Recruiting And Future Success?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Recruiting And Future Success?

Post by Nashmann »

OK. We have 16 commits right now all 3-stars except one 4/3 star. Not sure how many folks we can sign but if we don't start signing 3-5 recruits at the 4-star level we will have a difficult time moving up in the SEC rankings. Yes, I know stars don't always mean everything(our usual excuses) but they most definitely better the odds. I can't make any prediction on next year's record until signings are complete and the in/out portal happenings occur. I see a 3-4 win possibly 5 win(at best) so far.

We need so many positions filled. WR, OL & DL, RB, and DB...even LB..... pretty much every position. Most of all we need OL size and overall SPEED!!!! Speed in the WR & DB is critical!! Having tall long arm DBs is great but if they are slow, it doesn't matter. Do you think this staff can get it done? Do you think Leas shows more enthusiasm in the home of recruits than he shows in pressers?

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Recruiting And Future Success?

Post by BrentVU »

Just curious, how many wins did you predict for Texas A&M this season? Since they've signed so many 5-star players the last three seasons or so? ;) Just sayin'.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm Just curious, how many wins did you predict for Texas A&M this season? Since they've signed so many 5-star players the last three seasons or so? ;) Just sayin'.
I don't care abot A & m....I care about Vandy's ability to be relevant. Jimbo needs to fire his staff....same as does Lea....or most of his staff(except Jovan) He needs some that can recruit and close the deal. Then not give up 36 points per game and 40 in the SEC!!!
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm Just curious, how many wins did you predict for Texas A&M this season? Since they've signed so many 5-star players the last three seasons or so? ;) Just sayin'.
Yeah, but you're pointing to an outlier. Outliers happen. But the odds are with the stars.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Having recruited athletes the last 40 years, I can tell you authenticity trumps hoopla. Franklin was so good because he had both.

As far is the star systems they are purely businesses. Ever;yone knows who the true players are, the key especially at a Vandy is can you evaluate the next rung down to find the best athletes who fit your program.

I agreee with the fact we need players at every position. Speed and strength with a heavy dose of want to.

That is not to say we haven't increase our talent in his first 18 months on the job.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

So far if I am reading it right 15 of our commits are mid to low 3-stars with 1 commit a borderline 3-4Star...
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

What's the NIL going rate for a solid 4 star these days? Jus sayin'
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

Everything begins with recruiting. Once you have the recruits you have to develop them. This is why Bama, UGA, Ohio State, etc. are always starting ahead of the game. Their coaches have always recruited well, and then developed this talent into the highest caliber of college player. These teams consistently get 4- and 5-star recruits, and they know how to coach them up.

Butch Jones was notorious for recruiting top talent but could not develop it, and now it looks like Jimbo is in the same boat. If you recruit well, then you have a chance to win. If you don't, you start behind the 8 ball. Even if you recruit top talent and don't develop you can still win some games, see Florida and LSU. I know the occasional "no star to 3 star" turns out to be awesome, but there is a reason the top teams are always at the top. Occasionally, you can have a Kentucky that seems to be able to get a small amount of the 4 star recruits and develop and scheme the talent to win some games, this is why Stoops is considered a great coach.

Recruit then Develop.

My gut says CCL can develop players. The jury is still out on recruiting. We need to get some of these 4 stars to buy into the program and then develop them. That is the difference between 2-5 wins vs. 6-9 wins and going bowling.

Some boring stats from various teams consistently winning and going to bowls:

Recruiting from 2017-2021

Alabama - 5 star=22 / 4 star=89 / record = 64-6 / 2 National Championships, 2 National Championship Runner- ups, 1 Bowl

Ohio State - 5 star=21 / 4 star=71 / record = 56-7 / 4 bowls and 1 National Champion Runner-up

Georgia - 5 star=23 / 4 star=74 / record 58-10 / 3 bowls, 1 National Championship, 1 National Championship Runner-up

Michigan - 5 star=5 / 4 star=66 / record 41-18 / 4 Bowl Games

Southern Cal - 5 star=12 / 4 star=46 / record 32-20 / 2 bowl games

LSU - 5 star=7 / 4 star=66 / record 45-19 / 3 Bowl games and one National Championship

Florida - 5 star=2 / 4 star=73 / record 39-23 / 4 bowl games

Kentucky - 5 star= 0 / 4 star=22 / record 40-23 / 5 bowl games

Vandy - 5 star= 0 / 4 star=4 / record 16-42 / 1 bowl game
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Direct, but not absolute, correlation between recruit rankings over rolling 4 year periods, and the team ranking at seasons end of that fourth year. How do I know, I spent some time looking at it. Yes, there are low star individual player successes, and the occasional team that breaks through to a top 20 ranking. But it is fairly constant
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I think we're burying the lead here. Did anybody else walk away from this season thinking CCL needs to fire his whole staff except for Jovan Haye? I would imagine that is an outlier opinion. I'm in strong favor of keeping the entire staff together given the progress we saw in player development and execution this year.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:56 am I think we're burying the lead here. Did anybody else walk away from this season thinking CCL needs to fire his whole staff except for Jovan Haye? I would imagine that is an outlier opinion. I'm in strong favor of keeping the entire staff together given the progress we saw in player development and execution this year.
I have to agree. Look what our staff was able to do with what they have. I know people are going to gripe about our secondary and lining up corners 45 yards off the receiver, but the alternate scenario was probably worse. We just need more speed and athleticism (and experience) back there.

Leave the staff as is. Fine with me. I didn't expect us to be anything but terrible this year, yet we managed five wins. Plus it gives the players continuity.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I have very little critique of our staff. I was we were more creative with the offense, but that's nitpicking. A lot of the freshmen played this year. That tells you that we're recruiting better talent.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

The last 2 years our 4-stars didn’t make it thru their freshman year!
Locked Previous topicNext topic