absolutely. Am I proud of the opportunity Coach Lea and company provide young men and their families? Absolutely.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

buffy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:39 am Rankings matter somewhat. No argument there. So in our case, it comes down to how well we project that 3* talent. I think most people in here felt like the first real class proved to be legit. I suspect this one will also. One or two more of these classes and we'll be competitive in most games. On paper, there's no way on God's green earth we should have won 2 SEC games. WE'RE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.
We were an unconverted 4th and 1 vs Mizzou from being in a bowl game.
EmoryCommodore
Petty Officer

Post by EmoryCommodore »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:59 pm
buffy wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:39 am Rankings matter somewhat. No argument there. So in our case, it comes down to how well we project that 3* talent. I think most people in here felt like the first real class proved to be legit. I suspect this one will also. One or two more of these classes and we'll be competitive in most games. On paper, there's no way on God's green earth we should have won 2 SEC games. WE'RE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.
We were an unconverted 4th and 1 vs Mizzou from being in a bowl game.
Or a couple of missed FGs.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

The million dollar question is are they closing the gap or are the other SEC member schools increasing the gap? I guess we shall see how much these rankings matter. It won't get (much) easier though they do trade Alabama for Auburn next year but otherwise a very similar schedule to this year.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

The other teams are more than extending the gap. Not only are they signing 4 & 5 stars they are loading up with top players from the portal. Will always be tough for us to compete. We need to keep coaching players up...hope other teams don't poach after they get coached up....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Only 5 SEC schools signed at least one 5*. Of those 5, 3 signed more than one. Seven teams signed double digit 4*. Our "problem" is our 3* are lower ranked than most other schools 3*'s. But we know that our 3*'s, for the most part, will stick with VU for 4 years, and I think it is highly unlikely that most of our SEC competitors will see that kind of retention. And for some, Bama, Georgia, aTm, LSU, some of their 5* and 4* players either won't pan out or will move on without being major contributors.
Locked Previous topicNext topic