coach ralph speaks

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

docdore
Vice Admiral

coach ralph speaks

Post by docdore »

“One of the things I love about our chancellor, about Vanderbilt University, about Dr. Lee our AD, they’re not playing around with this degree. So, the transfer portal is limited for us. We can take a freshman transfer or a grad transfer. But, kind of in between, they’re not going to let you come here, take 20 credits and say you graduated from Vanderbilt. They’re not going to do it. So, it gives me an ability to kind of taper down the options and really focus on the players we think can help us and that we can help.”

this statement from wbb coach shea ralph clearly and realistically states, without complaining, a substantial limitation of coaching (whatever sport) at vanderbilt. it clarifies why we are going to constantly be at a considerable disadvantage in today's nil/portal athletic world and what the focus must be.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: coach ralph speaks

Post by dore74 »

…and that’s why we so loyally pull for our teams…
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

If you want to pull for guys majoring in VCR repair, there are places like Grand Canyon in the world.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I really like this statement from Coach Ralph. Its short, but it explains a lot, particularly when you think about Coach Lea's relative insistence on not really taking portal players. It all becomes more clear now. Tough lot we draw as those loyal to the black & gold...
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

All well and good. The sterling value of the Vanderbilt brand is upheld

But as VU faces an increasingly uphill climb, with an expanded conference schedule of powerhouses and multi-million-dollar NIL collectives elsewhere, don't forget: VU ties THIS arm behind itself. No one else is forcing this on VU.

Does VU allow non-student-athletes to transfer in at the start of their third year? I don't know. IF it does, why not allow student-athletes to transfer in as entering juniors too? They would still complete half their studies in the hallowed halls. VU could simply decline to accept the credits for courses that it doesn't consider up to VU standards. (And yes, I know that many of you consider NONE of the credits earned elsewhere as up to VU standards.)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:55 pm All well and good. The sterling value of the Vanderbilt brand is upheld

But as VU faces an increasingly uphill climb, with an expanded conference schedule of powerhouses and multi-million-dollar NIL collectives elsewhere, don't forget: VU ties THIS arm behind itself. No one else is forcing this on VU.

Does VU allow non-student-athletes to transfer in at the start of their third year? I don't know. IF it does, why not allow student-athletes to transfer in as entering juniors too? They would still complete half their studies in the hallowed halls. VU could simply decline to accept the credits for courses that it doesn't consider up to VU standards. (And yes, I know that many of you consider NONE of the credits earned elsewhere as up to VU standards.)
Coming in after your soph year you have to have 60 hours from VU to get a VU degree. I transferred in after my sophomore year. I had 84 hours, 74 of which transferred. Yet to graduate I had to have at least 60 more hours to graduate. So anyone transferring in could do it if they get the required number of hours, but they must have at least 60.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I think everyone has known that Vandy faces impediments and has always been at a recruiting disadvantage due to their stringent academic requirements and integrity. I guess my take-away is this came out (to me) sounding like preemptive excuses.

There are obviously other academic institutions (albeit not in the SEC) who have a similar academic reputation (ie. Stanford, Nortwestern, Duke, ...) so it's not something that only they have to deal with. We also know or have heard the stories of the "exceptions" that some student athletes have received historically. Still good students but wouldn't be admitted as a non-athlete. So yeah, it's a real issue but nothing really new just because of the transfer portal.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:15 am We also know or have heard the stories of the "exceptions" that some student athletes have received historically. Still good students but wouldn't be admitted as a non-athlete.
Ron Mercer comes to mind. Wait…

But seriously, I can’t think of that many favors VU admissions has done for the athletics department over the years. I truly believe they’re just as likely to make exceptions for financial reasons (from both ends of the spectrum) as they are for athletics.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:15 am I think everyone has known that Vandy faces impediments and has always been at a recruiting disadvantage due to their stringent academic requirements and integrity. I guess my take-away is this came out (to me) sounding like preemptive excuses.

There are obviously other academic institutions (albeit not in the SEC) who have a similar academic reputation (ie. Stanford, Nortwestern, Duke, ...) so it's not something that only they have to deal with. We also know or have heard the stories of the "exceptions" that some student athletes have received historically. Still good students but wouldn't be admitted as a non-athlete. So yeah, it's a real issue but nothing really new just because of the transfer portal.
While mostly true, I'll always maintain that none of our academic brethren face the same steepness of uphill climb as Vanderbilt. Duke, Stanford and Northwestern all have some academically-minded institutions in their conferences. Much more so than VU. I would argue that the SEC has none other than us. IMO, that matters.

Hopefully Coach Ralph knew that going in (at the very least she should have) so no complaining now.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:53 am
cc11316 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:15 am We also know or have heard the stories of the "exceptions" that some student athletes have received historically. Still good students but wouldn't be admitted as a non-athlete.
Ron Mercer comes to mind. Wait…

But seriously, I can’t think of that many favors VU admissions has done for the athletics department over the years. I truly believe they’re just as likely to make exceptions for financial reasons (from both ends of the spectrum) as they are for athletics.
Let's say (hypothetically of course) an athlete has a 16.5 on the ACT which (traditional state school hoops power) generously has to round up to a "17" to let him in...does that sound like a VU academic candidate?

The same Vanderbilt with a current admission rate of 6% ?? Like Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth.
Then what do you say to the legacy academic star student who was waitlisted?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

OP is about transfer portal which is different than regular admission. Grad school is a totally different animal than undergrad: all our grad schools I wager are much more restrictive than most (excluding Stanford, Duke etc.) And I bet most students in the regular portal probably don't have nearly enough transfer credits that would allow them either admission or eligibility at VU undergraduae schools. The transfer portal has made it all the more difficult for VU than our SEC bretherin. Same for schools like VU and this is what Shea was talking abou in OP.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

We are the Naval Academy of the SEC. Navy, alone among the service academies, does not allow redshirts, did not allow the COVID year. At Navy, your football days are over 4 years after enrollment, you are commissioned, and head off to your first duty station. We face similar but different impediments. But some will still find the challenge, and the reward of a Vanderbilt educational experience, appealing. We just have to find enough of those special individuals to be competitive in the SEC.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:39 pm We are the Naval Academy of the SEC. Navy, alone among the service academies, does not allow redshirts, did not allow the COVID year. At Navy, your football days are over 4 years after enrollment, you are commissioned, and head off to your first duty station. We face similar but different impediments. But some will still find the challenge, and the reward of a Vanderbilt educational experience, appealing. We just have to find enough of those special individuals to be competitive in the SEC.
Don't forget, under the new wild-west/anything-goes "rules" (or lack of) Northwestern went 1-11 (very Watson Brown-ish) lost to an FCS team and a mid-major, only win was vs a 4-8 team. :o :shock:
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:39 pm We are the Naval Academy of the SEC. Navy, alone among the service academies, does not allow redshirts, did not allow the COVID year. At Navy, your football days are over 4 years after enrollment, you are commissioned, and head off to your first duty station. We face similar but different impediments. But some will still find the challenge, and the reward of a Vanderbilt educational experience, appealing. We just have to find enough of those special individuals to be competitive in the SEC.
Good analogy and they don't even have the rank of Commodore any more.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

The Naval Academy has a unique national draw: if you want to be an elite Navy officer and you can get in, it's your top choice. But there are many elite academic-focused universities -- of all sizes, public and private. So if you're an athlete who wants the challenge and reward of a Vanderbilt-like educational experience, you have MANY options to choose from.

Wonder how Navy would fare in the modern SEC.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:23 pm
Good analogy and they don't even have the rank of Commodore any more.
Maybe we should change our name to the Vanderbilt Rear Admirals. I am sure there could be some meaning with that.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

[/quote]
But seriously, I can’t think of that many favors VU admissions has done for the athletics department over the years.
[/quote]

So do you think the football scholarship athletes typically have anything close to what is required for admission as a non-athlete? You could say the very existence of the football program is a "favor" from the admissions office. Vanderbilt's web site indicates that the average SAT in the freshman class is over 1,500. Seriously, do you think the admissions office is turning down any football players with 1,450?
Locked Previous topicNext topic