This WAS a winnable game

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

This WAS a winnable game

Post by jeff93 »

Need to play our 5 best players 30+ minutes per game and put an end to the ridiculous turnovers

utahozzie
Commander

Re: This WAS a winnable game

Post by utahozzie »

Do we have 5 players worth playing 30 mins? I’m legit asking
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Stackhouse, Mason, White…..all terrible hires
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

The discouraging thing about this game was we had several of our best players perform well - Wright (22 pts), Lawrence (13 pts), Stute (12 pts) and Robbins (13 pts) all had solid games on respectable FG%. I had no problem with their shot selection either.

If you told me:
* 4 of our top 5 players would put up double digits on solid FG%
* the opposing team would shoot 56% from the FT stripe
* we'd have a similar number of Turnovers (13 for St Marys, 14 for Vandy)
* we held one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country to just 3 made 3s on 27.3% FGA

I would have said Vandy wins this one, possibly comfortably. But we got completely exposed on the pick and roll and got absolutely nothing out of our bench** - legitimately, 0 points. Dia and Smith will take some time to catch up to this level of competition, I fear this is a preview of what we could expect in SEC play til the game slows down for these two. Pretty annoying that Shelby and Dort aren't going to get much exposure barring more injuries or blowouts.

If you watched this game, it was close and we gave a great effort (especially in the first half), but we were rarely, if ever, in control. We were only able to keep it close in spite of their shooting woes. Not sure what CJS' message is to the team after this one. Hopefully we can bounce back tonight against a Fresno St team that is seemingly better than their 1-4 record indicates.

** I am counting Liam as the starter here, even though he came off the bench, he played more minutes than QMB and was the hotter hand.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

we shot ft's decently for a change. would be nice if that became a habit.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VUPKS wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 am Stackhousebryce drew, Mason, White…..all terrible hires
FIFY

Hey, at least we dodged a bullet by not hiring Will Healy.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Drew - Lee, Nesmith, Pippen, garland, Shittu, Disu

At least he brought in players. Agree his record sucked. But now we are bad and can’t seem to recruit. Stackhouse best recruit? Jordan Wright.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

It seems like we're finally bringing in players, we're just not playing them! I think in a year we'll hopefully say Dia or Colin Smith are the best Stackhouse recruits, and Dort and Shelby on paper are no slouches either (Lewis TBD). If only we can get them some more meaningful playing time...

We're in a tough spot where we finally are no longer a young team. We have plenty of upper classmen - the problem is they just haven't yet shown they can compete at a tournament-team level (without Chatman and SPJ, at least). So our veterans are getting the bulk of the minutes, yet thus far we're performing more like an NIT team.

At what point do we cut our losses and get our future core significant PT together? Help solidify the group, prevent unnecessary transfers (see Dezonie, Shane), etc. It's I don't think we're there yet; I just wish we'd find ways to hedge and get our future more floor time.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

bryce drew??

Back to back 20 loss seasons.
First Vanderbilt Basketball Coach With a 20 Loss Season
Worst losing streak in program history
Worst SEC record in school history
Worst SEC season in SEC history

Should I keep going? The bryce drew/will healy club will cling to those two forever. And ever.

How did your healy end up?
https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/23/c ... will-healy
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Paul Lewis has been a serviceable backup PG so far. But PG depth may be this team’s Achilles heel. Last night Manjon had a rough outing, and not having Lewis due to injury hurt quite a bit.
Obviously getting beat time-and-again by the pick and roll was really problematic last night. But from a coaching standpoint, the team sold out to stop the 3 against the #11 3-point shooting team in the nation. That part of the game plan worked. But the lack of adjustment to get inside the paint and stop the pick and roll that tore them up was problematic.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

They didn't have to shoot the 3 cause they wore us out inside especially the pick and roll. We press and then leave their 7 footer all alone underneath basket for a dunk!! How do you not make adjustments??? Coaching 😠
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am bryce drew??

Back to back 20 loss seasons.
First Vanderbilt Basketball Coach With a 20 Loss Season
Worst losing streak in program history
Worst SEC record in school history
Worst SEC season in SEC history

Should I keep going? The bryce drew/will healy club will cling to those two forever. And ever.

How did your healy end up?
https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/23/c ... will-healy
Stack and Drew have very similar overall W-L records at Vandy. Drew under achieved with much more talent. Stack has been bad all around. Not sure what “club” you are referring to - but I do like having former VU players in the NBA. I hope stack turns it around, this years frosh have potential. Hope they don’t all leave like his previous class
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

What club? The one that took over the Rivals forum. The militantly pro-drew/pro-healy one.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We ALL know Drew sucked but recruited well.....Enough with your obsession with him and Will Healy already!!! We get it!!!!! Geez....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I'm not the one who militantly supported drew/healy and apparently still do. We hear from them anytime something doesn't go our way in basketball or football. They still exist.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

VUPKS wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:50 am Drew - Lee, Nesmith, Pippen, garland, Shittu, Disu

At least he brought in players. Agree his record sucked. But now we are bad and can’t seem to recruit. Stackhouse best recruit? Jordan Wright.
Be careful, to be popular on this board you aren't allowed to say anything nice about xCBD as he is supposed to be universally hated for clapping on the sidelines and he is solely responsible for the 0-18 SEC record in 2019. The man just apparently forgot how to coach while on the Vandy sidelines for 3 seasons but seems fine everywhere else he goes. ;) I have been called tons of names on this board for having that opinion but we'll see what CJS and his entourage can produce this season and in the upcoming years. I'll continue pulling for the black and gold like I have for 50 years.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cc11316 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:42 pm
VUPKS wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:50 am Drew - Lee, Nesmith, Pippen, garland, Shittu, Disu

Be careful, to be popular on this board you aren't allowed to say anything nice about xCBD as he is supposed to be universally hated for clapping on the sidelines and he is solely responsible for the 0-18 SEC record in 2019. The man just apparently forgot how to coach while on the Vandy sidelines for 3 seasons but seems fine everywhere else he goes. ;) I have been called tons of names on this board for having that opinion but we'll see what CJS and his entourage can produce this season and in the upcoming years. I'll continue pulling for the black and gold like I have for 50 years.
I have been following Vanderbilt basketball since 1964. I have never seen a more worthless coach in my life. To do so little with so much was near criminal.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Stack knows and coaches more basketball than Drew ever did at VU. That is already clear. Stack's recruiting is improved and will continue to do so. Don't forget that ls the one skill he never had to learn before being selected coach at VU.
Locked Previous topicNext topic